The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 2013, 01:19 AM   #1
jbcricket

sudden scope problem

i took my 338 rum out today and finished sighting in the scope with my latest loads. I have been using this nikon on this rifle for a while now. I had it set on 14X and shot several rounds at 100 yards. Once i was satisfied i shot a group at 200 yards. First shot was good, second shot was right next to it but something seemed to happen during recoil that i couldnt quite put my finger on, when i looked thru the scope again it was blurry. My dad took a shot and it still seemed to be hitting accurately but even tho the scope was set on 14x it was obvious that it wasnt magnifying to 14x, i tried turning the power down and back up to 14x and the adjustment knob got stuck and wouldnt go all the way back to 14x. After messing around with it a bit, it now seems to adjust all the up and back down in magnification but the scope is still very blurry. I had just recently had a muzzle brake put on this rifle and a gunsmith told me that it would be very hard on the scope. Has anyone every had this happen?
Old September 17, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
geetarman

I know you have probably done this, but have you checked to see if your muzzle brake has blown a bunch of stuff back on your scope?

If the objective is clear, I would suspect that something has come loose on the internals.

Do you hear anything rattling around?

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 17, 2013, 11:14 AM   #3
wogpotter

UNLOAD THE GUN & CHECK IT'S UNLOADED.
*end lawyer proofing warning*

Try looking into the front end with a sheet of white paper behind the eyepiece at 45 degree angle & a light shining down on to it. You stand a good chance of seeing if something has "fell off" inside. If you don't immediately see the problem try zooming in & out there arte several cams that should move internal components & the movment may show something up.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”