The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 28, 2014, 04:03 PM   #1
40CalGuy

It's settled then. I'll be getting an M1A. Help me pick which one.

Someone suggested (based on another thread I created) that I acquire an M1A. The idea simply never occurred to me, to be honest. I was hoping to not have to acquire a new cartridge (I have nothing else in .308), but I've taken to the idea so much that I'm willing to overlook it. Their suggestion was the SOCOM 16, but there are things that I like and that I do not like about it. The things that I like:

1.) Does not need a scope immediately to be used
2.) Provided sights include a Trijicon front blade
3.) Just over 16" barrel length makes it relatively close to a ranch/brush gun

Things I don't like

1.) Synthetic stock
2.) Proprietary flash hider instead of standard threading and included flash hider

I'm going to look over my other Springfield options, but I prefer the looks and proportions of the Standard M1A with the 18" barrel and in Walnut. What other manufacturers should I be looking at to keep this near $1500? I'm undecided yet on a scout setup or a full scoped setup, but I do understand that this decision will cause the outcome to vary greatly. On this rifle, and since I cannot imagine shooting beyond 300yds a Scout setup makes more sense to me, but when I see the configurations people have, it looks odd to my eye.

At any rate, any M1A manufacturers, ideas, configurations or anything worth mentioning would be helpful.
Old February 28, 2014, 05:54 PM   #2
c0nspire

Glassing an M1A can be tricky... I had very bad luck with an out-of-spec receiver on a new-in-box 2012 Springfield M1A Standard that prevented me from adding a scope using the mount I intended to use (CASM Mount). The rifle worked fine and was reliable otherwise. If you stick to irons or scout scopes you shouldn't have to worry much about out-of-spec receivers. That said, out-of-spec receivers can appear on new or old guns. Just something to be aware of if you're thinking about adding glass. There isn't a way to know if the receiver is in or out of spec without several micrometer measurements. If the receiver is out of spec, there are certain scope mounts that can be customized to work (Sadlak Mount), and Basset mounts get very good reviews and often to work on receivers that are out-of-spec. Whatever you do do NOT buy a Springfiled scope mount. Almost very account I have read has been extremely poor.

Also be aware M1A's have a unique recoil impulse and have a reputation for destroying cheap scopes (and mounts).

M1A accuracy can range from sub MOA on a good rifle to 4-6" @ 100 yards for some folks. Accurizing one can get expensive and often requires someone who is knowledgable on that platform specifically. Anecdotally the SOCOM variants do not have a stellar reputation for accuracy (then again everything you read on the internet is worth what you paid for it, so your experiences may be different). I would advise staying away from the SOCOM variant with the large picatinny rail due to weight.

If I were going to buy another, I would look at Fulton Armory or LRB Arms. That said, those can cost a good bit more than a Springfield depending on what you buy (and I think you may have a bit of a wait). On the cheap, I might consider a Springfield Loaded model (upgraded trigger and barrel, not a bad upgrade for $200 on average and much cheaper than if you upgraded those items yourself).

I'm not sure about the policy of linking to another forum, so I will simply say there is an excellent M1A forum out there and I would highly advise you spend some time there before making your decision. IMO the M1A, while an excellent platform, is its own unique animal, and depending on what you want to do with the rifle there can be some challenges you should educate yourself on before dropping coin on a rifle.

Best of luck!
Old March 3, 2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Wyoredman

Hello,

Just some personal experience here. I am by no means even slightly educated on the M1A rifle. But...I purchased a used standard rifle model last fall. The one with the rifle length barrel and walnut stock.

Without any training from anyone, I was able to Zero the iron sights with less than 20 rounds.

I was shooting with friends the other day and was hitting a basketball sized rock at 450+ yards!

These Springfield M1A rifles are amazing!

I suggest getting the full sized rifle, skipping the SOCOM! You will be amazed at how well it shoots with open sites!
Old March 3, 2014, 02:23 PM   #4
MoGas1341

I have owned a Socom...

Honestly, as other members have said, stay away from the Socom. The 18" barrel variant wouldn't be as bad, but consider this;

Those shorter barreled M1a's sacrifice alot of bullet speed which changes trajectory (Its 50 fps per 1" of barrel lost from the fullsize, approximately)

Also, the fat front site post and shorter sight radius hindered accuracy (not mechanically, but on my end)

I ended up trading that thing off because I bought a match grade M1a with an early Springfield reciever, US Arsenal Stock and everything else TRW parts,(except for the few parts TRW didn't make) and I haven't looked back one bit.

