The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 31, 2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Tejicano

Handgun in Japan - '61 Pocket Navy

Most people know that Japan is one of the places where firearms, when not outright banned, are highly restricted. As far as modern firearms are concerned hunting shotguns are available but the process for obtaining them legally is difficult and expensive - about the same as full-auto weapons in the US. Hunting rifles are another level of difficulty above that.

There is no way to legally access a modern handgun in Japan for any purpose. However, there are a few, original muzzle loading handguns which are available with just some paperwork.

Here is an example : http://www.f-collection.jp/1_15.html

This is an orignial Colt 1861 Pocket Navy available for sale in Japan at approximately US$25,000. This is registered as "artwork" the same way that traditional Japanese swords are possessed here.
Old October 31, 2013, 07:43 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

At $25k,

No wonder why Japanese tourist go ape when they get to a gun range here.
Old October 31, 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Beretta686

Wow. And I thought my M16 was expensive.

Quote:
No wonder why Japanese tourist go ape when they get to a gun range here.
A horde of Japanese tourists armed with their ubiquitous massive cameras and every gadget imaginable always puts an amused smile on my face no matter if it's Vegas or Angkor Wat.

But there is indeed nothing quite like the way they freakout while shooting at a range. Especially if it has machine-guns for rent. I've seen them blast through hundreds of dollars of ammo while videotaping every glorious second of it.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 31, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
wrangler88

What would an original like this go for in America?
Old October 31, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Smokin'Joe

About 10% of that.
Old November 1, 2013, 07:30 AM   #6
indy1919

That was one of the nicest photo shoots for a gun for sale I have seen in some time... I realize at 25k you have to do something special.. But still something to think about the next time you list a gun for sale... I really liked the photo of the wedge and the screw..
Old November 1, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
wrangler88

The way the nipples are all beat up, would it be possible to find replacement period era nipples? Would modern reproduction nipples fit do you think?
Old November 2, 2013, 01:36 AM   #8
Tejicano

I'm not sure it would be legal to import those nipples to Japan, or if you did I don't think it would be legal to replace them. This is not supposed to be a functional firearm but an "artwork". Japan's gun laws are quite strict and don't necessarily make a lot of sense.

Even the venues where you could shoot this are rare and highly constrained - and dominated by smoothbore, Japanese matchlocks which are sometimes a few hundred years old. And I have never even heard of any place where you can buy percussion caps of any kind.

About a year ago I saw an original Colt 3rd model Dragoon for sale - about $30,000.