The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 1, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1
BigPoppa

NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home

I am seriously considering taking this course in May and was wondering if anyone else had taken this course and how did you like it. The cost is $100 and I was thinking if I would get any useful information from the course that would actually be worth $100 plus the time spent and the 150 rounds of ammo that is supposed to be used.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:19 AM   #2
Murdock

I am an instructor for this course. The best thing about it is that the NRA requires an attorney to be part of the instruction team. There is no better way to learn the real details of the law relative to use of lethal force in self defense in your own state. Generic information and chat room speculation don't cut it when the reality of law hits.

$100 is about par.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

I'm also NRA certified for the course. To some extent it might depend on what sort of training one already has had. But in general, I think it's very worthwhile. And $100 is very reasonable for the class, IMO.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:45 PM   #4
wayneinFL

Wow. If someone in FL did the class for $100 in my area, I'd take it in a heartbeat.
Old March 1, 2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Lee Lapin

Wayne,

See http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx to determine what NRA classes are offered - searchable by zip code or by state.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old March 1, 2012, 04:12 PM   #6
DasGuy

I just checked for my area, they want $200. The next closest one (which isn't really close at all) is $350.

So they get to charge whatever they want for these pretty much? I figured there'd be a standard or something.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Discern

Be aware there are prereqs for the NRA Personal Protection Outside The Home, and Personal Protection In The Home is a prereq for PPOTH. PPITH also has a prereq of proof of prior shooting experience. Holsters must also meet specific requirements.

The NRA still lists Personal Protection Outside The Home as having two levels. Approx 100 rounds are required for level 1 and aprox 115 rounds required for level 2 per the NRA website. You mentioned they suggest 150 rounds. Contact the instructor to clarify what the class is and is not. I would also take more ammo than is suggested.

The NRA does not have any requirements on class fees. Class fees are affected by range costs, insurance, NRA class materials, etc. Some NRA instructors also have part of the fees going to them as compensation for their services. Some NRA instructors do not take compensation for their services.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:12 PM   #8
psyfly

Deleted
Old March 6, 2012, 12:18 PM   #9
kflo01

I have taken it last July. My adice take it and dont pass it up. You do some many things that you cant do at a normal range I wouldnt miss out on it. Fun times and you learn allot. Def allot of the drills you do you cant do at a normal range that alone should be enough reason to take the course.

Also 100.00 is cheap to take that class. It cost way more than that. WAY more just to shoot at the range for 8 hours. Let alone 16 hours.

Class cost me 185.00.
I wonder how many people re take classes. Ia m considering takign this a 2nd time just because it was so fun.
Old March 6, 2012, 11:31 PM   #10
wayneinFL

Quote:
Wayne,

See http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx to determine what NRA classes are offered - searchable by zip code or by state.
Thanks for posting the link, but I've searched it before. I've never seen it offered anywhere in FL for $100.

Searching again, today, no PPOTH course within 100 miles. The only courses I see within 200 miles of me are Orlando and Ft. Myers, for $205 and $350, respectively.
Old March 10, 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
mordis

This course is offered near me as well. My question is, what is lvl 2 of the course like? It seams like its such a worth while course even tho its so cheap here.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:08 PM   #12
Deja vu

I jsut checked my local area up to 50 miles away and nothing came up at all and I checked all of the boxes for the classes. At 100 miles away I found 3 classes but they are all about 90+ miles away.

I guess that is a price you pay for living away from every one. The closest out side the home class is 185 miles away and $200.00

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...