The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Mello2u

Looking for input for a rust prevention product for carry pistol

I did a search and did not find a thread which considered the available products for rust prevention for a concealed carry handgun.

I have used Rusteprufe and found it works well on storing guns.
I have also tried Rust Guardit by Kleen Bore. It works but it is sticky when applied. I'm unsure whether this stickiness would effect the functioning of a slide if Rust Guardit got into the space that must be lubricated where the slide and frame rub.
I have just discovered Weapon Shield. I'm trying it out to see how it works for me. Seems to be a great lubricant.

I have yet to find something that works to stop rust when the blued steel is in contact with human sweat for hours. I have doubts that there is such a product.

My real solution to rust caused by sweat is to replace my blue steel pistol with a stainless steel Dan Wesson CBOB. Although stainless steel is only relatively stainless; it should do much better against rust.

So, what is the collective wisdom on the members here as to the best product to prevent rust on a carry handgun.
It must not be detrimental to the reliable functioning of the handgun.
It must not be toxic to humans.
It must not stain clothes.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 14, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
johnbt

Bowling Alley paste wax or the wax the British Museum developed whose name escapes at the moment. Doo-dee-doo-dee---got it; Renaissance Wax.

I've also used Birchwood-Casey's Sheath that is now called. Dang, here we go again... Barricade.

I've also used a light wipe down with RIG Grease on a RIG-RAG.

I need a beer, I've been on the road since 7:30.

John
Old September 14, 2009, 04:44 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

Boeshield T-9 is some wicked stuff, kept rust off my outboard when I lived in Bradenton, Fl and kept the boat in a saltwater berth.

This wasn't a concealed carry outboard; so I'll leave it to you to research clothing staining potential. It works wonders in a salt water environment for keeping away rust.
Old September 14, 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
greensteelforge

Rennaissance Wax is a hard finish, and self strips every time you reapply. It is petroleum based, so it repels the same stuff oil does. I've never used another product that was as reliable under use. You'll have to look for it a bit. I get it from a cabinet maker's supply shop, since I've never found it in a gun store. It was developed as a museum conservators wax for the british royal collections.
Old September 14, 2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Mello2u

Thanks. These products look good. I'll try them out.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 15, 2009, 06:09 PM   #6
rgates

Before Weapon Shield I would use a silicon cloth on the outside finish of my blued carry piece. Within a couple of hours of carrying in a leather holster the finish would look blotchy. Then I also started using WS on the finish instead of just the insides. Rub it all over and then wipe it back off with cotton cloth. It's dry but the protection is obviously still there.
I last used Weapon Shield on my carry pistol about 4 months ago and have carried it about 2 dozen times since. Half of those times I wore it all day and it still looks spotless. I usually give it a quick wipe with a dry cotton cloth before putting it back in the safe.
I'm a believer in Weapon Shield. Everything runs smoother, cleans easier and looks better.
Old September 15, 2009, 06:34 PM   #7
RNB65

Eezox.

Also, maybe you should look for a different holster that prevents the metal from being in contact with sweat. Some holster makers make holsters with moisture barriers in the leather.

Last edited by RNB65; September 15, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old September 17, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Bill DeShivs

Renaissance Wax is meant for things that won't be handled. It wears off quickly. I have had much better luck with neutral shoe polish or plain paste wax. Those are a lot cheaper, too.
ANY oil will prevent rust as long as the oil film stays intact. Finding one that stays intact during carrying and handling is more problematic. I have heard that Marine Tuff Glide cloths work well.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:19 PM   #9
ZEBRARANGER

Eezox, it goes on wet and dries to the touch, perfect for carry weapons. I've used it for a couple of years with no issues.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:37 PM   #10
obxned

I use a silicone rag and silicone spray, and have no rust problems in an area with lots of sweaty weather, high humidity, and salt water or swamp every way you turn.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old September 18, 2009, 06:34 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Eezox gets my vote. This is my primary corrosion preventative and lubricant. I haven't seen anything out there that outperforms it.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 20, 2009, 07:04 PM   #12
Mello2u

I went to the Eezox website. There it lists: "Hazardous Decomposition or Byproducts: Hydrogen Chloride" That's hydrocloric acid if there is any water around for it to combine with.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 20, 2009, 10:22 PM   #13
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
I went to the Eezox website. There it lists: "Hazardous Decomposition or Byproducts: Hydrogen Chloride" That's hydrocloric acid if there is any water around for it to combine with.
That's funny. I've seen water get mixed with Eezox and didn't witness this effect. I have done some non-scientific experimenting on a smaller scale to see for myself it's performance on corrosion protection and I get the same results as most: Best in protection, hands down.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting