The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2011, 06:30 PM   #1
1badz

38spl swc cast bullet lube.

Just bought some 158 SWC lead cast bullets for show this weekend, after you seat the bullet do you clean all the lube off the bullet? These bullets were in a bulk pack so the lube is kinda all over. Thanks.
Old January 17, 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

No need to worry about it. They are revolver rounds, and will the lube on the bullet should not affect the ability of the round to chamber, or eject.

Load, shoot, take home, decap/size, flare, prime, charge, seat bullets, and crimp. Then take them to the range, and repat as much as you possibly can.

Unless you are the anal type that demands each round look absolutely flawless I would not worry about it.
Old January 17, 2011, 07:19 PM   #3
1badz

Nope,not going for looks just wanted to make sure i wasent missing a step.I have used lots of black bullets that are lead with moly lube on them, but never used any like this yet,for the most part the lube is in the groove.
Old January 17, 2011, 07:22 PM   #4
zippy13

I don't know if I'm anal or anxious…
Years ago I tossed some reloads in my pocket. A while later I went to load them, and yuck… there was pocket lint and grit happily hitchhiking on the bullet's exposed lube. Thinking it wouldn't do my barrel any good having this junk run down it under pressure, I now wipe my reloads. And, to be extra cautious, I use a hot lube that's supposed to be hard (not sticky) at room temp. YMMV.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5
reloader28

If I'm throwing the rounds into a bulk can, I'll wipe them off first. It just keeps the lube from getting all over the brass.

If I'm putting them into an actual ammo box that keeps them all seperated, I usually dont bother except for looks.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:03 PM   #6
crowbeaner

I'm with RL28; I wipe all the excess off every round even if it takes all the next day. Hand cramping work, but I like nice fresh shiny ammo. Anal retensive probably but they also call me old school and a plethora of uncomplementary epithets.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:21 PM   #7
AlaskaMike

I don't know if it would be an issue for you, but if you have lube on the bullet bases it could make for an objectionable amount of smoke when you fire the rounds. The lube could also melt if subjected to hot temps and contaminate the powder. For those reasons I always wipe bullet bases.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Edward429451

Wiping bases as you seat them and wiping noses of excess lube when finished reloading are steps in the loading process. It's not being anal, its merely doing it correctly as lube on a boolit base can contaminate powder and interfere with consistent ignition so must be cleaned from the boolit base before seating the boolit.

Wiping the nose and finished cartdrige of excess lube is a given so that the lube will not pick up dust and carry it into your bore. If you use the alox in a bowl liqued lube, the extra lube may help but be prepared to wipe the bases upon loading and to store them in a manner where they can not pick up dust.