The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 8, 2017, 02:15 PM   #26
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateKirk View Post
While small game hunting the other day I had the thought, "Why am I carrying my pistol with me when I have a 12ga. shotgun already in my hands?"...What are your thoughts?...
There are lots of things that can happen while hunting that necessitate setting a "long gun" aside. Having a "short gun" on the belt, at all times, seems reasonable.
Old October 8, 2017, 03:34 PM   #27
fredvon4

When I am in the woods/range/outdoors (away from people--not the beach) I have the appropriate side arm for the environment... Snakes..small caliber 32 with shot...Wolves/coyotes/pig-- mid cal CZ 75 9mm ... Bears--- Giant Model 29 Revolver 44 mag

Here on the micro ranch...feral cats, skunks, and possums... Walther PPK 32 daily

hell the thing is proly rusted up I use it so rarely...note to self...clean the dirty carry gun tonight.....grinn.... now where is my gallon of Hoppes
Old October 10, 2017, 07:40 PM   #28
bandanabandit1

Because two is one, and one is none.

Especially when you're out in the wild. Better safe than sorry.
Old October 10, 2017, 10:08 PM   #29
Crankylove

I carry everywhere I legally can. Hunting, fishing, camping, grabbing milk from the store, mowing the lawn, going to the bathroom, etc.

While out in the woods, I'm not really worried about four legged critters so much as the two legged kind. I have had a few worrisome moments with less the upstanding citizens while out in the boonies camping or taking a drive on the old two tracks.

When hunting, I usually carry my .41 Mag or .45 Colt Blackhawk with homemade shot shells in a couple chambers for grouse and rabbits, which aren't legal to take with a centerfire or muzzleloader.
Old October 11, 2017, 11:09 PM   #30
cjsoccer3

I carry. Glock 20 10mm OWB with an 870 w/birdshot in the tube and slugs on the side. I love the 10mm. Good capacity for a minute of defense against 2 legged mammals. Strong enough for bear. If I have time, got the slugs but eh not realistic. Still bring them.
Old October 12, 2017, 06:34 AM   #31
rodwhaincamo

No one mentioned that bird shot is not considered a good defensive load.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...e-box-o-truth/
Old October 12, 2017, 09:18 AM   #32
kraigwy

I always have my Smith J frame in my pocket. See no reason to take it out to go bird hunting.

Rifle hunting is a different matter. I found it useful for dispatching snakes or picking up small game for the camp pot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 12, 2017, 01:12 PM   #33
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateKirk View Post
While small game hunting the other day I had the thought, "Why am I carrying my pistol with me when I have a 12ga. shotgun already in my hands?"

Compared to the shotgun, the pistol is far more inconvenient to get to than the long gun and has less range. I guess the main deciding factor would be if the average game 5-7.5 shot load is adequate for self defense at or within the choke pattern's ideal distance.

What are your thoughts? Are game loads an adequate defense round? Do you carry a sidearm while hunting?
In case you get charged by a bear, you can throw down your shotgun and grab your heater! I hear all the time about guy's using that of protection from pot farmer's or general bad guy's. I would not carry a handgun for those reason's, the rifle is better insurance. I have seldom ever carried a handgun hunting, just the rifle of shotgun should do the trick on whatever pop's up! That said, now and then I'll carry along a 22 handgun or my 32 long, cast bullet's, for plinking at whatever, rabbit's ect. But keep in mind, you fire off a handgun round, even a 22 RF and you tell whatever game your looking for your in the area!
Old October 12, 2017, 01:50 PM   #34
rodwhaincamo

A shotgun loaded as suggested is about as good as throwing a rock at a bear. Well, maybe not quite as bad. I'd imagine the bear would become enraged for certain once shot with birdshot. I'd take about any handgun over birdshot vs a bear.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:30 PM   #35
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I never found it all that comfortable totting a extra hog leg in the bush when hunting. Only once did I carry when hunting "light" years ago. 50 yrs later >Today?
If some other feels the need to carry a hand gun for personal protection from his fellow hunters when totting a long barrel also.

Don't bother to stop and ask for permission to hunt on my property. "I got no time for paranoid individuals wanting to roam about in my woods."

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; October 13, 2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old October 13, 2017, 11:54 PM   #36
the possum

Sure Shot, the OP is carrying a double barrel loaded with small bird shot. It's been a long time since we had a pack of aggressive feral dogs roaming this area, but they're not unheard of. I wouldn't automatically assume a guy is paranoid for wanting a sidearm. If he don't mind the weight and obeys the laws he can carry a dozen guns for all I care.
Old October 14, 2017, 12:09 AM   #37
dvdcrr

I just carry a big knife.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old October 14, 2017, 12:20 AM   #38
the possum

dvdcrr, let's hear about it. What kinda knife ya got? I enjoy talkin' blades.
Old October 14, 2017, 03:17 AM   #39
rickyrick

