The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 27, 2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Nakanokalronin

Picked up my XDS 2 tone and shot it along side my 9mm Shield

While browsing my LGS last week, I noticed a new looking 2-tone XDS in the used case. Upon further examination inside and out, it looked unfired. After talking to the workers there that I've known for many years, it came from a guy who buys the newest guns to come out and only shoots a few of the guns he buys before he trades them in. The Shield I bought was barely used and I honestly think it came from the same guy since it came from the same shop, so thanks to him for making these guns $100+ cheaper for me.

In any case, I took it to the range along with my 9mm Shield to compare accuracy, recoil, grip, etc. Ammo for the XDS was a mix of American Eagle bulk 230gr. ball, S&B 230gr. ball, HST standard pressure 230gr. HP and PDX-1 standard pressure 230gr. HP. Ammo for the Shield was a mix of RWS 124gr. ball, Federal 115gr. ball, PDX-1 124gr. +P and HST 124gr. +P.

To make a long story short, both guns pretty much had the same amount of recoil, the XDS was a tad more accurate and both grips were very comfortable and stayed firmly planted in the hands. I brought only 150rds for each gun (300 total) and neither gun had a single malfunction.

The trigger on the XDS is quite different than the Shield. The XDS trigger is more "Glock like" as in a sharp break and then it stays completely rearward unless the slide is racked. The reset is also nice and short, which is much different than the other 7 standard XDs I've owned and if you're familiar with the standard internals, you can see there's been a change and IMO, a good one. The Shield trigger is a little smoother but that's because I've not only shot it more, but I've installed an APEX sear and polished/rounded the striker block as well. They make a spring kit for the XDS which lightens the pull some but IMO it's not needed.

As for the grip texture, it looks really aggressive but it dosn't hurt your hand in the slightest. I have large hands, but I put the smaller back strap on the XDS mainly because it changes the angle. With the large backstrap, I felt like I was holding a 3rd gen G26 with the oversized hump pressing into my palm which you may or may not like.

Overall the XDS and Shield are pretty much identical in size. It would be a really hard choice between the two, especially when the XDS comes out in .40 and 9mm. I've always liked 45acp in how it shoots and feels and since I'm already a little above the accuracy of the Shield with only my first outing, it may be the overall winner.... but we'll see.

Old October 27, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Nakanokalronin

I also wanted to add that these type guns do not need extensions or grip enhancements to be easily controlled as long as you have a good grip. For me, it's a thumbs forward grip on every semi-auto I shoot.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Nakanokalronin

Sorry to hear about your issues. My two favorite 45acp carry loads are the HST 230gr. standard pressure and the PDX-1/Rangers 230gr.. Both performed perfectly in the XDS, but I know sometimes guns are as individual as people.
Old October 30, 2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Nakanokalronin

Well I shot the Shield and XDS again at a different range that allows quick shooting and reload and the XDS is the one that's staying.

It just shoots much more accurately and it feels great in the hand. The Shield is no slouch, but even though it's trigger is lighter and smoother, the XDS's trigger is just so much better and the recoil actually allows faster follow-up shots if that makes any sense. The Shield barely jumps in the hand but it takes me longer to get a bead on the sight picture for the next shot, but with the XDS it's one after another.

Here are some targets at 15 yards shooting as fast as I could pull the trigger on the XDS, reload and shoot another mag. The silhouette has 2 reloads with a total of 15rds.

Old October 30, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5
wbw

Nice shooting. Congrats on you new pistol.

The XDs would probably get the nod from me just because of the FO front sight. Plus, I am a big fan of the XDm.

Last edited by wbw; October 30, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old October 31, 2012, 08:00 PM   #6
rambilt

Congrats to your new XDS... I too love my XDS!!!
Old October 31, 2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Mosin44az

Wow I wouldn't ditch your Shield. They are in GREAT demand right now. On another thread here, Smith & Wesson told some store owner that they are backordered by 40,000.....unless they expand capacity, that's a backup of YEARS.....

Interesting that you think the XDS feels similar to the Shield on recoil. That lessens my interest in the Shield, because 9mms shouldn't kick like a small polymer .45. I rented an XDS, and thought it was unacceptable on recoil.
Old November 1, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
Madcap_Magician

That's largely subjective. I haven't had the chance to shoot an XDs, but the Shield to me recoils like a Glock 19 or the regular compact M&P9c.
Old November 1, 2012, 01:33 PM   #9
hounddawg

I flipped mine after 90 rounds. Just decided I liked my 9mm PPS better and did not need another carry gun. It wasn't too picky over ammo, but mine shot low center for some reason. Recoil was manageable but bottom line was my subjective opinion was the Walther was more pleasant and more accurate