The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 02:20 AM   #1
seabee78

smith & wesson Sd9ve vs. Ruger p95

Which one would you folks have and why?

I'm torn between these firearms. I already have a p95, for the wife. I like it. I also like the sd9ve.

The reason I am looking at these two are because of price, feel and magazine capacity. We don't want any thing bigger or smaller, physically.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance !
seabee78
Old February 2, 2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

P95-- its simply a better gun
-------Metallica
Old February 2, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
bubbacrabb

I had the smith and completely hated the gun. I use the 95 at work, but they are DAO. While they do go boom every time I just think there are better guns out there. Since you're already in the used line, why not look for a used Glock or SR9. There has to be something out there that would be a better gun for the money. That said, the 95 does work. I wouldnt be afraid to rely on it.
Old February 2, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4
bigghoss

This has been asked a few times, once within the last couple weeks in fact. Search feature is your friend.

P95 is a stout gun, reliable. SD9 is striker-fired and they fixed the tigger from the sigma. No personal experience with the smith but I hear good things.

Looking for a used glock-a model 19 particularly- is good advice. Or a S&W M&P.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:06 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

Out of the two, the Ruger is the better choice. Much better trigger in my opinion. Both guns however are well made and simply work. Pick the one you like the best and if it's the Smith, and you can live with the trigger, you will made the right choice.
Old February 2, 2013, 11:22 AM   #6
BlueOvalFitter

That is a very hard decision. I have owned quite a few P series Ruger firearms and liked every one of them. I have also owned a SW40VE and a SW9VE and those were great firearms also.

Being you already own a P95 go to your LGS range and rent a SD9VE and shoot it. That's how I would decide.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #7
cocojo

S&W SDve all the way.
Old February 3, 2013, 01:25 PM   #8
bossman

Since you have the Ruger P 95 why not try something else? I like the S&W and it's a lighter gun if you carry. Both are fine guns so either have a his and her's with the Ruger or two different guns from two different great American gun companies. I myself like to shoot different types of guns, so I vote one of each.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 8, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
seabee78

So my wife and I went and looked at handguns today. Boy, I sure like the Beretta PX4. Anyone have an opinion or used one of these?

Thank you.

seabee78
Old February 8, 2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Justice06RR

The PX4 is another great option, a little more money but it is a nicer pistol than the P95 and SD9.

I've been wanting to buy a PX4 for a while (when the money becomes available). It is a solid pistol and the DA/SA trigger is close to the M9.

If you still want to stick with either the P95 and SD9, why not give the SD9 a try? You already know what the P95 is like; its always good to try something different.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:09 PM   #11
LockedBreech

^ I have had the PX4 for about 4-5 years and I'd argue that it's a substantially better pistol than either the P95 or SD9VE. Good recommend for only $80 more.

I once would have said P95 to this. I love Ruger, and the P95 rocks. However, having played around with a SD9VE, it's a much nicer pistol than I expected for the money. Very cleanly machined.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:30 PM   #12
tacticalmedic

If youngest the SD9, buy the Apex Trigger Kit for it and install it yourself. The best $25 you can spend on it. Makes a world of difference.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:25 AM   #13
seabee78

Has anyone ever bought a handgun via the internet and specifically Bud's gun shop. I cant find my next firearm locally and I am nervous about buying online.
If anyone has any advise about buying online or any tips about buying online please share. Thank you all very much.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:33 AM   #14
LockedBreech

smith & wesson Sd9ve vs. Ruger p95

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee78 View Post
Has anyone ever bought a handgun via the internet and specifically Bud's gun shop. I cant find my next firearm locally and I am nervous about buying online.
If anyone has any advise about buying online or any tips about buying online please share. Thank you all very much.
I recently bought my first online purchase through Bud's - a Beretta 96 around Oct. 2012. Flawless, painless procedure. Easier then picking something up from layaway.