The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 15, 2021, 09:19 AM   #1
Handgunner00

Blued Finish Question

Just acquired the Walther PP cited in the three attached pics. As pics 1 and 2 indicate, this 1987 PP is in remarkable condition with a near flawless finish. But, as pic 3 clearly shows, there is a single blemish below the extractor that appears to be a hair thin, surface scratch that looks more like a smudge. Over the years, forum threads from all sources agreed there was nothing that would successfully conceal such imperfections other than a refinishing effort and all agreed the off the shelf cold blue mixtures never match the original bluing. So - question for a 2021 perspective: Is there now a process today, short of refinishing, that would conceal this blemish and completely restore the finish on this Walther PP?
Thanks all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PP-1.jpg (83.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg PP-2.jpg (77.9 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg PP-3.jpg (98.1 KB, 72 views)
Old February 15, 2021, 12:00 PM   #2
RickB

Do you know if the blemish is wear, or a deposit?
I'm going to assume you have tried to clean it via non-abrasive gun solvents, or brake cleaner?
If the smudge is something added to the surface, you could try removing it with some Flitz polish and a light touch.
If it's wear, then there's really nothing you can do to repair a spot defect on a polished surface.
If the polish has been disturbed, nothing could be added to it that would blend with the surrounding areas, even if it were a color match.
Old February 15, 2021, 12:08 PM   #3
Handgunner00

Rick: The polished surface has been disturbed; unfortunately, it is not a deposit. Thanks for responding.

Peter
Old February 15, 2021, 12:58 PM   #4
Pahoo

Very nice piece !!!

Well, My response isn't going to address your "goals". That is a beautiful piece you have there and for the most part, I could live with it. ........

However, I would "try" to correct what is causing this "rub". Then I would clean the wear area only, in prep for "Spot-Bluing" and confine all work to the blemish, and protect the undamaged area from the bluing. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 15, 2021, 01:08 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I do not find that little rub mark offensive and would not try to cover it.

It looks kind of crusty around the right grip, I would take the wood off and clean under it.
Old February 15, 2021, 01:17 PM   #6
ms6852

I would not worry about that wear mark at all. As was stated I find the gun to be quite remarkable for what it is. I do not know if it is reflection from the image, what is more concerning to me is that at the serrations on the rail the gun looks dirty also around the grips. Looks like lube or oil accumulation along with lint.

That wear mark does not compare to the deep scratch I put on my sharps rifle which I paid thousands for a couple of days after I bought it...c'est la vie.
Old February 15, 2021, 07:09 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Value is almost always impacted adversely by attempts to correct blemishes. Someone who is a genuine restorer might be able to correct it without having that effect on its value, but then you end up with so much money in it that you don't want to risk shooting it anymore. Not a move I would want to make.

If it bothers you, I would try to cover it by dotting it with black and blue Sharpies after the fashion of old-school photo retouching so I was confident I could truly remove every trace of it should I decide to sell it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 16, 2021, 02:54 AM   #8
Scorch

Sharpies never look right, they have a purple-ish cast to them that stands out on metal. If you really want to get rid of it, having the slide reblued is your only option, It looks like there is also a blemish on the frame below the mark you are trying to resolve. Bottom line, if you want it to be perfect, have the pistol hand polished and reblued. If not, I would just leave it alone.
Old February 16, 2021, 10:21 AM   #9
Handgunner00

Thanks all for your instructive comments. Agree - minor imperfections in the blued finish are insignificant given the flawless functionality and overall remarkable condition of this Walther PP. Discovered what caused this blemish. I remembered the seller having some difficulty inserting the PP back into the tight fitting plastic factory box and that the box had elevated ridges off the box floor that the PP set on. And, there is a ridge precisely at the blemish line. I probably watched the seller create that imperfection during his sales pitch. Not a complaint - this Walther is a keeper.
Old February 16, 2021, 04:47 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Leave the original finish alone. Trying to touch it up will result in an uneven and unsightly finish.

BTW, very pretty piece you have there. Decades ago in the '70s a relative of mine bought a German one for $199.95 plus tax.