The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 23, 2021, 05:38 AM   #1
JJ45

Beretta 84 extractor help

The 84 base or no suffix model is the only model in the M84 lineup that does not have a pinned extractor.

My question is; is this non-pinned extractor an inferior characteristic?

I assume that the pinned extractor is removed from the slide by first drifting out the pin. How then would the non-pinned base model extractor be removed?

Thanks, JJ
Old May 23, 2021, 09:06 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks like there is a pin (part #6) that is driven out to remove the extractor.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...s/84-cheetah-2

There is nothing inferior to a non-pinned extractor. First, pinned or unpinned so long as it works, it's good. Good unpinned design - 1911, Browning Double Action (later marketed as the Sig P220 (earlier version)).

The main difference is that there is more metal for an unpinned extractor Pinned extractors require drilling for the pin but that's no big issue since an unpinned extractor requries some sort of drilling or machine cut to create the space fo the unpinned extractor. It's one of those cost-benefit analysis thing.
Old May 23, 2021, 09:18 AM   #3
10-96

If it's a non-pinned extractor, I suspect it would be much like the Beretta 92 types and Sig types of non-pinned extractors. On the hammer end of the extractor, can you see a pin resting up against the backside of the extractor? Likely, the extractor is resting on it's own shelf, and a spring and pin pushes the extractor forward on it's catch shelf. Try taking a small screwdriver and push it behind the extractor (on the hammer end)- and then just twist. No need to pry or anything, just twist right or left. This will raise the extractor up off of it's shelf and it will just lop over into your hand.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 23, 2021, 11:06 AM   #4
JJ45

Yep, good advice...Thanks