The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 17, 2019, 10:50 PM   #1
reteach

New Ruger?

Over on another forum one of the members noticed that Ruger has copyrighted the name Wrangler. Yes, that name is already in use, but Wrangler jeans and Jeep Wrangler have gotten along fine for a long time.

Has anyone heard of this? It will be fun to guess what they're up to, but even more fun would be hearing from someone who really knows what new thing will be introduced. One of you Firing Line sages please tell us.
Old April 17, 2019, 11:39 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Maybe a lever action saddle ring carbine to go along with the Vaquero for cowboy action shooting?
Old April 18, 2019, 01:37 AM   #3
10-96

I don't do the SAS games, but I've always wondered why no one has done a modern rendition of the Colt 1877(?) double action cowboy setup. Although the original was famously fragile in it's workings, it does fit the timelines SAS goes by- right? I'd like to see a modern (and modernly reliable) double action themed handgun in .45 Long Colt- or actually in all the commonly used SAS calibers.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 18, 2019, 06:40 AM   #4
CajunBass

At one time Jeep used an upholstery that looked like blue jean material, and had brass "buttons" with Wrangler name. I guess they did that for a couple of years before switching to a generic brass button, but the name remained.

To stay on topic, I got no idea what the Ruger Wrangler might be.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 18, 2019, 09:31 AM   #5
reteach

Quote:
Maybe a lever action saddle ring carbine to go along with the Vaquero for cowboy action shooting?
Quote:
a modern rendition of the Colt 1877(?) double action cowboy setup
I like those guesses very much. I'd be all over either one of those. However, the rumor is strongly in favor of a single action revolver.
Old April 18, 2019, 12:06 PM   #6
TruthTellers

They're a cheap .22 single action revolver most likely made to compete with Heritage.

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

We'll see what price these sell for on Black Friday, the some of the Heritage's are $99 and I don't see Ruger competing with that price wise. Maybe the lowest would be 120-125, but that's paying a bit more for a Ruger and what comes along with that, i.e customer service.

I have my 9 shot Heritage .22/.22Mag combo with adjustable sights and got it for the same price as these new 6 shot Wranglers will sell for.

I'm not impressed, but it's nice to see another option besides just Heritage. Competition is good.
Old April 18, 2019, 03:29 PM   #7
aarondhgraham

Wow, I just looked at that web page,,,

Wow, I just looked at that web page,,,
That is one ugly looking revolver!

Is it just me or does the barrel look to be somewhat fat?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 18, 2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Colorado Redneck

Thick barrel...

A matter of perspective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cim_rs410__89956.1504806474.jpg (36.3 KB, 183 views)
Old April 19, 2019, 11:22 PM   #9
stinkeypete

Shots Fired! Ruger takes on Heritage... discuss!

https://ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.htmlhttp://

It looks to me like they rebuilt an old Single Six .22 LR with a new aluminum frame alloy. I love the old style rubber ruger grips.

MSRP $249. 30 oz.. or about 6 oz lighter than the steel frame.

I don't care for the Heritage's goofy looking safety, but the price is sure right. It made them tempting for knocking about.

For just a little more, I'll soon be able to get a Ruger Wrangler. Except I just got back from the toy store. Except so much want!

Marketing has decided it's for beginners. I think it's for pistoleros that want something less costly than a single-10 for a field gun.

Discuss!
Old April 20, 2019, 12:58 AM   #10
Ricekila

Heres the question ?

Can I stuff a Wrangler in my Wrangler's -- when I drive my Wrangler ?

Μολών Λaβέ
Old April 20, 2019, 01:07 AM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I thought all Single Sixes had alloy frames.
Old April 20, 2019, 06:41 AM   #12
LeverGunFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Technically, steel is an alloy... but I presume you are referring to aluminum alloy. The original Single Six was available with both a steel frame and a special lightweight model with aluminum frame and cylinder. The New Model Single Six introduced in 1973 is only available with a steel frame - unless I've missed a special variation.
Old April 20, 2019, 07:12 AM   #13
223 shooter

