The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 3, 2005, 03:38 PM   #1
TheDuke

Post 64 Model 70

Howdy Y'all,
I need to strip the striker mechanisim from my Model 70 Winchester...I got the assembly disconnected from the bolt, but what is the next step involved to remove the firing pin and safety mechanisims...
Thanks.
TheDuke
NRA Life Member since 1971
Old September 3, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2
jroth

I believ...

you need to place the tip of the firing pin against a wood bloack and press forward until the spring is relieved and the retaining washer is push off-side and SLOWLY relax then everything is relieve.
Its late I check a disassembly manual and confirm.
Old September 4, 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
TheDuke

"place the tip of the firing pin against a wood"

Thanks..I tried to do that..similar to a 98 Mauser..but neither the pin nor the spring wants to budge..

However, what I at first thought to be a 'two piece' firing pin may actually be a spring retaining washer that I believe is going to come off pretty easy...This should free the spring..Then what?

Ive a safety that wants to lock up in the fire position...taking a little hand pressure and some light taps on the top to free it to the safe position...

It was not doing this last year and there is no rust or gummed oil in the safety plunger or detents...So I figured I need to take it apart and see..

I appreciate the help..Ron
Old September 4, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I saw that last night and was just too tired to respond. I am afraid you will be pushing for a long while as the Model 70 is made like the Springfield M1903, not like the Mauser.

To answer your question, grasp the spring at the front and pull it toward the rear. This takes tension off the spring retainer and you slip the retainer off sideways (it is a heavy "C" washer). Then release the spring carefully and let it come forward. The firing pin and cocking piece can then be pulled out of the bolt sleeve to the rear.

Jim
Old September 4, 2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Zekewolf

I'd get a little Kroil into that stubborn safety, then lube properly, before doing any disassembly work.
Old September 4, 2005, 04:31 PM   #6
cntryboy1289

similar problem

I have had mine lock up on me and seemed like it wouldn't move. I sprayed it down well with gun scrubber and then pushed from directly behind and it worked fine. I found I was canting my pressure by my thumb and it would lock the safety up. After I got it cleaned out it worked fine either way I pushed on it, but now and then I can lock it up when I do it on purpose. What I mean by canting the pressure is I was pushing more upward than forward. Try it and see if it works before taking the safety apart.
Old September 6, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
TheDuke

Morning Y'all,
First may I say thanks to everyone who replied to my post..Aient the internet grand!!

Second I got that puppy whipped this morning..And back in business with a fully functioning safety on my Model 70....Slicker now than ever..

Third...For anyone else who may browse the forum for a similar problem, I will endevor to explain what I found to be the problem and how I fixed it...I dont say this fix is right for everyone with a stuck safety on a Model 70, but this worked for me with my particular problem.

After disassembing the bolt and then the firing pin assembly...I noted a worn area with some burring at the rear of the firing pin where the safety, when rotated to the 'safe' position, locks the firing pin...This is what was causing the safety to 'lock up' in the firing position and refuse to go into safety... A little dressing of the worn shoulder with a fine cut Swiss file and followed by 400 grit paper and the problem was solved.

Thanks again to all for the help!!
Old September 8, 2005, 08:05 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just a general word of caution. That safety not only locks the firing pin, it cams it back off the sear. You want to make sure you didn't remove enough metal to prevent that from happening.

So run a simple test. Make sure the rifle is empty, then close the bolt and set the safety on. Pull the trigger, hard. Let off the trigger and release the safety. If the gun "fires", you have a problem best taken to a gunsmith or Winchester.

Jim
Old September 8, 2005, 08:23 PM   #9
TheDuke

Hey Jim,
Thank you for the excellent advise and words of caution....

I tried out the thing with a heavy pull on the trigger with the safety on and it seems to be working just fine...I may remove the scope and give it a drop test to make sure..

Once again, your sound advise is much appreciated.