The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Yoosta B. Blue

Brass from Academy

Folks, I have a few empty boxes of brass that I kept from some factory rounds that I purchased from Academy. These are .357 magnum and the brand is "Monarch." They have three characters on the headstamp that appear to be an upside down "Y" followed by "NN." (These may be Russian characters, though I'm not certain.) Just wondering here if these casings are suitable for reloading? Thanks!

Yoosta B. Blue
Old February 27, 2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Sevens

http://cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm

rvi Partizan-Namenska Proizvodnja, Titovo, Uzice 31000, Yugoslavia. These are actually Cyrillic letters equal to "PPU" in the Western alphabet.

I have some of this brass and it seems to work quite well.

One brand of brass that has not impressed me is Selior & Bellot, and one brand of brass that has NEVER IMPRESSED ANYONE, and is almost universally accepted as the worst brass ever created by God or man, and is so bad that I wouldn't even allow it's bad mojo to pollute a pile of scrap metal, is A-Merc, or brass from "American" company.

That stuff is horrible.
Old February 27, 2008, 10:15 AM   #3
geocole

I have loaded Monarch in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP. Have had no problems with the brass.
I was told by a Academy sporting good manager that Monarch is made in Russia for Academy.
Old February 28, 2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Yoosta B. Blue

I appreciate these helpful replies from you good men. I'll save this brass and reload it in the near future.

YBB
Old February 29, 2008, 02:00 PM   #5
NavyLT

Yep, I reload it all the time.