The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 9, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1
70extreme

Arizona gun laws for Universities

I live in California. I will be visiting a college with my son in Arizona. We would like to bring our shotguns for a quail hunt during the trip.

Can I legally have our unloaded shotguns in the trunk of my car on school grounds?

With the new laws, can a California resident CCW in Arizona without a permit (not on campus)?
Old December 9, 2010, 03:02 PM   #2
AH.74

Yes to school grounds- unloaded and locked in the trunk is ok.

Yes to CCW without a permit in AZ for non-residents as long as you are legal to own/possess.

It's all at handgunlaw.us; check it out.
Old December 10, 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Gary Slider

Saw your post and it made me look so I am going to add this info to the AZ page at Handgunlaw.us Here is what will be posted to the AZ page when I make the major update on 1/1/11. Hope this helps. The Note added at the bottom is my words. The rest comes from the Policy manual for the Board of Regents. Here is the link for the below info.

https://azregents.asu.edu/rrc/Policy Manual/5Section_C - Code of Conduct - Chapter 5.pdf

Arizona Board Of Regents (Covers the Three AZ State Universities)

5-301 Student Code of Conduct Preamble
C. Purpose and Intent
1. The primary purpose for the enactment of this Code of Conduct is to set forth in a clear and concise manner the rules and regulations of conduct expected of those who join the university community, or who are present on the university campus or participating in any university-sponsored activity.

5-303Student Code of Conduct Prohibited Conduct
The following misconduct is subject to disciplinary action:
3. Unauthorized use, possession or storage of any weapon, explosive device or fireworks on the university campus or at a university-sponsored activity except that subject to A.R.S. § 12-781 and other applicable law, a person may lawfully transport or lawfully store a firearm that is both 1) in the person's locked and privately owned motor vehicle or in a locked compartment on the person's privately owned motorcycle, and 2) not visible from the outside of the motor vehicle or motorcycle, although the board or a university may require that vehicles transporting or storing firearms be parked in alternative parking as described in A.R.S. § 12-781..

5-308 Student Code of Conduct
E. Definitions
24 “Weapon” refers to any object or substance designed to (or which could be reasonably expected to) inflict a wound, cause injury, incapacitate, or cause death, including, without limitation, all firearms (loaded and unloaded, simulated and real), devices designed to expel a projectile (such as bb guns, air guns, pellet guns, and potato guns), electronic control devices such as tasers or stun guns, swords, knives with blades of 5 inches or longer, martial arts weapons, bows and arrows, and chemicals such as mace, tear gas, or oleoresin capsicum, but excluding normally available over-the-counter self-defense chemical repellents, chemical repellents labeled “for police use only” or “for law enforcement use only” may not be possessed by the general public.

Note: A.R.S. § 12-781 is the Parking Lot Storage Law. So firearms can be kept in automobiles on campus.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old December 11, 2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A "Student code of conduct" obviously governs students. Since father and son are going to look at colleges, neither is a student, and therefore neither would be subject to the student code of conduct. What, if any, laws or rules pertain to adults and visitors on campus?

And how many colleges and university systems are there in Arizona? ASU is Arizona State University. AFAIK that's a totally different entity than, for example, University of Arizona. Gary, I respectfully suggest that you are extrapolating.
Old December 11, 2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Gary's not extrapolating, the CODE is extrapolating....

5-301 Student Code of Conduct Preamble
C. Purpose and Intent
1. The primary purpose for the enactment of this Code of Conduct is to set forth in a clear and concise manner the rules and regulations of conduct expected of those who join the university community, or who are present on the university campus or participating in any university-sponsored activity.

I don't see how they could enforce something that amounts to policy from a school board, bit it certainly appears to be their intent to apply the code to anyone on campus.
Old December 11, 2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Gary Slider

They are saying they can. It will take a court case to find out what the answer will be. After reading the justification a Judge gave in California today on why the sheriff didn't have to issue a permit to carry to a citizen I would be afraid to carry on an AZ Campus. These Judges are nuts.
Old December 12, 2010, 08:23 AM   #7
AH.74

Gary, do you mean transport or store on an AZ campus?
Old December 12, 2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

My point about extrapolating is that ASU is Arizona State University. The ASU board of regents don't (AFAIK) have anything to do with or say about University of Arizona, or any of the other universities and colleges in Arizona.
Old December 12, 2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Gary Slider

http://www.azregents.edu/policymanual/default.aspx

It is the Arizona Board of Regents who made this rule. The ASU Server is just hosting it. I see the link didn't work in my first post. Reposting that.

Also the rules state that the Parking Lot Storage laws do apply and you can keep firearms in your vehicle in their parking lots.

3. Unauthorized use, possession or storage of any weapon, explosive device or fireworks on the university campus or at a university-sponsored activity except that subject to A.R.S. § 12-781 and other applicable law,

Now they do say other applicable law. This may mean a carry permit but in AZ you can carry without one. But they do state Possession or storage etc etc.

Now can Regents pass such a rule and make it applicable to everyone. I don't know. Can they charge you under this rule? You can be arrested and charged anytime for the breaking of any laws or rules and have your day in court. I am just reporting what they are saying. I am not an attorney. It will take someone testing this rule by the regents to see if it is legal or not.