The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2013, 11:54 PM   #1
mellow_c

Cry my eyes out... It's like everything is gone.

I've always wanted a Yugoslavian M72 (RPK style AK-47) and now I cant find one for sale anywhere. And the ones that I can find online that have already sold were $300 more than they were 2 years ago. I knew I should have bought one when I had the chance but Nooooooo, I had to go and be responsible and tell myself I didnt need one since I already have a normal Yugo AK.

Sorry for my little rant. I know we all have motivation to get what we can while we can, but I hope that we all have the same or greater motivation to speak up and get political. Like Chuck Norris says... Buying guns and ammo does nothing to protect your rights.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:00 AM   #2
globemaster3

Well, if its any indication, my LGS has everything from an HK416 to DD, Colt, Mossberg, Armalite, and S&W ARs on the rack and although they are moving, the speed has slowed much!

Also took a look on Gunbroker the other day. LOTS of black rifles almost expiring with no bids at typical inflated prices. Stripped lowers were minutes from the end of auction with only $200 on them (unlike 4-500 a couple weeks ago).

Unless Feinstein's bill does the miraculous, we may be seeing the beginning of the turning point. I am not confident enough to predict it, however!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old March 15, 2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Swampman1

Quote:
Also took a look on Gunbroker the other day. LOTS of black rifles almost expiring with no bids at typical inflated prices
Best news I've heard in a while. The panick buying will soon be over folks!
Old March 15, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Ozzieman

The panic buying will soon be over folks!
Not if Feinstein has anything to do with it.
I was at several local gun shops today looking for an AR upper (no luck) and one store had 4 AK’s. I have no idea where they were made but all of them were 1100$
Another store had a Chinese that wanted 900$. I have one of these that I paid 280$ years ago.
I wish it were over.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:54 AM   #5
MagnumWill

I'm right there with you, man. I passed up on two M70AB2's, one for $500 and one for $549. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. .

I did get lucky, though- my awesome wife got me an AES-10B instead
Old March 17, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
coldbeer

Cheer up, by this time next year the market will be flooded with all kinds of new and especially used firearms. The best hunter sits and waits.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:20 PM   #7
hodaka

I believe the end of the shortage is near. Lots of black rifles at a weekend show at near pre-panic prices. A visit to Academy saw full ammo shelves. The only thing missing was .22 LR. I am puzzled with the rim fire shortage. I don't remember .22's drying up last time this insanity struck.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Nine the Ranger

I haven't checked my LGS recently, but I've been to two separate Walmarts and seen 7.62x39 and one had 6-7 500 round cases of TULA .223.
Old March 17, 2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Technosavant

Quote:
I was at several local gun shops today looking for an AR upper (no luck) and one store had 4 AK’s. I have no idea where they were made but all of them were 1100$
Another store had a Chinese that wanted 900$. I have one of these that I paid 280$ years ago.
I wish it were over.
There's a difference between "over" and "ending." That those things were on the shelf to sell at all tells me that we've passed the peak. The people who are willing to spend insane money based on speculation of future bans have done so; Feinstein's bill doesn't have much life in it on the Senate floor and would be DOA in the House. People are realizing a new ban is very unlikely on the federal level (and most states aren't likely to come up with one).

The ammo panic is still in full swing, magazines are just hard to come by anyway, but to me it looks like the rifle panic is on the downswing; at this point there isn't much massive profit to be made anymore and the speculators still sitting on product are going to need to move it at lower prices than they were hoping to get.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:08 PM   #10
chucknbach

Quote:
The only thing missing was .22 LR. I am puzzled with the rim fire shortage. I don't remember .22's drying up last time this insanity struck.
I do. Out shooting with my son, ran out and went to walmart to get some more. Found out the hard way.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:42 AM   #11
mellow_c

Hah! Some really great posts out there

On the other hand.......

As of July 1st, Colorado will be restricted as if we were some sort of anti gun state! I can swear up and down that there was an overwhelming majority of residents who contacted officials saying no to new gun laws... ultimately Money and political influence slipped new gun laws into effect TODAY!

Really really too bad..... I've also been looking at getting a Springfield M1A Scout rifle for years now. It's ridiculous to think that I could still buy one, but I would not be ALLOWED to own the 20 round magazines that EVERYONE uses. Instead, I'll be RESTRICTED to the California 10 rounders. Who the hell is gona start making 15 round magazines for rifles???? If they Do, will we just be giving in??

This is Colorado for God's sake!
Old March 21, 2013, 02:00 AM   #12
Ignition Override

Maybe there are too many ammo flippers, competing with many other flippers to sell their ammo at the desired prices.
If many more people are starting to watch the evening news, or read the front section of the newspaper, and think for Themselves, the mindless panic will cool off. Miracles can happen.
Notice the types of rifle ammo at Ammoman right now (people want to watch for discounts), due to high prices, but it IS Available. Tonight even .40 S&W and 9x18 Makarov.

Even if Feinstein (smug, unbridled arrogance combined with feigned ignorance) knew how to sprinkle her CA fairy dust on Senator Reid, the dust would have much less influence on the House, where a bill must also get passed before it can be signed. And Reid can't easily force Senators from rural states to go against a majority of their voters. Even Reid's job is on the line in 2014.

Nothing is ever guaranteed in Congress, but it has always seemed to be the case that most politicians don't want to really risk losing their jobs.

mellow c: It's not any consolation, but if you take no magazine with the gun, your ammo might last much longer. It would still look as cool as M-1 Garands. So many shooters either sold or didn't want to buy semi-auto .308/7.62 rifles when prices were normal, because of ammo costs over the last several years.
A very thorough, typically methodical German friend (from Essen) once forgot to pack his AR mag.
Not much ammo was burned up.

Last edited by Ignition Override; March 21, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:39 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbeer
Cheer up, by this time next year the market will be flooded with all kinds of new and especially used firearms. The best hunter sits and waits.
I'm with coldbeer.. Ammo well be in short supply but fire arms and fire arm parts well be near pre election prices. The 08 election had sililar results. This time we had the real threat of a AWB that well not happen now.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:26 AM   #14
7n6

same boat

I feel the exact same only reverse. I actually have a yugo RPK but no normal AK cuz I always put off buying one just like you. Bad decisions all around

EDIT: Normal ak-47 that is, I still have my 74 and that keeps me happy enough