The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2000, 08:59 PM   #1
asabo

Hello and thanks for reading this,, I bought a brand new S & W 40 model 411 back in 1993. it was promptly stolen befor I ever had a chance to fire it,, long story,, dont ask,,
anyhow,, last week I got the gun back from the cop shop,, they had busted a guy in Seattle with it,, the problem is that for the life of me I cannot get the thing apart,, I
have tried and tried to push that button out on the side of the slide and have only come
back with a hole in my finger !!! I'm thinking there must be a trick here,, any ideas ? I have already sent for the owners manual ,, but I want to clean it ,,,
Old November 6, 2000, 12:46 AM   #2
Badger Arms

1) Remove magazine.
2) Retract slide completely and inspect chamber to ensure it is unloaded.
3) Hold gun in right hand with left side of gun facing you and right index finger on slide stop "button" portruding from right side of frame.
4) With the safety in the off position, allign the "notch" on the left side of the slide with the slide stop. You'll note by looking at the front of the slide stop that this allows you to push the stop through from the opposite side with your index finger. You can now remove the slide stop while holding the slide gently back.
5) Keeping your hand away from the hammer, let the slide ride forward. You'll note that the hammer falls as it rides forward. Remove the slide assembly forward off the gun.
6) Grasp the spring/guide assembly with the thumb and index finger of your right hand. Push slightly forward and away from the slide assembly making sure the to gently relieve pressure.
7) Pull up and out on the barrel removing it from the bottom of the slide.

Reassembly is accomplished in essentially the reverse order. Ensure that the recoil spring guide rests in its half-moon recess in the barrel. When sliding the slide back on the frame, make sure you depress the three levers in the back so they don't get damaged. Any questions?
Old November 6, 2000, 08:49 PM   #3
asabo

THANK YOU !!

Worked like a charm,,,,,,,,

I felt rather dumb,, but turned out that none of my gun nut friends could get it apart either !!! So Thank you again,,,,,,,,

Andy