Quote:
Only the grip frames are aluminum on the blued Single Sixes with the exception of the Bisley. The stainless versions have all steel grip frames. The "main frame" surrounding the cylinder is steel on all current versions.
Old April 20, 2019, 07:38 AM   #14
Apple a Day

I want one. I had a Heritage for years, put three gazillion rounds through it, started a number of new shooters on it. I replaced it with a bearcat because it's higher quality. I think the Wrangler will be a good balance of cost and quality plus a ton of fun. I'm definitely going to get one within the next year
Old April 20, 2019, 07:56 AM   #15
TxFlyFish

Needs MOAR grips where punisher, no step on snek and melon labe
Old April 20, 2019, 07:57 AM   #16
Targa

Very nice but I would really like to see a lower priced DA .22lr revolver option maybe based off a SP101 or GP100.
Old April 20, 2019, 08:21 AM   #17
CajunBass

The Wrangler reminds me a lot of the 50th anniversary Single-Six. Same basic gun, but the 50th has a steel frame, and is a lot better finished.

I can assure you, these cost a lot more than $250.00, even way back in the day when it was new.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 20, 2019, 08:37 AM   #18
wild cat mccane

Heritage has a 9 shot cylinder.
Heritage has 4, 6, 9, and 16 inch barrels.
Heritage has 22 mag.
Old April 20, 2019, 09:41 AM   #19
seeker_two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
Heres the question ?

Can I stuff a Wrangler in my Wrangler's -- when I drive my Wrangler ?
If you can wrangle it.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old April 20, 2019, 09:42 AM   #20
stinkeypete

Calm down, Wild Cat!

Heritage now has some competition in their market niche. Without doubt, Heritage created that space and good for them.

What I do not expect to see anytime soon is a Ruger Wrangler with adjustable target sights. That would only cannibalize sales from the steel (yea, steel is not pure iron, it’s an alloy) frame single six family. These are frankly too expensive right now.

I want to dress one up to look as much like my bearcat as I can!
Old April 20, 2019, 11:15 AM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I paid $350 for a Single Six convertible back in 2000. I'm sure the price has gone up quite a bit since then. I certainly applaud Ruger doing something to get the price down for a Single Six, although I don't understand why/how an aluminum alloy frame is significantly less expensive than a steel frame. In general, aluminum isn't a cheap material. Zamack would be cheaper, and is entirely adequate for a .22. Back in the 60s I had a German-made, .22 LR cowboy six shooter that had a Zamack frame. I put a lot of rounds through that little gun and it never gave me any problems.

Can anyone explain why the new Wrangler has two lines running around the rear of the cylinder? They detract from the appearance, IMHO, and I can't see that they serve any functional purpose.
Old April 20, 2019, 11:21 AM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

WHOA!

https://ruger.com/productImages/2002/detail/2.jpg

The front of the cylinder shows rings around the mouth of each chamber. Clicking on the spec sheet, I see that Ruger says the cylinder and frame are aluminum alloy. Does this mean that the cylinder is made of aluminum, and the chambers are steel sleeves pressed into the aluminum cylinder?
Old April 20, 2019, 11:58 AM   #23
TxFlyFish

Hmm can’t tell exactly it does kinda look like it. I think heritage is steel cylinder. Well on the plus side ruger will finally have adjustable chamber throats yay!
Old April 20, 2019, 12:05 PM   #24
Chettt

When Phoenix Arms, Hi Point and Taurus can make money on sub two hundred dollar hand guns, you have to wonder how much profit these larger companies with highly efficient manufacturing make on each sale. I am glad they are successful and profitable but I would bet Ruger could blister pack their LCP, sell it for less than 100 dollars and still make a sizable profit.
Old April 20, 2019, 12:14 PM   #25
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
WHOA!

https://ruger.com/productImages/2002/detail/2.jpg

The front of the cylinder shows rings around the mouth of each chamber. Clicking on the spec sheet, I see that Ruger says the cylinder and frame are aluminum alloy. Does this mean that the cylinder is made of aluminum, and the chambers are steel sleeves pressed into the aluminum cylinder?
It says cylinder frame material, which means the frame around the cylinder, not the cylinder itself. The grip frame is zamak.

The cylinder is not made of aluminum. If it was, this thing would weigh a lot less.