The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 9, 2015, 09:00 PM   #76
spacecoast

I have managed to acquire a number of Lugers (both shooters and collectors) and one collector P38 (a May '43 Spreewerk in really nice shape). The Lugers are unique and really fun to shoot, very accurate and garner attention at the range. The P38, while not having nearly the history or number of variations as the P08, is also historically significant being the first DA/SA production pistol (at least I believe that is correct).

While I have yet to shoot a P38 (or P1), I daresay that in a SD situation I would probably go with the newer, more modern design. Lugers can be finicky to get to run reliably, although I had good luck with my .30 cal a few weeks ago.

I will also observe that Lugers are easy to break down and put back together once you know what you are doing, much easier IMO than a complete takedown of a 1911 or a Ruger MKII, for instance.

Last edited by spacecoast; January 9, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old January 10, 2015, 12:00 PM   #77
Pico

BHP

I came in on the end of this and excuse me if someone mentioned it but I heard the Germans prized the captured Belgian BHP over all.

Pico
Old January 10, 2015, 04:31 PM   #78
GyMac

A good friend was "conscripted" in 1945 along with the other boys from his high school in 1945. Wounded soldiers deemed unfit for front line service were their leaders. Among the weapons they were issued were Lugers (null acht), as they received only obsolete equipment and that's how the Lugers were viewed. What he "wanted" never seems to have entered into his thinking. He ended up with a PPSh.
Old January 11, 2015, 08:37 AM   #79
Pilot

Quote:
The P38, while not having nearly the history or number of variations as the P08, is also historically significant being the first DA/SA production pistol (at least I believe that is correct).

I don't think it was the "first" either but the Walther PP proceeded the P-38 by several years and was DA/SA.

I much prefer shooting my P-08 Luger. It is very accurate, and very reliable with any ammo I shoot in it, including hollow points, and my lead reloads. I have no ideas what German troops thought of it, but believe it was more of an officers symbol/self defense pistol than anything, but I could be wrong.
Old January 11, 2015, 09:01 AM   #80
tallball

Unfortunately, it is about five years too late for me to ask my grandfather about this.

He did have a Luger taken from a German SS officer, but it was stolen out of his bags by other GI's and never made it home. Although Grandpa grew up speaking German (on the family farm in Washington State), he didn't ask the officer about the Luger.

Grandpa and his unit of forward artillery observers where unfortunate enough to chance upon Dachau concentration camp soon after the Germans left it.

After that they did not take SS as prisoners, so the officer wasn't able to comment about the Luger.