I always carried my concealed handgun when hunting. A $1000 dollar rifle, or what might be perceived as a $1000 dollar rifle, could be plenty tempting to a robber.
I’ve had to shoot an aggressive feral dog encountered in the woods before.
Also, I’ve just plain taken an animal with a pistol just because the opportunity presented itself. The intent is as personal protection just as when not hunting, the presence of a rifle doesn’t change that.
Old October 14, 2017, 08:43 AM   #40
2damnold4this

I killed a coyote with my muzzleloader just minutes ago.ithen took a shot at the second coyote with my CCP and I think I hit it too.
Old October 15, 2017, 10:13 AM   #41
Husqvarna

Quote:
and I think I hit it too.
think? why are you browsing the internet when you should be out tracking?
Old October 15, 2017, 11:41 AM   #42
RAEIndustries

I carry to for all the same reasons 44 AMP mentions
Old October 15, 2017, 12:03 PM   #43
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Because two is one, and one is none.
That math has never made sense.

Quote:
No one mentioned that bird shot is not considered a good defensive load.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...e-box-o-truth/
And yet it gets used repeatedly for that purpose and quite successfully as well.

Quote:
A shotgun loaded as suggested is about as good as throwing a rock at a bear. Well, maybe not quite as bad. I'd imagine the bear would become enraged for certain once shot with birdshot. I'd take about any handgun over birdshot vs a bear.
You know, there are a lot of factors involved, but even an 11 year old boy can stop an attacking bear with birdshot, sometimes.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elliot-...amily-members/

Birdshot may not be ideal, no doubt about it, but it certainly can be effective. By comparison, we can also look up and find numerous instances of attacking bears requiring multiple rifle shots to be stopped as well. So keep that in mind.

https://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...autopsy-shows/

--------------------

With all that said, I look at carrying a CCW pistol in the woods simply as a utilitarian item. It is no more a paranoid consideration to carry a pistol in the woods than it is to carry a pistol on the street. Like others, I my use the pistol to deal with other nuisance animals. I may use it for coupe de grace shots on downed animals still alive. Here, recently, I was able to use my pistol to shoot an additional piglet that could not been seen at distance with my rifle due to high grass, but was taken at very close range with my pistol where my rifle had too much magnification and not enough focus for sighting.
https://youtu.be/ARtp9op9VU8
Old October 15, 2017, 01:26 PM   #44
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husqvarna View Post
'Cause here in America, Husky, many folks look at 'yotes as something lower than dirt and don't care whether or not the animal is DOA or just mortally wounded, and suffering a slow and painful death. Many feel the singing dogs deserve to suffer that cruel death just because they kill/eat game animals that sportsmen pursue. Even tho I'm not one of those folks and feel any animal I put my sights on, deserves a quick and humane death, I know of many that feel differently. Kinda like those folks that pull the wings off flies.
Old October 15, 2017, 06:20 PM   #45
rodwhaincamo

Birdshot doesn't even come close to the 12" of penetration considered by law enforcement to be worthy. But even the little .25 ACP has been used effectively by some. But that doesn't make it a good choice in most people's opinion just as using a .22 LR isn't considered a proper game cartridge but is used by poachers. And "effective" is different for people than it is animals.
Old October 15, 2017, 08:29 PM   #46
2damnold4this

Quote:
I posted this less than five minutes after shooting, while still in a tree stand. I think it's prudent to wait a few minutes to one half hour before trying to track a wounded animal.
Old October 15, 2017, 08:34 PM   #47
2damnold4this

Quote:
'Cause here in America, Husky, many folks look at 'yotes as something lower than dirt and don't care whether or not the animal is DOA or just mortally wounded, and suffering a slow and painful death. Many feel the singing dogs deserve to suffer that cruel death just because they kill/eat game animals that sportsmen pursue. Even tho I'm not one of those folks and feel any animal I put my sights on, deserves a quick and humane death, I know of many that feel differently. Kinda like those folks that pull the wings off flies.
I don't know you and you don't know me, yet you seem quick to judge. What would you have done differently? Would you have not shot the coyotes? Would you have not posted about the experience while you waited?
Old October 15, 2017, 09:58 PM   #48
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Birdshot doesn't even come close to the 12" of penetration considered by law enforcement to be worthy.
It is important to remember that the '12" of penetration' in ballistic gel doesn't transfer to any real world medium. 12" is also used b/c FBI was looking at penetrating things like car doors and light barriers.
Even with these caveats, I am still quite comfortable referring to this as the "Twelve inch RULE" henceforth.
Old October 15, 2017, 10:27 PM   #49
rodwhaincamo

Regardless birdshot isn't good even for medium game. If it were there'd be no need for buck shot and those in Alaska wouldn't be armed with even a particular 12 ga slug.
Old October 16, 2017, 04:05 AM   #50
Husqvarna

Good 2damnold4this Nice to read!

I often wait to, or depending how the area where it was hit looks