The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 22, 2010, 10:25 AM   #76
firespectrum

Well Rangefinder, I guess if you happen to be Zorro then swords are a bit more useful - I stand corrected.
Old January 22, 2010, 11:44 AM   #77
RonC

Quote:
True. But now he's armed with swords and bats and I've still got my gun...
That conjures up the vision of Raiders of the Lost Ark when the fellow with the sword deftly juggles it all around in a gesture of defiance and arrogance and Harrison Ford shoots him.

Ron
Old March 8, 2010, 09:45 AM   #78
semi_problomatic

I mean really, "oh no, he's got a cheap, very dull, display sword! What ever should I do?"

duh duh duh.....

"oh yeah, just shoot him with my sig sauer P229 thats locked and loaded right here in arms reach...."

waaaaa oooooOOOoooo *dramatic ninja stance*

!!BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG!!

*dramatic dead ninja scene*

Roll credits

I'd like my oscar now.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:47 PM   #79
Helios

I have a two matching Japanese nodachi swords I received as gifts from a family member. These swords are largely decorative and are displayed in my office. These are not low dollar fleamarket hunks of junk but I wouldn't call them "professional" grade either (for the lack of a better term).

The swords although being reproductions are moderately sharp, probably a degree greater than your average off the shelf hunting knife. I have out of curiosity hacked up a few water melons with them to see what they were capable of. After seeing them whip through the melons like a fart in the wind I am confident they could do some incredible damage to a two-legged critter.

That said, the BG would get the bang bang treatment before the chop chop treatment.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:41 PM   #80
Ian0351

I have a cheapo sword in my office, my KA-BAR from my grunt days on the nightstand (in addition to the guns of course...) random implements of mass destruction in the garage (Tim Allen sound). I would like to have a warhammer, or maybe a battleaxe... especially considering the recent trends in prices and availability of ammunition!

Semper Fidelis
Old April 7, 2010, 06:42 PM   #81
kgpcr

several claymores
Smith M&P 40
Old April 7, 2010, 07:43 PM   #82
BlackFeather

I may have been the one the OP read about. I reach for my katana before my shotgun in almost every case. The shotgun is my fall back weapon. The belt for my shotgun shells has my spike bayonet that I made a handle for. The katana is extremely sharp and was not cheap.

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old April 7, 2010, 11:09 PM   #83
indykappa

former Division-I baseball player...i can weild a bat pretty well.

but in all likelihood, if you break into my home, i'm throwing JHPs at your roody poo candy axx
Old April 8, 2010, 07:35 AM   #84
SSgt Facebreaker

I have a few baseball bats stashed around the house behind doors and such. In my truck I keep a hatchet under the seat and a hickory pickaxe handle in the back seat.
Old April 8, 2010, 09:52 AM   #85
towelie

Two large pittbulls.

A 5 foot solid stick.

A multitool with screwdriver protruding to be fitted between knuckles.

If you firmly grasp a bic lighter, your fist can endure harder punches without the knuckles collapsing from impact.

I was a red belt in judo

If a potentially deadly situation arises, I have a PT92 9 Millimeter.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:09 AM   #86
JohnH1963

Here is the thing about close quarters combat and weaponry. Since there is little room to retreat, you may just have one shot if the person decides to charge at you. So you may just get one swing with the axe or sword and hopefully the other person does not grab it out of your hands.

Here is something to practice which might make for a good youtube video too Take a long object like a bat and wave it back and forth in front of you while yelling your war cry. This type of action will keep someone back and might psychologically stop them from charging at you in close quarters.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:57 AM   #87
nefprotector

Made in the USA Louisville Slugger! I also have an ASP baton, 4ft Hickory stick, FOX pepper spray.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:02 PM   #88
jaughtman

I got the best....

a voracious and vicious (looking) LabraBull (Pittbull and Lab mutt) that will not let anything suspicious get by. Unfortunately, he only looks vicious - extremely people friendly once he can come up and sniff you. He will bark at anything however and that will give me time to put my glasses on, get the Glock out, etc.
Old April 8, 2010, 08:35 PM   #89
biohazurd

