The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 08:16 AM   #1
funtime1911

Daly VS Para

What has the better performance and reliability? I have not heard much from the Dailey is it a good gun?

Last edited by funtime1911; January 10, 2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Charles Daly 1911s WERE manufactured by Armscor in the Philippines. They are good guns, but the Charles Daly Company has been out of business for about two years.

I would rate Daly and Para perhaps about even on both performance and reliability. Paras may tend to be a bit more accurate, but unless you are into serious target competition I doubt you'll see the difference.

All things being equal (which, of course, they never are) I would choose a Para over a Charles Daly.
Old January 12, 2013, 03:01 AM   #3
bigghoss

The Daly is probably the better of the two but I would recommend a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. Basically a GI but with adequate sights. Or a Ruger SR1911 if you want the bevertail grip saftey.
Old January 12, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

If you can find a used Norinco they are very good ones as well. For something like the Daly check out the Rock River Arms line. They are quite similar, and close to the same. The Para is not a bad one at all. As well all of the many upon many Taurus PT 1911 I have seen at the range no one had anything bad to say about them. They seem to be among the best guns Taurus makes.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
jaytothekizzay

Did you mean Rock Island Armory?
Old January 13, 2013, 11:25 AM   #6
WVsig

Like so many things it depends...

As others have stated Charles Daly is out of business and has been for a few years. When they were in business they were an importer and a name plate not a manufacturer similar to SA. Their 1911s were made by Armscor and were as good as any other Armscor gun at that time. If it were me I would just get a RIA , Rock Island Armory, which is a current production Armscor gun unless the Daly was priced below $300.

The Para is a bit trickier. If the Para was made in the US then you have a much higher probability of getting a good gun. Since moving their production to NC, IIRC, the quality control has really improved. Prior to that they were developing one of the worst QC records in the 1911 industry and for that reason if it is not a US production gun I would pass.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:02 PM   #7
1stmar

The new paras are good, stay away from the "x" model, it has the power extractor and is very finicky. You get a lot of gunfir the money and the CS is much improved. The black ops models are ionbond.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Dashunde

I had a Canadian Para with the PXT extractor.... good gun overall, was very accurate and had great trigger.
It was well made and smooth in every respect, positively buttery in fact.
Its black coating simply sucked, a lot.

It was no Glock, but the Para's reliability was just fine for the range, which is about the only use I have for 1911's anymore.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:24 PM   #9
1stmar

The Canadian version was not ion bond. The power extractor can be hit or miss, they moved away from them for a reason and they now have a replacement from egw that is very good. Ion bond treatment can cost up to 400$ alone. Many of their guns are using parts from egw, brown, C&S and vz. They are really improving their products.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:57 PM   #10
blackamos

The hicap Charles Daly are just Bul m5 1911 with a Charles Daly stamp on the side. The Bul m5 is a great 1911. http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...dalym5_113005/
Old January 13, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
igolfat8

I had a Charles Daily that I could not unload fast enough. It was rare to run a single mag without a FTF, FTE or Stovepipe. What a piece of garbage!
Old January 13, 2013, 10:39 PM   #12
LRChops

I have a Canadian LDA .45 Para. Interesting action as it is light and smooth! The pistol has potential to be a good gun if Para would have taken the time to put some nice checkering on the front of the grip rather than the striations that are uneven and ugly looking. The slide is a bit loose on the frame, but I guess that is common with officers model .45's. Just seems this one has much more play than my Colt or Kimber.

Only change I made to my Para was a full length guide rod which corrected the accuracy noticeably as it aligned the slide properly.