The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 8, 2012, 10:43 AM   #1
huntinaz

Can't Wait!

Typing from work, I just need to endure about 8 more hours and then I'm punching the clock, packing up my gear and heading down the hill to meet a couple good friends I met in grad school. Getting up bright and early tomorrow morning, have a mile or so hike in the dark and will be ariving ~daybreak to a high point where I'll have about 270 degrees of unobstructed vision. The binoculars and tripod are ready, rifle is dialed in, and I'll have a can of Cope snuff in my pocket. The only obligation I have tomorrow is to find a buck to shoot. Hopefully I'll have some pics to post in a few days.

It's deer season!!!

Last edited by huntinaz; November 8, 2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
hooligan1

Good luck man!! our season starts on saturday the tenth, so I can't wait.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Saltydog235

Good luck, sounds like a good time.

Is that Mule Deer out there?
Old November 8, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4
huntinaz

Quote:
Is that Mule Deer out there?
I can only shoot a mule deer on my tag, but there are populations of Coues whitetail in the area I'll be hunting. While scouting I saw tracks I believe were Coues tracks but it's hard to tell for sure. With my luck, I'll most likely have an easy shot at a monster Coues buck and won't be able to take it
Old November 12, 2012, 11:28 PM   #5
huntinaz

No deer yet but we're trying.Started off below the rim looking for desert mulies. Found a few, only one buck but we couldn't get on him. Here's a pic of me glassing from the evening of the first day. Whole lot of country to look at, but not many deer:

We've moved up to the high country. We got distracted by a little squirrel hunting. My buddy bagged this monster :
Old November 13, 2012, 03:35 PM   #6
hooligan1

WOW beautiful country!!
Old November 16, 2012, 02:23 PM   #7
huntinaz

Well, we went 0-3 in filled tags this year. I hunted all 7 days and didn't see a buck for sure, although the last evening I pulled a sneak on some deer and I think one was a buck. A guy on the hill north of us killed a nice buck the first morning.

My buddy saw a buck the second morning but botched the sneak (his second year hunting). We found this skull later in the day, pretty nice buck. We didn't measure it but I'm guessing is was 24-26 inches wide. Next year he would have been a really nice one:

On day 3 we moved up to high country. It's an area with a heavy doe population but finding a buck is tricky. We spent 3 days total up there and saw about 100 does. Zero bucks. Can't say I was surprised but it was a good change of scenery and we bagged 10 squirrels over 3 days. We passed up more than that. Here's a few more, in addition to the one posted above:

I spent the last day back down in the desert. I finally found 4 deer about a mile away with an hour and a half of daylight left. I made the sneak but they kept feeding away from me and up on a ridge. In the time it took me to close the final 500 yards they cut a hard left and when I crested the hill they busted me ~100 yards to my left. I only saw the ass end of one, didn't see it's head. However when I had them at 600 yards, I could tell one of the deer was very big bodied and it was running the others around. I think it was a buck but didn't ever get a great look at it's head. So it goes sometimes. Here's a parting shot of the desert. It's fun to glass but I wish it held more deer: