The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 2020, 07:31 PM   #1
denvernoob

Scope on a Sporterized Mauser?

I have a hand me down Mauser G33/40, sporterized with a GR Douglas .257 Roberts barrel. The gun was originally made for my Grandma, and has a short 13-1/4" LOP stock. Very accurate rifle.

My ten year old son is showing interest in deer hunting. I'm thinking this rifle would be perfect. Problem is, the rifle only has iron sights.

From what I have gathered you can mount a scope on this action. I know you would have to have the safety changed to something more like a Win Model 70, and have the bolt handle reworked to open properly with a scope, as well as have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any idea of the cost of this work? If feasible, would most gunsmiths be able to do this type work?

I appreciate any advice, or suggestions in advance.

Last edited by denvernoob; December 19, 2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old December 18, 2020, 07:48 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

I'm guessing a farther shot where Irons would be a bad Idea?

I'm sure it could be done. Last time I dealt with a gun smith it was $120 per hour... Personally I would keep that rifle as is, or put it back to mil spec, as is an buy a budget rifle in a 243 like the Ruger American is petty affordable compared to what I think the gunsmithing costs would be.
Old December 18, 2020, 07:51 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Not a sporter, but I put a handgun scope (with long eye relief) on a Mauser 24/47 using a kit that replaced the original ladder sight. The whole thing sits far enough forward that no changes to the safety or the bolt handle were required. The scope I used was a 4x, and (although I didn't have a hunting license at the time) it would have been ideal for hunting.
Jeepaholic
Old December 18, 2020, 11:42 PM   #4
Blindstitch

If you don't want to go with a scout scope combo you can have it drilled and tapped but I have a feeling if you go that route eventually it will cost more than buying a budget Savage Axis or Ruger American type rifle in a more common deer caliber.

I'd keep grandma's rifle the way it is. Modified it's only valued to yourself. Feel free to teach the kid how to use iron sights though. Most of us started with iron sights.
Old December 19, 2020, 11:46 AM   #5
denvernoob

Quote:
I'm guessing a farther shot where Irons would be a bad Idea?
Yes, exactly. Ideally I would like to make this a 300 yard rifle with a 3x-9x scope. I have only hunted two seasons in Colorado, but I am quickly learning that even a 300 yard limit for shots is restricting. I don't have a lot of experience with a scout scope setup. I like the idea, but I'm not sure if that would fit my needs?

Quote:
I'd keep grandma's rifle the way it is
That does seem to be the consensus. I have a couple friends who thinks it's ridiculous to even consider 'butchering' this rifle. I can appreciate that sentiment. My main reasoning is that if left as is, the rifle rarely sees the light of day. It is a show and tell piece in the safe and little more. My thoughts are to give it a new life, if you will. The paternal side of my family this rifle comes from were dirt poor Okies. Grandma wouldn't want her rifle to sit in a safe when her Great Grandson could hunt with it, however she'd think her Grandson a fool if I paid too much to make it happen.

I won't consider adding a scope if the cost of doing so could get my son a nice Tika or something. But if it's the cost of a low end, mass produced, tupperware rifle - I think I'm going to make it happen. The way I see it, I get a much better rifle for the same cost.
Old December 19, 2020, 12:45 PM   #6
RC20

I think its a choice aspect (and what can work)

The gun no longer has any historic originality with a different barrel, so butchering or Bubba no longer applies.

If its any help, we faced a dilema on my Dad's 1903 Sporter. The chamber was corroded severely (won't go into details as its a side track).

My younger brother offered to pay the cost for a barrel if we would keep shooting it.

The last round that came out of the chamber was scary looking.

So, we kept the heart and soul (receiver/stock) (the stock is the one my dad and brother finished for it when he got it originally to turn into a sporter and well done one) and we have enjoyed it since.

I target shoot it, my brother hunts with it. That also spun off a second interest for me into Milo Surplus and targets shooting.

No regrets.
Old December 19, 2020, 01:08 PM   #7
ligonierbill

I vote to do the mods. The M70 style safety can run several hundred, but you can get a "Buhler" style 2 position safety much cheaper. Turning the bolt handle is straightforward. Mounting a scope is also, you just need to know where, or I should say, where not to drill. A competent smith can do this. Get an estimate. Nothing at all wrong with today's low to moderate priced rifles, but they're not special. Yours is and will be.
Old December 19, 2020, 01:46 PM   #8
Jim Watson

What kind of iron sights?
Open sights on the barrel? Yeah, D&T, bend the bolt handle, install a scope safety.
Receiver peep sight? See if the kid can learn to shoot with them.

Sure wish your pictures showed up. The G34/40 Mountain Carbine action was the prize choice for a lightweight hunting rifle, back when you could sporterize army surplus without the militaria collectors looking down their noses at you.
Old December 19, 2020, 03:06 PM   #9
denvernoob

Quote:
What kind of iron sights?
I tried again with the pics...?

The sights are peep over the receiver. They are "Redfield". Good sights! I shoot very well with this rifle at 100-150 yards. It would be a great whitetail rifle, but I would be reluctant to shoot much further than that at a deer.
Old December 19, 2020, 03:53 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

The rifle has been sporterized (and nicely at that), different caliber, stock, peep sights, it has no milsurp collector value. And hasn't had for a long, long time.

50+ years ago, we used to sporterize Mausers as a matter of course, and it could be done, and done well for less than the cost of a new Winchester or Remington. That is NOT the case today.

There are still people who can do that work, but the cost today will approach or exceed the cost of a new rifle, and almost certainly exceed the cost of a new budget grade rifle.

With the eyes of youth, that peep sight IS a 300yd deer gun, and longer, if the shooter is skilled and practiced. And they get that way by shooting.

Get that kid a bunch of ammo, and let him start shooting the rifle. As he learns it, and grows with it, you'd be surprised at how well he can learn to use it.

I'd have him shoot it, as is, until he outgrows the short stock. He's 10, you've got time....

The one thing you might consider is trigger work. If needed. It might have already been done...good trigger pulls can be done with the original parts and some work. Or a aftermarket trigger might be a good idea, a good trigger pull, and knowing how to use it goes a long way to making a rifle accurate.
Old December 19, 2020, 04:22 PM   #11
Jim Watson

That is a pretty little thing.

I think it would be fine to 200 yards with peep sights.

If you just must, are those not plug screws for scope bases in the receiver ring? Or a crest, it gets fuzzy when I blow it up.

When Junior outgrows Grandma's stock, it can be extended, too nice to throw away.
I have seen very high grade English safari rifles with black extensions, either ebony wood or Ebonite synthetic, no attempt made to match grain with a walnut splice.
Old December 19, 2020, 08:40 PM   #12
std7mag

The safety is the biggest issue.
I went with a Dakota 3 position safety (looks like a Winchester Model 70, or Ruger safety).

EGW makes a base that fits on a Mauser action without any grinding of the feed ports.
Just need a jig to drill for the screws.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 19, 2020, 09:58 PM   #13
Hawg

The last one I had done was in the 90's. It was $15.00 per hole to have it drilled and tapped. Replacing the bolt handle was IIRC $65.00. I had the stripper clip hump ground off and used a trigger assembly with a side safety and used a bolt shroud with no safety. I had checked into three three position safety and it was cheaper to have all the rest of the work done than buy the three position safety. All of that was a couple of hundred dollars for parts and my gunsmith to do the work, not counting the d&t and bolt handle etc. That was around 25 years ago. God only knows what it would cost now.
Old December 20, 2020, 09:49 AM   #14
hooligan1

Well I can tell you from experience that Gunsmithing is pricy now a days.
I'd lean towards teaching him to shoot Granddad's irons, and if I were to send it off, I'd still pick up another rifle because I sure wouldn't be letting him use the spiffed up Granddad rifle, because I'd be using it....js.
Old December 20, 2020, 10:16 AM   #15
denvernoob

Quote:
If you just must, are those not plug screws for scope bases in the receiver ring? Or a crest, it gets fuzzy when I blow it up.
I added a couple pics to show the action better. No holes for a scope base. Even the peep sight is fastened into the side of the receiver and comes up and cantilevers over the top of the receiver. No holes underneath that either.

Quote:
I sure wouldn't be letting him use the spiffed up Granddad rifle, because I'd be using it....js.
Ha ha, yes there's a strong likelihood of that happening. But I do get to use 'Granddads rifle', I shot his 1954 Win Mod 70 Featherweight in .308. Grandpa had good taste.

Thanks for all the replies! I think my next step is to get some pricing and go from there...

