The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 24, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
TxFlyFish

Makarov EFA Holster

I've been reading about these holsters on and off for the past year and think of finally getting one to complement my makarov. There seems to be some apprehension on the net manly from those who have not owned these about it being a novelty, causing finish wear, and having retention issues. But the more I think about this the more I think these arguments are unfounded or exaggerated. Does anyone have experience with the holster or other auto loading holsters on the market?

Last edited by Mike Irwin; September 24, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old September 25, 2013, 03:08 AM   #2
JimmyR

I too have considered them, but don't think I would ever use it for open carry.

For those who aren't familiar with the EFA "Spetsnaz" holster, it is a plastic holster worn OWB that allows the pistol to be drawn up in the traditional style, or, for quicker presentation and firearm readiness, the weapon can be pushed down, which disengages the safety and racks the slide, chambering a round.

The holster is designed around condition 3 carry, and quickly takes the weapon from condition 3 to 0 in a rather smooth, but unusual draw. I think the concerns about retention are valid- if I can push the gun down through the holster, so can the person behind me. I BELIEVE these are designed to be straight draw holsters, but a forward cant might help prevent this to some extent.

My biggest issue is the unusual draw to ready the weapon. If carried condition 1, then I am wasting a round from an 8+1 weapon- not optimal in any circumstance- when using a downward draw. If carried condition 3, then I risk using an upward draw and having a gun in my hand with no round in the chamber and the safety on.

As a collection piece, they seem great. From a pragmatic stand point, I have to pass. Average price I have seen them at is $70-$80, which is more than I want to pay for a novelty for a $350 gun.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

Very valid points especially about wasting a round with condition one. The way I view it is that if you carry condition 1, then you have the option to traditional draw (preferred) or in a scenario where you are unable to draw up, to waste one round, and still push out the pistol. In the regards to retention, I figure the first thing bg want to do is pull the pistol grip instead of pushing it downward
Old September 25, 2013, 11:00 PM   #4
JimmyR

Oh, I agree, but the problem with a gun grab isn't always a bad guy. Sometimes its a young child that just grabs ahold, or a grocery bag, or any of dozens of obstructions that might remove the gun from the holster.

I also just realized, but the holster doesn't cover the trigger guard. Big no-no for me.