The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 30, 2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Tinbucket

Bad typing

I can't find my post or the reply which justifiably attacked my typingand composition.
Just for whoever's info. I'm a DAV and have nerve damage and even tissue loss in left hand and bit in right.
Ii bounce keys, I miss hit punctuation marks and letters typed from left hand tend to do it more and land before the right hand keys land and so on.
My apologies as sometimes I don't catch them all and run on sentences.
Old July 30, 2017, 02:16 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

You don't need to apologize. This isn't a spelling contest. I'm sure who ever did that understood what you were trying to say but simply took the opportunity to be a "keyboard bully". They're the one who should apologize. There's no excuse for it on their part. One of the moderators on here should find the post and give that person a "time out" or maybe a permanent loss of posting rights.
Old July 30, 2017, 05:25 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

Give us a hint -- what was the thread you posted in? A quick check shows that none of your recent posts have been deleted, so I've no idea what happened here.
Old July 31, 2017, 02:08 PM   #4
cpt-t

Tinbucket: Those hide in the rear admin types have always been a major pain in the ### for me also. So You keep writing and I will keep reading what You have to say. ((( I got you Loud & Clear, How Me Over. )))
TAKE CARE MY FRIEND:
ken
Old August 1, 2017, 02:20 AM   #5
Tinbucket

I didn't remember and after searching posts didn't find it again.
It was something along the line of look what not studying English in school does.
Old August 1, 2017, 10:41 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Based on that info, I found the post you're talking about:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...sh#post6492867

The jab at you was completely uncalled for. Your post above it was far clearer and better composed than many others that are posted here. I started to delete the post, but decided to leave it so "g.willikers" will know who you were talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt-t
Those hide in the rear admin types have always been a major pain in the ### for me also.
You must be thinking of another website. None of our staff would dream of calling out any member like that in public. We will, on rare occasion, have to give a hint or two on grammar or spelling, but it is always in private. We even have a rule about not seriously mangling language, but again, that rule is always enforced in private. If you find one of our admin or moderator types doing anything like that in a thread, you need to report it.
Old August 1, 2017, 11:11 AM   #7
g.willikers

My apology

I made a disparaging remark about Tinbucket's compostion of a recent thread.
It was meant to be more humorous than insulting.
There was no intention of hurting his feelings.
But as another sufferer of typing ailments, due to dyslexia, (or is that lesdyxia)
arthritic fingers and damaged left eyesight, I do feel your pain.
However that doesn't mean I make no effort to correct all the typing and grammar mistakes before sending stuff off.
It does take time and effort and can get frustrating.
But it's worth it to be understandable.
Just like doing this one.
It's taken ten minutes to go through and correct it.
Better than leaving it in the original state and sounding like I'm writing in a language from Middle Earth.
Old August 1, 2017, 12:43 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Titled "My apology".
Has eleven lines of text. Not one of them says "I'm sorry" or "I apologize". Sounds more like an explanation of bad behavior. Halfway through your weak excuse for an apology you begin to critique what he did wrong and explain what he should have done to do it right to begin with. I think you should have said nothing.

a·pol·o·gy
əˈpäləjē/
noun
noun: apology; plural noun: apologies

Apology:
a regretful acknowledgment of an offense or failure.
"we owe you an apology"
synonyms: expression of regret, one's regrets
"I owe you an apology"
Old August 1, 2017, 03:27 PM   #9
CalmerThanYou

It's the internet, not a doctoral thesis. I have received lots of good advice, regardless of spelling and grammar.
Old August 1, 2017, 05:35 PM   #10
g.willikers

NoSecondBest,
Is it your decision if Tinbucket accepted what I said as a suitable apology or Tinbuckets?

So, I ask:
Tinbucket, did you find what I said, either the original statement or the one in this thread objectionable?
If you do, then to you I do indeed apologize.
Actually I thought I made that clear already.
If not, then I apologize for that, too.
Old August 1, 2017, 06:25 PM   #11
dahermit

There are spell checkers and grammar checkers free for the downloading on the internet. "Grammerly" is a good one (does both spell checking and grammar), that I use. I am one of the world's worse spellers but see little point in posting something that is difficult for someone to understand when there are tools available for the downloading.
https://app.grammarly.com/?utm_term=...1046&network=g
Old August 18, 2017, 06:44 AM   #12
briandg

tin bucket, I am in a similar situation. I start from the point of neurological brain damage from several sources, and keyboard skills are torn apart. takes forever to put together a long post. Then, I am working on a tablet. A seven and an eight inch kindle, and seriously, reading those things and proofreading them are nearly impossible. Lastly, auto correct is the worst thing that a person can ever use.

I've seen a few people worked over for these things on other boards. It would be nice if everyone had the abilities to deal with this, but we don't.

I'm not going to make fun of you if you miss your target, and I shouldn't rag at you if you miss your keys.