The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 12, 2023, 05:43 PM   #1
deadcoyote

Savage 99 in .308 value

So I have a buddy who keeps trying to gift my son a savage 99 in .308. I feel awkward about it because I know it’s a valuable gun. He never had any kids of his own, and in a nice way disagrees with me letting my kid hunt with an AR. It’s what he shoots well and it’s light weight, that’s all I care about.

He had said if I didn’t want him to straight up give it to my kid just throw him some money for it. I’m not sure how much these go for? I think .308 is a later caliber for that design, trying to figure out if there are .308 models that are extremely valuable.
Old March 12, 2023, 07:49 PM   #2
44caliberkid

I watched a ton of these on an auction site for months. For what people actually bid on and buy, $650 - $800. The hardwood stock with pressed in checkering at the low end, nice walnut and Schnable forend at the higher end.
Old March 12, 2023, 07:51 PM   #3
taylorce1

Condition determines value, so it's really hard to even be in the ballpark. Assuming it's not a collector piece $500 probably wouldn't hurt his feelings, considering he's willing to give it to your son. However, without several high resolution photographs there is no way to even estimate value.
Old March 14, 2023, 08:37 PM   #4
JasoninSD

The Savage 99 is a classic and the .308 is capable of hunting anything up to moose. Your kid may not be ready for it now, but I would think he/she could grow into it in the future. As for value, that is hard to say without pictures but given a decent condition, $600 to $800 would probably be in the ballpark. If there is any rust or pitting, probably more like $400.

One thing about the 99s, they either have a safety on the lever behind the trigger or on the tang. My opinion is that the tang safety is much more safe and less prone to being accidentally swiped off. Years ago I picked up a friend to go deer hunting and he had a 99 with the lever safety. He grabbed his rifle and coat together and managed to hit the safety and trigger together and put a round in the ground behind my truck. It was one of those holy crap moments but no damage done.
Old March 14, 2023, 10:52 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It was one of those holy crap moments but no damage done.
As Forrest says "stupid is as stupid does", and stupid things happen in spite of the design features.

Personally I've always felt the top tang safety to be more "exposed" than the lever safety, but either one won't stop an accident created by stupidly handling a rifle WITH A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER when it shouldn't be.

You can't honestly fault the gun when the user acts like a fool.

Early Savage 99s in .308 (in the 50s) all had the lever safety. The tang safety Showed up about 1960 in the 99F and some 99 models never had the tang safety throughout production runs that ended in the 70s or 80s.

Those guns with the lever safety and the rotary magazine are worth more, being more desirable to collectors.

The 99C (detachable box) magazine showed up about 1965, and is not as sought after by "old" Savage collectors. They are decent hunting guns but don't have the appeal of the older guns for many. Stock wood & finish, along with design being the usual reasons given.

Your friend is offering a truly handsome gift. And, its not just the rifle.