The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
Field

9mm Primers??

which specific brands are used for loading 9mm? ive been having some problems getting ahold of primers. how exactly are they labeled?
Old July 13, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Farmland

They would be small pistol primers, each mfg has their own brand ID name, but each box should say Small Pistol Primer.

For example Winchester would be WSP Small Regular Pistol
Old July 13, 2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Steviewonder1

9MM Primers

Small pistol, Federal 100 primers will work well. Primers are in short supply right now. Any Small Pistol will work, just don't go for Small Pistol Magnum or Small Rifle. You also need good loading data from one of the loading books.
Old July 13, 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Field

this is probably stupid to ask but will cci Magnum 550 small pistol primers work for loading 9mm?
Old July 13, 2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Field

oh so magnum primers would not work...?
Old July 13, 2009, 03:08 PM   #6
Dragon55

No magnum primers will not work... and... Man with a lot of respect from a reloader of only 7 months you seriously need to do some reading on reloading.
Old July 13, 2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Field

gosh its just it seems like 9mm primers are just as hard to get ahold of as good 9mm ammo, kind of defeats the purpose
Old July 13, 2009, 05:46 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

lesseenow

I use numerous brands of Small Rifle (non-magnum) primers for 9x19.
I use numerous brands of Small Pistol primers, to include CCI500, Federal 100, and WSP, in 9x19.

For certain specific loads I use Small Pistol Magnum primers, including CCI550, EXCEPT WINCHESTER, in 9x19.
Safely.

I do the same for 9x21.

(Accurate says no Magnum primers under AA9.)

I NEVER use Winchester Small Pistol Magnum primers in ANY load unless specified by data (they can increase pressure up to 5,000PSI; tested).
Old July 13, 2009, 05:48 PM   #9
angus6

magnum primers will work just fine , most people will back loads down a tiny bit to start, here's a little test 1 guy ran http://tinyurl.com/lho6jq theres more info out there you've just got to search a bit

WESHOOT2 I've been kicking around also just going to small rifle for everything
Old July 13, 2009, 06:15 PM   #10
hodaka

I have often used small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers in my auto's. I did learn that my H&K P7 will not reliably ignite CCI 41's although my Glock will. As soon as I run out of the small pistol primers I am using now (CCI 500's) I plan to switch to Wolf small rifle, provided the P7 likes them. I mostly use Unique and 231.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Field

thanks guys you are really helpful.

one thing this makes me wonder though is...what makes all of these primers different?
Old July 13, 2009, 08:13 PM   #12
wvshooter

To say that primers are hard to find is a huge understatement. I found 1k at Gander Mtn. about eight weeks ago and consider it almost a miracle. The sales guy said they had come in the night before. I happened to be at the store when the door opened at 9am the next day and got the last box. They were small pistol match primers for $40 but I felt very blessed to get them. Obviously the boxes not snapped up by employees are bought immediately by very lucky customers. This situation is of course temporary, the same shortages have happened before, but I was told today by an employee who had been to a meeting with suppliers that the suppliers said it will be one year before there are normal supplies on the shelves. He said some primer supply is being diverted to increased loaded ammo production.

Back to primer selection, powder, etc, etc. It's very important to get a couple reloading manuals and follow the recommendations for safe reloading. Just get the manuals and be careful.
Old July 13, 2009, 08:23 PM   #13
kyle663

magnum primers fire hotter than standard primers. as for rifle , i havent loaded enough rifle to say much about that.
Old July 14, 2009, 06:19 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

differences

-Physical dimensions;

-Material used for the 'outside';

-Material used for the 'igniter';

-Material used for the other parts inside....

Like asking "What is different about auto brands?"; they are different.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:16 AM   #15
dahermit

"How are rifle primers different than pistol primers?"

Quote:
-Physical dimensions;
Outside dimension is the same. Primer cup may be thicker or harder.

Quote:
-Material used for the 'outside';
Not so, "outside" of primer cup is brass in both.
Quote:
-Material used for the 'igniter';
Lead Styphenate is used in both. In addition primer compound has different over all chemical composition, allowing a hotter, longer burning result on firing in rifle primers.

