The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 03:00 PM   #26
dgludwig

I've always thought that the Taurus 1911 was a lot of pistol for the money.
Old September 17, 2012, 03:45 PM   #27
vyse.04

Quote:
I've always thought that the Taurus 1911 was a lot of pistol for the money.
It is, but if you are able to spend $800-$1000 on a 1911, I would look at something a little nicer. And yes, I also have a PT1911. No issues in the last five or so years that I have owned it.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:47 PM   #28
grubbylabs

Thanks for the responses every one,

I have gotten a lot of what you would by but very little as to why, what features does your recommendation have that you think puts it above the rest?

Thanks.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old September 17, 2012, 05:04 PM   #29
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I have gotten a lot of what you would by but very little as to why, what features does your recommendation have that you think puts it above the rest?
Reliability and customer service. 1911s are kind of a gamble in terms of reliability (that's right, I said it ). For instance, I have 5 SA 1911s. 3 of them have performed flawlessly from day one. 1 just had a sticking safety and way too much overtravel, otherwise worked fine. The other had trouble feeding JHPs. I called SA about both guns, they paid shipping both ways, fixed the guns just as I requested, and now both function flawlessly.
Old September 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #30
vyse.04

Quote:
what features does your recommendation have that you think puts it above the rest?
As far as features, you will have to determine which "upgrades" are necessary. I like checkered front straps, and that is about it as far as "custom options" go. While I like beavertails, I have no problems shooting a GI style 1911. I also do not care for extended safeties/slide stops, but that is just me.

Luckily most of those things can be changed to fit the end user. I would try and handle/shoot as many as you can to get an accurate look at what you want... especially if it can save you a couple hundred dollars going with a lesser model of the same brand. Colts entry/midrange guns are priced very close to each other. Brands like STI and Kimber have more of a spread. I haven't seen a value priced 1911 from Springfield in a LOOONNNNGGG time, but their prices are pretty close outside of one or two models.
Old September 17, 2012, 07:27 PM   #31
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
If you had 800-1000 give or take a few, what 1911 would you buy and why?

I want a 1911 for both fun and a ccw.
I personally am a big Colt and Wilson Combat fan; have and shoot both. For your money that leaves Colt.

I would look for a NIB latest release of the Colt Combat Elite; they seem to be pretty scarce at the moment, but worth looking for.

It really depends on if you have any experience carrying a 1911; a Government model can easily top 40 ounces unloaded. I often carry one all day long; but, it really is different than throwing a LCP in my front pocket!

Should be able to find a Colt 1991 Commander fairly easily. Some really like the balance of the Commander better than the Government. And they are a bit lighter; even in all steel, they also offer a light weight version.

I would stay with either the Government or the Commander as a first 1911; anything smaller is a different "experience" (and I have had a number of different 1911s in different sizes and configurations and still enjoy carrying an Officer's model - just a bit more of a "high maintenance" version that takes a bit more to maintain and to shoot.)

Of all of the "bells and whistles" available, my favorite is having an undercut trigger guard; allows for a higher grip and thus lower bore axis relative to the hand (even if it is just a little higher/better grip I personally value this.)

Now, go figure...
Old September 17, 2012, 08:48 PM   #32
ripnbst

I am in your price range as well and considering a 1911. I had a Para Ordnance CCO model that was nothing but problems. Nearly every trip to the range resulted in a breakage. Talk about mad...

I will be picking up a S&W E series scandium model, not sure exactly which one yet. I'd like to get something in CCO size but I'm not sure S&W offers a CCO sized model at this time. The reason I decided on S&W is their CS is awesome, every other firearm I have from them (M&P 9c and a couple J frames). Have been great. And their options on their 1911's for the money I find to be a great value.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:54 PM   #33
erob3

Thank you for the correction Grubby....I should have been more attentive to your post. As to a .45, I have owned the Ruger SR1911, it's SS so that one is out since you are looking for a blue finish. I also have owned a Springfield Mil-Spec, it was very reliable and accurate but the trigger was awful out of the box. After a trigger job I was able to reduce the pull down to around
5 lbs, much nicer after that. As mentioned previously check STI pistols, why is because the attention to detail for fit. The STI finish is more towards the parkerized type than blue, therefore, I would believe it to be more durable. STI offers several pistols with a variety of options so a person could probably find most any combination they are looking for. Colt speaks for itself. I would even recommend the Springfield again, as long as the trigger is good it is a very high quality pistol. Mine was very accurate and never had a FTF.....ever. Again, Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Last edited by erob3; September 17, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:33 AM   #34
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbylabs
have gotten a lot of what you would by but very little as to why, what features does your recommendation have that you think puts it above the rest?
I thought I covered the "whys" in my post, but let's try again.

