The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 7, 2010, 10:12 PM   #76
B. Lahey

Quote:
The "possum" tactic
Hey, don't underestimate the deterrent power of releasing heinous odors. Just ask Wildalaska.
Old May 8, 2010, 07:40 AM   #77
MTT TL

Most Useless Things in Self Defense- Monday morning QB of the dead guy. Sure you might learn something from it but it is too late for the dead guy.

Lack of initiative. Of course too much might get you killed too.
Old May 8, 2010, 09:10 PM   #78
Bones

Empty brass in your pocket, not on the floor with your empty speed loader...
Old May 9, 2010, 02:50 PM   #79
jon_in_wv

Quote:
Hey, don't underestimate the deterrent power of releasing heinous odors. Just ask Wildalaska.
I'm not a biologist but wouldn't that be a skunk? I'm referring to the tactic of playing dead, like an opossum.
Old May 9, 2010, 03:13 PM   #80
B. Lahey

Quote:
I'm not a biologist but wouldn't that be a skunk? I'm referring to the tactic of playing dead, like an opossum.
You should go kick a possum before using that phrase again, and see what happens. Be sure to breathe deeply, it's one of the worst smells on earth. They release the stank to make the "playing dead" more realistic.

Pheeeeeeew!
Old May 9, 2010, 03:55 PM   #81
animal

Well they stink all right, but nothin' like a skunk ... or Wildalaska
Old May 9, 2010, 03:56 PM   #82
Firepower!

Here is my list:
*Practice that you think is useful when playing computer game.
*The make of your gun
*The caliber of your gun
*The percentage of popularity of your gun in web polls
*3.5lbs connector, trigger adjuster, porting, compensating, threaded barrel....etc.
*titanium sights
Old May 9, 2010, 07:29 PM   #83
jon_in_wv

Quote:
You should go kick a possum before using that phrase again, and see what happens. Be sure to breathe deeply, it's one of the worst smells on earth. They release the stank to make the "playing dead" more realistic.
See, I told you I wasn't a biologist. I had no idea they did that.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:14 AM   #84
animal

Most of an opossum’s odor comes from a diet of carrion. They’ll urinate or defecate sometimes when they are scared. Maybe that’s what the guy was talking about? They have musk glands but their musk is no worse than any other wild animal, imo.

The people that like to eat ‘em usually like to catch them, pen them up for a couple of weeks, and feed them corn and vegetable scraps …. to "clean them out". They don’t smell that bad and after that, and taste a lot better.
I’m not a biologist either, but I’ve caught quite a few of them (almost always give them away… (not really my choice of meat, and too much trouble for it). Common method of capture is to chase them down and kick them or hit them with a broom handle. It usually takes more than one hit to get it to play dead. Then you pick it up by the tail. They "come to" then, but can’t get to you because the tail is too weak to for them to pull themselves up by it. Then, drop ‘em in a burlap bag or cage… easy.

Oh yeah, the OP question …

any emotion
any distraction
anything in your sights besides BG’s center of mass
Old May 17, 2010, 04:05 AM   #85
Piffin

A mind that is empty or dull

A gun that is empty or elsewhere

A reliance on others, or the 'system' to defend you

On that last, as I read this thread, the discussion of paranoia that led to fire drills and codes where Eskimo thought that fire drills are not important...He thought that a house built to code means no need for the drill. That reliance on a code to save him shows the same kind of thinking as relying on 911 and a presumable near-by officer to save him, or relying on the Social Security sytsem to provide for his retirement.

Besides, I am a builder and know that codes do NOT require an egress window/opening in every room, only the ones where people sleep. Most code provisions are to add a level of safety to the fireman who might enter that dwelling trying to save your sleeping butt and belongings, not to prevent the fire from happening. That is the job of the resident.