The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2022, 01:03 PM   #1
lockedcj7

TC Contender G2 - .50 cal ML questions

My LGS has one in really good shape and (I think) the price is reasonable. They're asking $679 and it includes a Leupold VXII 3-9x50 scope that I have already verified as authentic. Gunbroker and Armslist weren't helpful.

I certainly don't need it but I do think it's cool and I've never had one.

What say you? Is the price okay? Is the platform okay?

TIA
Old June 28, 2022, 07:00 PM   #2
Pahoo

JMHO

Quote:
What say you? Is the price okay? Is the platform okay?
The platform is fine and if it touches your heart, then by all means buy it. ..

Personal opinion is that the price is too high and you will get more use, from a center or rim fire barrel. ......

However, don't do as I have done and once the Contender fever hits you, One is never enough. I have more than two andwe will leave it as such. .....

Good Luck and;
Be Safe
Old June 29, 2022, 03:13 AM   #3
eastbank

are you sure its a G 2? i didn,t think they made the contender G 1-G2 in .50 cal. it may be a encore.
Old June 29, 2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Pahoo

Need a picture !!!???

Quote:
it may be a encore.
You are probably correct as some of the "names" can get a little confusing. ???

TC ; Never made a Contender G1. However, it became a term that every one used and so it goes.

TC; Did make a upgraded Contender known as a G2. refering to some old catalogs, I did not see a listing for a "complete" G2 M/L but did see a listing for an M/L barrel for a G2 frame ...

Be Safe !!!

TC; Did Make an Encore/types and refered to them them by a number of names.
Old June 29, 2022, 09:49 PM   #5
lockedcj7

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to pass. I'm certain that it is a G2 and the other rifle chamberings aren't very interesting to me. It would not be legal to turn it into a pistol and I've already got two other 50 caliber muzzleloaders.
Old June 30, 2022, 10:43 AM   #6
eastbank

the G2 looks like a jr encore and will not handle the pressure the encore will. i saw a .45 muzzle loader for a contender.
Old July 1, 2022, 03:17 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedcj7 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to pass. I'm certain that it is a G2 and the other rifle chamberings aren't very interesting to me. It would not be legal to turn it into a pistol and I've already got two other 50 caliber muzzleloaders.
If it's a muzzleloader you can do whatever you want to with it.
Old July 1, 2022, 08:08 PM   #8
lockedcj7

The frame is the serialized part and it can accept cartridge barrels so I'm pretty sure it has to be treated as a firearm. Since it has a rifle stock, the LGS is selling it as a rifle and completing a 4473 on it.
Old July 2, 2022, 12:42 PM   #9
Pahoo

4473 required, regardless

Quote:
The frame is the serialized part and it can accept cartridge barrels so I'm pretty sure it has to be treated as a firearm. Since it has a rifle stock, the LGS is selling it as a rifle and completing a 4473 on it.
You "may" want to do some homework on this as I remember a court ruling that gave these models, a pass on defining it as a rifle or pistol. Regardless the FFL dealer requires the 4473, that it the law. Dealers often encounter problems, most folks never hear of. They don't have it as easy as some on the left, would have you believe!! ....

I once purchased an MML, on line and the seller required that it be recieved by an FFL-dealer. When it came, my dealer didn't know what to do as no 4473 is required for M/L's. Just shook his head and handed it to me ......

Be Safe !!!
Old July 2, 2022, 02:14 PM   #10
eastbank

i once won a muzzle loader at a public auction and they wanted it to go to a ffl for paper work(none required here), i said keep it. they relented in the end and i took it home. it was a tc seneca in .45 cal and i still have it.