Your price range is up to $1,000, which would allow you to get beyond the entry-level pistols from the Philippines or Turkey. It gets you into Colt territory. THAT gets you a forged frame and a forged slide. That gets you fewer MIM parts than any 1911 other than the more expensive custom and semi-custom brands that are well beyond your price range. And that gets you a Colt, which has a name that will always be worth something, and customer service that few other handgun companies can match.

I suggested a Commander because that seems to be the best size for the purposes you said you intend to use it for.

I suggested the 1991 series, which has NO "features," first because I don't think most people need the so-called "features" found on the more expensive XSE series and, second, because I think an XSE would be over the $1,000 price. In particular, the XSE has front cocking serrations, which I think are useless and which shred leather holsters. The XSE also has an undercut trigger guard where it meets the front strap. I've been shooting 1911s that DON'T have that since 1967. I think it's ugly, and I don't think it makes any substantive difference, so why pay money for it?
Old September 18, 2012, 11:23 AM   #35
QuakertownRich

Colt=paying for the name. Period. A basic colt with nothing extra like improved sights/grips/trigger/lowered ejection port goes for at best $900...hence paying for the name. You can buy the same basic model made by Springfield for several hundred less and still get great cs and reputation gun. Colt snobs have drank the kool-aid and want you to buy into it as well to help reassure them they didn't. To spend the extra money on a basic model JUST to say you have a colt, to me, is assinine. There are better offerings for the money out there. Springfield, Sig, S&W are just a few.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:42 AM   #36
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
You can buy the same basic model made by Springfield for several hundred less and still get great cs and reputation gun.
Perhaps so, perhaps no.

And where are these Springfields being made? There seems to be a reason that some of the folks who purchase Springfields talk about the "NM" designation.

So, you can spend a little more and have a made in the USA 1911 with a high resale value; doubtful that you can really find many NIB Springfields for "several hundred less", several to me means more than a couple, for a comparable model to a Colt.

But, variety is the spice of life and as always YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old September 18, 2012, 11:55 AM   #37
QuakertownRich

Took me a whole 15seconds of searching of gunbroker to find 5 NIB Springfield Mil-Spec 1911's, some being ss, for under $700. Some even had buy-it-now for under $700. FWIW, I don't currently own a Springfield. I did own a Springfield Loaded 1911 in ss I bought a few yrs ago for $700, had it for a yr or two and sold it quickly for $600 due to financial issues.
I just bought this for $899 delivered to my FFL:

A Sig 1911 Extreme.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:57 AM   #38
tnelson31

RIA 1911

I have a RIA 1911 9mm. I love the gun--shoots great, feeds well with Springfield magazines. I hate the finish, however (parkerized) and will replace it someday (at least with a twin in function.)

This might be duh! for you but if you want a blued gun stick to that. I do not think RIA sells those.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:54 PM   #39
grubbylabs

Aguila Blanca I was just making a generalized blanket statement. Some did some did not. But your last post included some really good info, like made in America, forged frame and slide. Plus I am looking for something that is simple, I just need it to work, and be reliable. I don't want a bunch of serrations, accessory rails and what ever else some mall ninja thinks a gun needs. If I could find a good used WWII gun I would buy it in a hart beat. For all the 1911 bashing you would think that it has not been an effective side arm for just over 100 years. I have not made up my mind, but I can't imagine that the company that has been building them for 100 years does not build a quality 1911.

I just have no experience with them and basically know nothing about the 1911.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 03:05 PM   #40
QuakertownRich

Quote:
Aguila Blanca I was just making a generalized blanket statement. Some did some did not. But your last post included some really good info, like made in America, forged frame and slide. Plus I am looking for something that is simple, I just need it to work, and be reliable. I don't want a bunch of serrations, accessory rails and what ever else some mall ninja thinks a gun needs. If I could find a good used WWII gun I would buy it in a hart beat. For all the 1911 bashing you would think that it has not been an effective side arm for just over 100 years. I have not made up my mind, but I can't imagine that the company that has been building them for 100 years does not build a quality 1911.

