The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

6 Remmy AI

I just dropped my GEW Mauser off at my gunsmith who is chambering a Bartlein barrel in 6mm AI, 1/7 twist. 26" with 11 degree target crown. Straight taper. Adjustable timney trigger also. He is also reaming me a sizing die blank from the chamber reamer.
I got a great deal, $100 for the barrel which was 32" and used by him for BR but after 600 rounds he couldn't use Berger's any more and the groups "opened up" from 1/8 moa to 1/4 moa. So he is cutting 5.5" off at the chamber end and 1/2" off the muzzle to re-crown.

Meanwhile I'm getting to work on the stock.

It is going to be a coyote gun and I'll probably try and bullets over 100 gr given the tight twist.

I have never owned or loaded for an Ackley. Should be fun!
Old September 9, 2017, 08:05 AM   #2
hounddawg

great choice Mississippi, here is a good article from over at 6mm BR on the 6 AI.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek042.html

Just out of curiosity what brass will you be starting with and how will you be forming it

Last edited by hounddawg; September 9, 2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old September 9, 2017, 10:29 PM   #3
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what brass will you be starting with and how will you be forming it
Good question. I have never Ackley'd any Brass before. I'm reluctant to start with high quality lapua or equivalent brass initially.

It seems that the simple solution is to shoot some factory 6mm through it with a brass I want to keep and from what I understand, a full power 6mm case will blow out nicely on one firing. Then I just do an anneal and I'm in business.
Old September 10, 2017, 05:43 AM   #4
brasscollector

Quote:
I got a great deal, $100 for the barrel which was 32" and used by him for BR but after 600 rounds he couldn't use Berger's any more and the groups "opened up" from 1/8 moa to 1/4 moa. So he is cutting 5.5" off at the chamber end and 1/2" off the muzzle to re-crown.
A friend of mine told me about a 308w rifle he had built using a cut down palma barrel. Claimed he was getting something on the order of 100-150fps more velocity compared to his sons 308w with the same barrel length (same load). Said it was easier to clean too.
Old September 10, 2017, 08:05 AM   #5
std7mag

Wait...
Did you say he's using the chamber reamer to do your sizing die?
I thought sizing die was generally smaller, by a few thousandths, than the chamber.
Old September 10, 2017, 08:43 AM   #6
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Wait...
Did you say he's using the chamber reamer to do your sizing die?
I thought sizing die was generally smaller, by a few thousandths, than the chamber.

I'm sorry, I meant to say he is using the chamber partner sizing reamer from PTG. Basically they are a set.

I texted him this morning to verify and that is the case. The die will Also have to be hardned after reaming because blanks come soft.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:12 PM   #7
oldscot3

Quote:
Good question. I have never Ackley'd any Brass before. I'm reluctant to start with high quality lapua or equivalent brass initially.
Any kind of 6mm Rem brass has been hard to find for awhile. Factory ammo has been becoming available lately though. I suspect you are right that you will have to run some factory loads through it to get brass. Unless something has happened lately that I don't know about, there just isn't any match grade brass made by Lapua or anybody else. If there is, please let me know, I"d love to have some.