...and one more thing, that Socom was so loud, it sounded like a 50 cal BMG going off!

Last edited by MoGas1341; March 3, 2014 at 03:10 PM. Reason: ...and one more thing.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:31 PM   #5
SR420

1. Congratulations!

2. Go with the Scout or Standard.

The 18" barrel is a solid 700 yard performer with quality 168 gr. ammunition, and you can replace the compensator Springfield
uses with a neutered GI style flash hider, or the much better (quieter) Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider that uses a castle nut.

Also, do not be in a rush to scope the rifle, get really good with the irons first.

Last edited by SR420; March 3, 2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old March 3, 2014, 04:22 PM   #6
NoirFan

I'm no M14 expert either, just an owner and casual shooter. I'd definitely recommend the Scout over the SOCOM. In fact I think it's the best all-around M1A model, with a perfect balance point and feel in the hands. The SOCOM has lousy sights that waste the gun's long range potential. The SOCOM II, in particular, seems to me like a really half-assed effort by Springfield to cash in with 'tactical' shooters; just slap an ugly, heavy, uncomfortable rail on there, paint it black and send it out the factory door!
Old March 3, 2014, 05:41 PM   #7
1stmar

I second the scout.. I love it. I know I'm lucky as mine is a shooter.. 1.4" with m80 and reloads. Iron sights. Most fun I've had with a rifle in a long time. Btw 5 shot groups and very repeatable.

Last edited by 1stmar; March 3, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:20 PM   #8
40CalGuy

It's a done deal

I joined the M14 forums and started poking around. One of the forum members offered the following up (pictures and story) for sale. Rifle is serial number 61xx from SA before they moved from TX to IL and became SAI. Production is 1974. I really couldn't be happier.

Quote:
Story:

Back in Oct., I was looking through my gun pages one day. I had one M1a and was looking for another when a gun ad caught my eye. It simply stated “Springfield rifle for sale” and gave a number. For some reason, it caught my eye but I hem-hawed around for a couple of days with it nagging at me before I decided to call figuring it was going to be an old trapdoor or and ‘03. So I called… To my surprise, an older lady answered the phone. She didn’t know much about what she was selling so after a lot of “does it have this” questions, I finally realized it was a M1a. I asked her where it came from and she told me this story…

It turns out that her deceased husband was a SSgt in the Marines. He had been in for 22 years when he decided to retire in ‘84 (she thought). One of the things he had always wanted to do as they moved around was to shoot in service matches. He got to figuring that when he retired, he could shoot in them, so he went to an USMC armorer buddy that he knew well and worked out some deal so that the armorer would get him a rifle and tune it up for him. She says she remembered when we brought it home, they were in North Carolina at the time, and how proud of it he was… She remembered him sitting in the floor “shooting it with no bullets in it” in “all kinds of funny ways”. (I’m sure he was practicing positions and trigger control.) She says he shot a few times in NC before he got sick. He passed away less than 3 yrs after getting out in ‘87. She packed it up with everything else and moved back home to AL. Well, it stayed under the bed for the last 25 years. She had actually forgot about it being there until she started cleaning out the house and found it. Lucky for me, she decided to sell it.

I was the only one that called. We hit it off ok on the phone and I met her a few days later. She had me get it out of her car where it was wrapped in a blanket. I unrolled the blanket and really couldn’t believe my eyes. It even had a scope and mount on it and it looked great. I can just see this old Marine sitting and polishing this stock, babying it, and loving it. I handled it while she and I talked for a while, before she told me what she wanted for it. It was ridiculously low and I told her what it was worth and ended up giving her quite a bit more than she wanted. We both left happy.

Ok, so I get it home. I started looking it over and realized how low the serial no. was. The more I looked, the more I felt this old marine… I tried the trigger and that’s when the old armorer jumped up. The trigger is about 4 lbs and super crisp. I started to take it down and saw that it was glass bedded. I eased it out and looked it all over. You can see where a little wood was removed by hand before bedding and there are little marks of a chisel in several places where the wood was relieved by hand. Mechanically, it basically looked unfired. I guess that’s to be expected from a Marines rifle though… I reassembled it, ran a bore snake through it and took a mag of ball out and shot it at 50 and 100 yds. 10 at 50 went into a large ragged hole and the 10 at a 100 was about 2 inches. With PMC ball… I took it back and wiped it down and put it in the safe. Rather pleased, I might add…

Well, as I have looked around the m14 site, I have come to realize what a rare rifle it is and I want something I can beat up and drag through mud hog hunting etc… This rifle deserves better…
I'll get more pictures when it arrives as these are pretty bad
Old March 3, 2014, 09:37 PM   #9
Chard