I just have no experience with them and basically know nothing about the 1911.
After reading this I actually DID laugh out loud. You seriously need to educate yourself on not only the 1911, but guns themselves. First off, serrations and accessory rails are not "mall ninja" options. Serrations give you a more positive grip on the slide when racking the slide. The more aggressive the serrations, the better the ability to grip it. As for the accessory rail, some ppl will use their 1911 and would like a laser or light on it to aid in their self-defense. This doesn't make them "mall ninja's". I hadn't planned on doing that, but liked the look of it just the same and appreciated the ability. Other options on an upgraded 1911 are also for function, not "mall ninja", such as lowered ejection port which helps prevent stovepipes during firing. Ambi-safety for left handed shooters. Also improved sights over the standard low-profile sights which are difficult to pickup sight picture quickly. Front checkering on the front strap which aids in positive gripping during firing of the weapon. Improved grips over the standard smooth grips which also aid in more positive grip during firing. The forged slide and frame remark is ok, but most have them anyway, and unless you plan to put beau coup +p rounds through it like in 100's of thousands, it wouldnt matter anyway. The "made in America" bit sounds good, but how many ppl who blather about it turn down a Glock because it isn't? Some of the best weapons in the world are not made here like H&K, Glock and Sig, and to turn your nose at them for that reason is foolish.
Edit to add: Just where was this 1911 bashing you refer to? If saying something is overpriced is "bashing", then there is something ELSE you need to research more into.

Last edited by QuakertownRich; September 18, 2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old September 18, 2012, 05:08 PM   #41
grubbylabs

Sorry I ruffled your feathers but as far as I am concerned extra serrations and accessory rails are mostly for mall ninjas, I am not storming a building or clearing rooms and raiding any thing, I only need to protect my self and my family. If you think you need to go to the range and run "drills" with your decked our AR and and pistol with every gizmo known to man attached to the accessory rails then more power to you. As for me, plain and simple is good.

And as for bashing there has been plenty who say it is unreliable, takes to much up keep to keep it reliable, they are outdated and so on. It seems that every maker has multiple different price points and some deserve to be in higher ones while others seem to be dreaming.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 06:11 PM   #42
marine6680

Lets get back to the 1911s.

For me... I am looking at getting one soon as well.

I looked at the Ruger (around $700)
Springfield Loaded, Range Officer, and TRP Armory Kote non railed. ($800-$1400)
Remington R1 Enhanced (around $800)
STI Trojan (around $650)

A friend owned a S&W that I really liked, so its a good choice as well.

I loved the TRP, but being that this would be mostly a range toy... that is a lot of cash.

Have not handled the STI, but hear good things.

The Ruger was nice, as well as the SA loaded.

The Range Officer looks like a good option, but no hands on with it yet.

So I am leaning to the R1 Enhanced... Held one, tried the trigger, controls, basic feel... it is a really nice pistol.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:27 PM   #43
grubbylabs

Thanks marine6680 good input,

What do you like about your friends Smith? Is the trigger nicer than others? Seem to be put together better? Just plain feels better? I am just looking for feed back.

Also why are you leaning towards the Remington?

Thanks for your reply.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 06:50 PM   #44
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
I looked at the Ruger (around $700) I owned one--very solid 1911; I had no issues with it at all.
Springfield Loaded, Range Officer, and TRP Armory Kote non railed. ($800-$1400)
Remington R1 Enhanced (around $800)
STI Trojan (around $650)

A friend owned a S&W that I really liked, so its a good choice as well. I have an E-Series S&W that's been great. 1 malfunction (1st mag) in well over 1K rounds and it's a tack driver.

I loved the TRP, but being that this would be mostly a range toy... that is a lot of cash.

Have not handled the STI, but hear good things.

The Ruger was nice, as well as the SA loaded. Agreed. If I had to choose I'd get the SA due to SA's legendary customer service.

The Range Officer looks like a good option, but no hands on with it yet. I have one as well. Very good gun. The only thing I don't like about it are the plain sights (easily changed but still). Other Loaded models come with better sights and are priced similarly.
I responded in red with my experience. I'm sure Marine will be along to add further input as well.
Old September 18, 2012, 07:36 PM   #45
grubbylabs

Quote:
I responded in red with my experience. I'm sure Marine will be along to add further input as well.
Thanks, I hope he will also respond. It is nice to know what people are liking and why.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 07:41 PM   #46
marine6680

The S&W he had was several years ago...

I couldn't miss with it.

It was not a high end fancy model, it was similar to the Ruger in look and feel. He did a trigger job on it and it also seemed well put together.

