The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Gunnels

How common is small pistol primers for 45 ACP

I loaded my first batch of 45 ACP today. Normally I reload .380 and 9mm. I noticed that maybe 10% of the 45 brass I had accumulated the large pistol primer wouldn't seat. I had read on this forum that some 45 brass takes a small pistol primer but I didn't think it was that common. How common is it? Are there certain manufacturers that use SPP instead of LPP?
Old November 8, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I think Blazer is the main culprit. Yeah, I'd say 10%-ish.

I process them (tumble clean, "push through" resize/decap, mouth flair.) and put them in their separate coffee can. I don't use them; at least, not at this time. Their future is unknown.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:22 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Fairly common and getting more common.
What I see is mostly Blazer Brass, but there are others.
Ask around, you might be able to swap them out with somebod who wants to buy only small primers.

You should sort them out.
A steady pressure in a reloading press won't normally fire a crushed primer, but not never.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:22 PM   #4
jag2

I doubt anyone really knows for sure. It's happening and will continue, money (profit) probably has a lot to do with it. I doubt either one will disappear so best just get used to it.
Old November 8, 2013, 11:22 PM   #5
pctechdude

Re: How common is small pistol primers for 45 ACP

Some federal target rounds, CCI blazer brass, Winchester clean, and I've had a few S&B (European) that have small pistol primers. Anymore they are becoming pretty common. I have a range about 20 minutes from me that sells their range brass. I'd say 25% is small pistol primer. That being said I just separate them and load like normal
Old November 8, 2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

Not meaning to hijack your post, but how did your 45 loads go? Care to share the details of what you loaded?
Old November 9, 2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

Federal Champion, the clean versions of a few brands, Blazer and a few others use small primers. It is getting to be more common than it was just a few years ago. For punching paper the same load in either with some powders normally result in no difference most will see. I find a slight reduction in velocity using the small primers but I need a chronograph to tell. Adding .1 grain of powder tends to make up the difference and possibly increase the velocity a few fps depending on the powder used.

Lately when I am shooting in a match I often loose a lot of brass in, I will load my ammo using small primers. Surprisingly I tend to get more of my brass back that way. Go figure. I do set up both presses for .45 when loading that caliber. One for small primers the other for large. It tends to let me get the ammo I'm trying to load finished a little faster. I do keep them separated as much as possible before and after loading.
Old November 9, 2013, 12:22 AM   #8
pctechdude

Re: How common is small pistol primers for 45 ACP

So far, I've used them with the same charges as large pistol primer brass, 5.4gr hp38 152gr lead swc from Penn, 4.8gr hp38 200gr lewd swc from hornady, 4.8 gr hp38 200gr lead truncated cone plain base from Penn, 200gr speer gold dot 8.9gr power pistol. 230gr hornady fmj with 5gr bullseye. The small pistol primed brass showed about 40fps slower so nothing horrible in reduction compared to large pistol
Old November 9, 2013, 12:24 AM   #9
Gunnels

Today I was just making some test rounds and I haven't had a chance to try them out. Hopefully I will tomorrow. Normally when I make test rounds I will make 10 of each round. I was loading 185gn Berry's Plated RNHB and 200gn Berry's LRNFP. I tried some fast powder (Bullseye) and slower powder (Unique).
Old November 9, 2013, 12:49 AM   #10
Nick_C_S

Good bullet/powder combos. Well played.
Old November 9, 2013, 03:02 AM   #11
Elerius

I've accumulated about 1000 Federal cases from ranges over the last few years and all of them were small pistol primers. All the Remington's I've found have been large. And a mix of large and small from Winchester, but mostly large. Don't really pick up much else but those
Old November 9, 2013, 06:16 AM   #12
lamarw

Aggravatingly common for us reloaders.
Old November 9, 2013, 06:56 AM   #13
spacecoast

If anyone has a bunch they'd like to get rid of, I'll use them and I'd be happy to pay postage. Just PM me.

I'd also be willing to trade them 1-1 with 9mm brass.

Last edited by spacecoast; November 9, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:53 AM   #14
Gunnels

I will swap .40 for 45ACP. One for one. I have maybe 3 or 4 hundred.
Old November 9, 2013, 09:05 AM   #15
jmorris

Winchester NT started it all a decade ago. Federal, CCI and others now have them. They were getting common enough where I pick up brass that I built a device that will cull them while loading.

Click to play the video.
Old November 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Gunnels

Are the ballistics affected much by using a SPP versus a LPP? If I settle on a load I like for 45ACP using LPP would I get similar results with the SPP?
Old November 9, 2013, 10:33 AM   #17
rclark

I toss 'em when I find them. All the people here I know (that reload) do the same. Plenty of the 'normal' .45 ACP brass to reload without dealing with the odd-ball brass.

Won't see any difference using small or large ( I must say this is hear-say, as I've never loaded the small, but can't image there would be) . Be wary of large flash holes. I ran into a few of them and had punctured primers. Reloaded 'em twice and repeated. So, now if not standard size flash hole, I toss. Note I load .45 ACP for revolver only....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:09 AM   #18
hodaka

I cussed them and tossed them for about a year. Finally I segregated a coffee can full. I loaded them up using the same load I had used for years with large primer .45's, 5.2 gr. of 231 with 200 swc cast. I can't tell the difference. It is a bit of trouble to separate them but it is nice when I have my Dillon 550 set up for .223 or 9mm and I want to run some .45's without changing the primer system. The headstamps I have are Blazer and Federal with the latter being in the majority.
Old November 9, 2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Beanie-Bean

Not a fan of the .45ACP SPP cases...

After running into issues while loading, I finally started decapping the brass and using a primer pocket cleaner to gauge which ones were LPP and SPP. I managed to get about a shoebox-sized tupperware full of them, and will probably only ever use them for lost brass matches if I ever decide to shoot .45ACP.

I'm pretty much reusing my own LPP brass, but every now and then, an SPP case ends up in my brass recovery bucket. I've taken to striping the back of my cases so that it's easier to see which ones I shot (knowing that they're LPP) and performing manual inspections on the other brass before it gets tumbled.

The headstamps have been Federal and Blazer.
Old November 9, 2013, 07:19 PM   #20
BigJimP

After I clean my cases that I pickup.....I inspect and toss out any with the small pistol primers ( they're usually marked NT ) for non-toxic or lead free primers....but I see them in Fed, WIN and others...

.45 acp with small pistol primers, in my area, are not common..../ way less than 10% of the indoor range cases I sweep up in .45acp....
Old November 9, 2013, 07:47 PM   #21
jamaica

I was running into some here and there. I just set the small ones aside until I had a good batch then loaded them up with small primers. They worked fine.