Old December 20, 2020, 12:07 PM   #16
Jim Watson

Darn, I was seeing the edge of the crest and thinking it looked like plug screws.
But as we have been saying, you can do a lot with peep sights.
Old December 20, 2020, 01:05 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I mentioned my "scout" scope application as a possible alternative to modifying multiple things about that beautiful rifle, but not to recommend that as a course of action. Now that the photos have come back from their vacation, another look at Granny's rifle leads me to say that it's too nice to fool around with.

I enlisted in the Army in 1966, which meant that I qualified with the M14 rifle even though by the time I got to Vietnam we were using the M16. The M14 had a peep rear sight, and we qualified with that at distances out to 600 meters. Respectfully, I think your son would be much better served to keep the rifle just as it is and to learn how to shoot with the peep sight. In the long term, it will make him a better shooter, and he'll still be able to put meat on the table. Starting with optics too early makes shooters lazy (IMHO).
Jeepaholic
Old December 21, 2020, 03:18 AM   #18
Hdonly

I did a scout scope setup with my 1891 Argentine Mauser. No drilling but I did have to modify the stock some. It doesn't have the original stock anyway.

Old December 21, 2020, 07:03 PM   #19
Scorch

I say have it drilled and tapped for scope mounts, replace the safety, and have the bolt handle replaced. 50 years ago people opted for peep sights becasue they were about the best thing out there, many older scopes were not sealed or nitrogen purged, so they would fog easily. Nowadays, even cheap scopes are sealed and N purged. Have the thing glass bedded and the wood sealed while he's at it.
Old December 21, 2020, 09:10 PM   #20
Grant 14

Unless I am looking at the wrong photos, the bolt had already been turned down and a Bueler safety is not much money. It is an ideal caliber for a light weight shooter and I would let him shoot it for a couple of years as is. Get him a single stage reloading outfit and he can afford to shoot it a lot. Call around and get prices on drilling for a scope mount. I dont think they will be too bad. Those are a much nicer action than much of the new low cost stuff. Just my 2 cents worth. Grant.
Old December 21, 2020, 09:24 PM   #21
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14
Unless I am looking at the wrong photos, the bolt had already been turned down
Terminology. The bolt on the rifle looks like a standard Mauser 98K bent bolt, but that bend won't clear a scope. What people refer to as a "turned down" bolt is actually a bolt handle that requires cutting off the original and welding or screwing on a replacement that starts off pointing down at the juncture with the bolt, and then bends out. It also requires relieving the stock to clear the bolt handle.
Jeepaholic
Old December 21, 2020, 10:13 PM   #22
Grant 14

My Dad used to convert military Mausers and I seem to remember him having a jig to cut off the straight bolt handle and weld on a bent one. This fellows doesnt look much different, but it might not take much more to hit a scope. I will have to go look at one of my old ones.
I think that he has an ideal "Boys" rifle. Light weight, great caliber with light enough recoil and plenty of hitting power. Lucky kid. Grant.
Old December 21, 2020, 11:21 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

The bolt was cut off, or sometimes just cut part way through, bent then the gap welded up.

And of course, there's the old joke, if the bolt handle hits the scope, mount the scope higher...

Quote:
I think that he has an ideal "Boys" rifle.
Unless you think the Boys Rifle was a several feet long .55 caliber anti tank rifle...

If you aren't wedded to the idea of a model 70 style swing wing safety, the swap to a Mauser scope safety is simple and only requires replacement of the wing. Numrich sold a decent one for a long time, might still sell them. I've put them on a number of Mausers and they work well enough.
Old December 22, 2020, 12:37 AM   #24
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
The bolt was cut off, or sometimes just cut part way through, bent then the gap welded up.
Possible, but I don't think so. It looks like a factory 98K bolt to me.

Here's an M48 bolt:

And here's a 98K bolt:

Note that the 98K stock is relieved, because the bolt is bent down so far there's no clearance to get a finger under it without the relief cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M48_Bolt.JPG (69.3 KB, 473 views)
File Type: jpg 98K_Bolt.JPG (56.9 KB, 471 views)
Jeepaholic

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; December 22, 2020 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old December 22, 2020, 09:05 AM   #25
DT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post

And of course, there's the old joke, if the bolt handle hits the scope, mount the scope higher...

Unless you think the Boys Rifle was a several feet long .55 caliber anti tank rifle...

If you aren't wedded to the idea of a model 70 style swing wing safety, the swap to a Mauser scope safety is simple and only requires replacement of the wing. Numrich sold a decent one for a long time, might still sell them. I've put them on a number of Mausers and they work well enough.
If this is the one you're referring to, looks like it's still available.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos