The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2009, 09:00 PM   #1
bravorigging

need some input

I have been looking for a trap/sporting clays gun for sometime now and money is kinda tight but i think I found a deal I cant pass up. The gun is a Browning XT TRAP adjustible comb from factory a gunsmith added a gracol adjustible stock 32in. barrels $1399. Is it just me or is this to good a deal to pass up,some input would be appreciated. The gun looks to be in 97-99%.
Old December 9, 2009, 09:47 PM   #2
oneounceload

BigJimP is the pro on the XT trap-style guns. Considering a Gracoil is worth several hundred dollars by itself, it sounds like a good deal, especially for trap. Personally, I shoot sporting from a low-gun position, so that style might not work as well. However, if you shoot from a pre-mounted position, and it fits, it should work fine
Old December 10, 2009, 12:43 AM   #3
olddrum1

It would help if a couple of pictures were included. When you mention the gracoil, it tells me this gun might have a moderate number of rounds through it. If I might make a statement here, you will find this gun much more suitable for trap than sporting clays due to stock and rib. I believe, if its like one of mine, it will shoot a little high. I am not saying you can not shoot sporting clays but you will have a few misses over time until you get used to where it shoots. The value does not sound bad if it is not a high round gun but BJP probably could nail the value down better in that I have been out of the market for awhile.
Old December 10, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4
BigJimP

I like the Browning XT - but for anything other than Trap - its a little bit too heavy and swings a little too slowly for crossing birds that you don't see in Trap ( but my XT's are both 32" barrels ). The extra length and weight in the XT is an advantage in "Trap" because there is less Left to Right or Right to Left barrel movement - than there is in Sporting Clays or Skeet. But the price seems pretty good. There are 3 versions of the GraCoil system / some adjustable, some not - you can look at them on their web-site.

I shoot a pre-mounted gun for sporting / and I use the Bobby Fowler Jr method of dropping muzzle a little ... so the Trap style - parallel comb stock is not a disadvantage.

I think the Browning XS Skeet ( or the XS Special ), with an adj comb, is a better choice for an all around gun for Sporting Clays, Skeet and bird hunting ( with 30" barrels ) - but if the XT you are looking at has 30" barrels, while its still heavy, it may be ok.

The XT's will shoot a pretty high pattern / vs point of impact - but most of them, you can adjust the comb to get them down close to 50/50 or 60/40 which might be ok for you. I like my sporting, skeet and hunting gun to be pretty close to 50%/50%.

If the XT fits you / it means you probably need to stay with a gun that has a parallel comb ( comb parallel to the rib ) - and probably an adj comb insert ( like the Citori XS Skeet, or Citori XS Special). Most of the guns that Browning and others market for "sporting" have a lot of drop at the comb and the heel ( and they don't fit me at all ).

Tags
browning