The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 21, 2013, 08:09 AM   #1
motorhead0922

St. Louis Zoo

I'm wondering if some of you St. Louis area residents can help me out. I'll be visiting the St. Louis Zoo soon. Missouri law restricts firearms from the gated areas of an amusement park, but is the St. Louis Zoo considered an amusement park? If not, is it posted no firearms at the entrances? (This part sounds like it would be in violation of Missouri's no-preemption clause). Thanks.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.

Last edited by motorhead0922; October 21, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
SamNavy

http://www.stlzoo.org/visit/zooservices/
At the bottom... firearms are not listed as a prohibited item.

But I promise if you call them and ask, they'll tell you that they're not allowed just because. A short Google search reveals about 10 threads in other forums asking the exact same thing about the StL Zoo... and all say signs are not posted at the entrances.

Also, signs in Missouri do not have force of law as a criminal offense... but you can always be asked to leave or face a trespassing charge... specifics below about offenses:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf
Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?
“YES/NO”
But have no penalty Unless you refuse to leave or repeat the offense in a set time period. See Below.
571.107. 1. Endorsement Does not Authorize Concealed Firearms, Where--Penalty for Violation.
2. Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense. If a second citation for a similar violation occurs within a six-month period, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed two hundred dollars and his or her endorsement to carry concealed firearms shall be suspended for a period of one year. If a third citation for a similar violation is issued within one year of the first citation, such person shall be fined an amount not to exceed five hundred dollars and shall have his or her concealed carry endorsement revoked and such person shall not be eligible for a concealed carry endorsement for a period of three years.

I know sometimes it's frowned upon to say, but in this case, "concealed is concealed".