The R1 enhanced... It was just really nice. The trigger was nice, dang close to the TRP in weight and break feel on the one I tried. Felt solid and well built, nice grips and good checkering on the front and back strap. It has all the standard upgrades over the GI style, like lowered and flared ejection port, extended beaver tail, etc... the usual stuff... not as decked out as the TRP and other higher end stuff, but good for a range gun.

It felt the best of the ones I have picked up that was $1000 or less... other than one of the Sig Scorpions I picked up, that felt nice in the hand as well.

That TRP was really nice though, if a little more aggressive in the checkering, I really liked it the best, but the cost and extra features I don't need in a range toy.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:01 PM   #47
grubbylabs

Cool thanks marine. How it feels in your hand is just as important as fit and function and reliability, as well as the quality of the parts they are made with. I know that all but the Colts are copies, but I can't help but think that each manufacturer does things just a little different even if its in how they fit the parts and machine and cast them. I am sure it has an effect on how it feels as much as any thing.

(Capt Charlie)
Old September 18, 2012, 08:04 PM   #48
marine6680

The Colts are nice... but so are the others.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:45 PM   #49
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Well, let's address this one point at a time:

Aggressive serrations cause damage to holsters. That's a fact. ALL 1911s have serrations at the rear. It's the front serrations whose value is open to debate, and I am not the only 1911 shooter who thinks they are not only unnecessary, but also promote bad habits.

An accessory rail is good, if you plan to mount accessories. Many experts do NOT like weapon-mounted lights, because to use one you MUST break a primary rule of firearms safety: To use a weapon-mounted light to identify an unknown person, you have to point a loaded pistol at them. Beyond that, isn't having some piece of tactical gear when you DON'T need it or plan to use it pretty much the definition of "Mall Ninja"?

Quote:
Other options on an upgraded 1911 are also for function, not "mall ninja", such as lowered ejection port which helps prevent stovepipes during firing.
Virtually every commercially-available 1911 being made today (other than those intended to look like military M1911A1s) have lowered and flared ejection ports. And they don't really help prevent stovepipes, anyway. They may facilitate ejecting loaded rounds when clearing the pistol.

Quote:
Ambi-safety for left handed shooters.
Good idea if you're a lefty, an annoyance if you're not.

Quote:
Also improved sights over the standard low-profile sights which are difficult to pickup sight picture quickly.
Like the lowered ejection port, all current 1911s other than those intended to mimic the military pistols comes with some sort of enhanced sights.

Quote:
Front checkering on the front strap which aids in positive gripping during firing of the weapon.
Or which abrade the shooter's hand. Many people like front strap checkering. many others do not. I do not.

Quote:
Improved grips over the standard smooth grips which also aid in more positive grip during firing.
I think only Rock Island sells 1911s with smooth grips. I can't recall any other brand whose basic, standard grips aren't checkered or serrated or have some type of texture.

Quote:
The forged slide and frame remark is ok, but most have them anyway, and unless you plan to put beau coup +p rounds through it like in 100's of thousands, it wouldnt matter anyway.
Actually, at the $1,000 and down price point almost NONE have forged frames and slides. Colt does. Springfield does (but those are not made in the U.S.) All the others in this price range use investment cast frames, and most of the others in this price range also use investment cast slides. A few use "extruded" slides, and there's debate as to whether or not to consider that a form of forging.

Quote:
The "made in America" bit sounds good, but how many ppl who blather about it turn down a Glock because it isn't? Some of the best weapons in the world are not made here like H&K, Glock and Sig, and to turn your nose at them for that reason is foolish.
People don't blather about "Made in USA" because of quality, they blather about it because the economy of the United States is in the toilet and some of us would prefer to support American workers. Springfield, for example, makes decent 1911s. I know that, and I acknowledge that. I won't buy one, because they are made in Brazil. Even the ones that say "Made in USA" (the NM serial number guns) are made in Brazil. The difference is that for the NM guns the slides, frames, and other parts are shipped to the U.S. and the final assembly is done in Illinois. The way the law is written, if they can claim that more than 50 percent of the labor is performed in the U.S., they can claim the product is "Made in USA." Unlike Springfield Armory, I have visited the Colt factory in Connecticut and watched the guns being made. I know Colts are made in the U.S.

Last edited by Tom Servo; September 19, 2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Removed reference to deleted post
Old September 19, 2012, 12:20 AM   #50
YankeeIronSights

Dollar dollar, the Ruger SR1911 offers quality, accuracy, craftmanship, reliability and solid warranty. For less than $700.00 average price, this is a best buy. I have a used one on layaway that I plan to pick up this week.