Remember the shorter the barrel, the greater the muzzle blast. I would consider a Scout. Less muzzle blast and if it is and earlier model it could be loaded with USGI parts.
Old March 4, 2014, 09:17 AM   #10
40CalGuy

it's a 1974 production and comprised entirely of USGI parts, made by SA before they moved from Texas and became SAI.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Chard

What makes you believe that a 61xx serial is a Texas built M1a?
Old March 6, 2014, 10:23 PM   #12
40CalGuy

all of the research done over on the m14 forums by myself and the others on this rifle
Old March 6, 2014, 10:49 PM   #13
Chard

The book M14 Rifle History and Development by Lee Emerson shows that the first of the Geneseo, IL M1a's:

January 18, 1975 - The original buyer took delivery this month of M1A receiver serial number 003322 from Springfield Armory, Inc. in Geneseo, IL.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:56 PM   #14
40CalGuy

that's certainly an interesting data point. this one is marked Springfield Armory and not Springfield Armory, Inc. it's also marked SA, TX. i'll have to get better pictures once it arrives.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:59 PM   #15
Chard

Per Lee Emerson's book

A very few Texas marked barrels were sent to Geneseo, Illinois. The barrels on the first M1A rifles leaving the Illinois factory were electro-penciled Geneseo Ill. However, M1A rifles in 1975 were sold with a coupon to be used towards the purchase of a spare barrel. Thus, a very few of the spare barrels sold by the Illinois company had Texas markings. It is likely that a very small number of individuals eventually had these Texas marked spare barrels installed on M1A rifles sold by Springfield Armory, Inc. in Illinois.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:01 AM   #16
40CalGuy

given the rifle's already incredible backstory, this only intrigues me further. it'll arrive on Monday. I'll be tearing into it as soon as possible to see what I can find.
Old March 7, 2014, 05:27 AM   #17
SR420

As others have stated, Lee Emerson (Different) is the M1A/M14 Historian.

You can find Lee over on TEAM M14
Old March 7, 2014, 06:37 AM   #18
NWCP

I absolutely love my '93 Springfield M1A Super Match. Reliable, dead on accurate and built to last a lifetime or two.
Old March 7, 2014, 09:02 AM   #19
Dirty_Harry

Welcome to the M1A addiction. I just have a SAI Standard, but I love it more than anything else I own.

To your original post I was going to suggest a scout, but looks like you are taken care of. I will be getting a scout eventually.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old March 8, 2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
It's settled then. I'll be getting an M1A. Help me pick which one.
Pick an AR10. (In .260 Rem).

Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously, great rifles, but they're for rich folks or fairly well-off folks. I could buy more than 1/2 of an AR10's cost, just for the cost of the quality scope mount for an M14 type.

Don't get me wrong. I love M14s .... it's just that they're supremely heavy once scoped, and very very expensive. If I got one, I'd do the standard iron sights, wood, 22"... keep it old school. To tacticalize something, an AR10 makes more sense. Plus, to MY eyes, a wood/22/iron sight M14 is beautiful, whereas a railed-up short one is uglier than warmed-over, day-old sin. But that's just me.
Old March 8, 2014, 11:15 AM   #21
Dragline45

I would opt for the Scout. The 18" barrel is still plenty enough to take full advantage of the .308 round and reach out to long distances, while cutting down on the length of the barrel and weight and making for an overall handier rifle. The full size with the 22" barrel really is a very large gun.
Old March 9, 2014, 04:35 PM   #22
johnwilliamson062

I wouldn't get a "Springfield." Look at the difference between Current springfield, original production, and Smith Enterprise. IMO go Smith Enterprise or stay home. It will Cost twice what the Springfield does and you may have to wait a while.

Otherwise, go with the AR-10 or "BAR"
Old March 12, 2014, 10:20 AM   #23
40CalGuy

this is already a done deal. the new acquisition came home day before yesterday. i'm currently in the "discovery" stage on the rifle. it does indeed look like ti was made in 75 or 76 and same from Geneseo, IL after they moved from Texas. I called Springfield on it yesterday and they told me that the records on this rifle were in their leather bound books in hand written entries. The request for information on it's actual production date and any other materials has been submitted. I do know that it had NM marked front and rear sights, a reamed flash hider, a scarified P on the grip and a TRW bolt. I plan on tearing it down for a good cleaning this week in prep for it's first range trip.
Old March 12, 2014, 10:22 AM   #24
40CalGuy

Old March 12, 2014, 10:23 AM   #25
40CalGuy