The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 5, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
30cal_Fun

7.62x39 ammo, what do I have?

A local gun store has non corrosive brass cased 7.62x39 for a good price, but I don't know much about this ammo so I asked him to send some pictures.
He says it's made by PMP and is brass cased, not just copper washed, but I am not so sure. It does say non-corrosive, berdan-primed, M43 (projectile type), so that much is clear.
I already did some research with the headstamp and it is indeed produced by PMP (pretoria metal pressings) in South Africa in 1988.

What can you tell me about this ammo?
My most important question is: is it indeed brass cased? (and not just copper washed like a lot of soviet surplus)
Any information or experiences with this ammo is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards from the Netherlands, 30cal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-DSC_3450.JPG (57.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg mini-DSC_3454.JPG (75.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg mini-DSC_3456.JPG (101.0 KB, 51 views)
Old November 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #2
jimbob86

The M-43 projectile was steel cored, IIRC.
Old November 5, 2013, 06:15 PM   #3
Valornor

That's easy enough, take a magnet with you. Copper wash projectiles, and or cases can be sorted with a magnet. I'm not sure with steel core, that depends on how thick the jacket is, but if I had to venture a guess a good magnet would stick.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 5, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
jimbob86

Many of the indoor ranges that prohibit steel core ammo check what you bring in with a magnet.
Old November 6, 2013, 04:01 AM   #5
30cal_Fun

They look like brass to me but the gunstore is not exactly around the corner, so I don't have the opportunity to do the magnet test before I get there. For old surplus steel cased ammo it is expensive, for brass cased ammo it is very cheap. And I do plan on reloading this caliber. I will buy it if it is brass cased. So I'm trying to confirm it is brass before I make the trip.

Wasn't the M43 projectile a boat tail bullet?
Does anyone have an idea of the accuracy of this ammo?
Old November 6, 2013, 10:37 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Make sure its boxer primed. If not then scrap the fired cases.
Old November 6, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
mikld

Sometimes ya just gotta trust what you're told. The two important items here are FMJ and Berdan, non-corrosive primers. You prolly won't be trying to reload them (Berdan primers) so brass/steel/poly coated/copper washed cases doesn't make much difference, and a FMJ isn't a hunting bullet, so, just shoot 'em and enjoy...
Old November 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #8
snuffy

You say what???

I don't understand why you're concerned about whether it's brass or whatever. Important fact that you seem to accept is it's berdan primed. You can reload berdan primed cases, BUT you need special tools AND berdan primers are all but impossible to find.

How could anyone tell you if it's accurate or not? Even if they---- had the same ammo, and the same rifle-----, every gun is different, they'll most likely not shoot the same! Add to that a different lot #, no way to say, yeah it shot good!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 6, 2013, 06:11 PM   #9
g.willikers

Are Berdan primers hard to find in Europe, too?
Old November 7, 2013, 06:10 AM   #10
30cal_Fun

It seems like good ammo from what I have read so far.
I think you made a good point snuffy, I will just have to try.

Berdan can be found here, although sources are very limited. I am still deciding if it is worth the challenge or not. It just seems like a waste of a lot of good brass if I don't.
I am trying to read and watch all I can about reloading or converting berdan brass.