I think some type of melee weapon in benificial in a home defence scenario, I keep a katana in my room just in case i ever ran out of ammo, (yeah right.) But i am mostly reserving that for when SHTF, Thats when a melee weapon would really be needed IMO.
Old April 8, 2010, 10:15 PM   #90
Webleymkv

Interesting thread. I do keep a Cold Steel Counter Tac II next to my revolver at night. There's also a cheap display katana in the corner by the dresser, but it's just a souvenir and I never really considered it to be part of my HD plan.
Old April 9, 2010, 05:19 AM   #91
guntotin_fool

I sleep with a .45 gov't under my pillow, used to be a commander, but I decided to turn that into a BBQ gun. so its back to a Gov't.

two dogs for warning, A wife who sleeps wtih her .45 ltwt commander under her pillow and few 870's in the corner, I frankly see no reason for anything else. you come in MY house without an invite and have bad intent, I am shooting you. its simple, I am not going to stan musial on your butt, nor bruce lee or Cyrano de Bergerac with an Epee. I am going to shoot you. simple.
Old April 9, 2010, 07:29 AM   #92
Enoy21

Quote:
Other than a Glock 21...Mossberg 500 DPG 12 gauge loaded with 3" 000 buck...Baby Kabar (I should have bought a full size Kabar)...Short aluminum bat that is "intended" for use on large fish, they're sold at sporting goods shops that carry offshore tackle...If You look close enough, You'll usually find a "set" of 'knucks on or around "my person" when I'm home...

LMAO Damn man...... Expecting a Zombie attack next week ?
Old April 9, 2010, 07:32 AM   #93
Enoy21

By my Bed is just my Glock 23 and Flash light. In the closet heading toward the Door is a Softball bat..... unfortunately I wouldn't have much room to swing that inside , so it's rather useless for that purpose.

Oh , and a really dumb but lovable dog that is good for sounding alarm provided the intruder atleast woke him up.

Last edited by Enoy21; April 9, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old April 9, 2010, 03:36 PM   #94
markj

Always keep a large pan of water boiling on the stove. I got a stove in every room ond two in the bedroom all have a large pan of boiling water..... never know when a chicken will attack.

Always great to have a plan in place.

Found out the little kitty that is now a cat will attack, I was headed up to the house after shutting up the kennels and barn when out of the dark comes a grey streak right for the ankles. I could have fallen down if I hadnt seen that flash of grey.
Old April 9, 2010, 06:41 PM   #95
Smoke Screen

Hmmm...as a back up weapon? Obviously anyone who breaks into my place sure as heck doesn't know my wife very well! J/k...I have a nasty tomahawk and big knife I'd like to think I can use fairly well...

For my vehicles, I carry a lightweight yet skull crushing bat in each. I have knive's and a couple B.U.G.'s in my seventy two hour kits in each of the vehicles too, but if I don't have enough time, or if my concealed weapon fails, a bat is eeeeeasy to grab. Plus, they can come in handy if I ever have to break a window or pry somebody out of a car in an accident.
Old April 9, 2010, 09:53 PM   #96
w_houle

Quote:
I thought baseball bat was a given. I recently added a golf club , just to make sure lol
Just make sure it isnt a carbon fiber one
Old April 11, 2010, 04:10 PM   #97
FreakGasolineFight

I have an old cavalry saber dated 'round about 1856 beside my bed. It's not a weapon, though, I just have no other place to store it safely.

If for some ridiculous reason I couldn't access the 9mm under my pillow or the .45 in my nightstand I suppose it wouldn't be the very worst weapon in the entire world to have. But I'd never use it unless I had to.
Old April 12, 2010, 09:15 PM   #98
XR750

I have a police baton by the door S&W 6906 in the drawer by my chair 357 Mag in the night stand mini14 in the corner of the bedroom mossberg 590 den closet S&W 5906 in the kitchen.
XR750.
Old April 13, 2010, 04:05 PM   #99
markj

Molotov cocktails by the door for those night time attacks.

Napalm in the hudson sprayer, it is able to use this without thinning the mixture first.
Old April 14, 2010, 12:03 PM   #100
hagar

Five foot rubber whip, ex South African Police force issue. I beat feral dogs and the aggresive white goose on the lake with it. Would also be employed on jehovas wittnesses and door to door salesmen that do not want to leave..