Quote:
-Material used for the other parts inside....
"other parts", i.e., is anvil, made from brass.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:37 AM   #16
WESHOOT2

mmmm, not so fast....

Time spent with a ten-thou mike show measurable differences in dimensions.

Think all manufacturers use the same cup alloy?
Or anvil alloy?
And what does Federal, and Winchester/Wolf/Remington/CCI use for compound?

I stand uncorrected.
Old July 14, 2009, 10:59 AM   #17
cerberus65

Quote:
you seriously need to do some reading on reloading
I probably would have phrased it a little differently but I feel compelled to second that assertion. Do you have a reloading manual yet? Your primer question and many others are answered in any decent manual. I started reloading a year ago and I'm up to 3 manuals and I've read the howto section of each one. Reloading is a potentially dangerous hobby and starting slow seems like a great idea. And by that I mean several things. First, you should read the howto info in a reloading manual before doing anything else. Second, it's a good idea to use the exact components shown in your load data (hard these days with lack of availability, I know). Then, later on, when you've built up more knowledge and confidence you could start to substitute. I don't pretend to understand all the implications yet of switching some components so I'm still very wary of that.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm hacking on you. I just don't want to see you show up in some future thread with pics of a blown up gun (or worse, bloody fingers ). I really want to keep all my own fingers and I wish the same for all my TFL friends.
Old July 14, 2009, 11:39 AM   #18
GeauxTide

+1 Kerb

Over a hundred years of science developed in primer manufacturing says I'm going to follow the labeled recommendations.
Old July 18, 2009, 08:57 AM   #19
dahermit

Quote:
Time spent with a ten-thou mike show measurable differences in dimensions.
a .0001 or .0002 difference in dimensions of the primer cup is not significant. If there were a significant difference, otherwise, cast lead bullet shooters could not use pistol primers in rifle cases...they would not seat correctly, or would be loose.

Quote:
Think all manufacturers use the same cup alloy?
Or anvil alloy?
There are just two general types of brass. Cartridge brass and Marine brass. All manufactures of primers use cartridge brass...the exact alloy of cartridge brass is not significant. The "material" in all cases is brass.

Quote:
And what does Federal, and Winchester/Wolf/Remington/CCI use for compound?
All modern primers contain Lead Styphenate. Some formulate their compounds to be "standard". Some formulate thier compound to be "normal".

Quote:
I stand uncorrected.
Of course you do.

Last edited by dahermit; July 18, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old July 18, 2009, 09:49 AM   #20
Uncle Billy

I followed a suggestion on CCI's website that said it was okay to use small pistol primers (which are available locally) instead of small rifle primers (which are not) in .22 Hornet handloads. I tried that, using Accurate 1680 (only powder I could get) and Nosler jacketed bullets, and it worked just fine- one ragged hole for 3 shots at 100 yds from my Ruger 77/22, no signs of overpressure or primer structural distortion or failure.

That's specific to .22 Hornet and I wouldn't have tried it without CCI saying it was okay. Here's where that suggestion came from, on CCI's website. There's a lot of good info here on primers::

CCI "Tech Tips"

I'll NEVER substitute components on my own or on anyone else's amateur advice, even if it means the gun stays in the rack until stuff becomes available again. It's just not that important to me to risk the gun and/or my ability to see and use my hands just to do my hobby.

Last edited by Uncle Billy; July 18, 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: clarification
Old July 20, 2009, 07:55 PM   #21
Smogdude

I'm only 5-6 months into reloading and have used small pistol magnum primers with starting charges, or slightly reduced, for .40s&w, however when I stepped the charge up a few tenths of a grain, I began to get flattened primer cups and 5 out of 50 cases split at the neck, one all the way down the case.

That was enough for me to forget about using magnum primers in place of standard. It can be done but I wouldn't do it again personally. It's extra wear on your gun also.
Old July 21, 2009, 12:54 AM   #22
Jim243

Field - The answer to your question is NO.

9 mm is a small case and can develop extreem high pressure that will injure your gun or you.

The smaller the case, the more carefull you have to be. No room for error (pun intended)
Old July 21, 2009, 01:28 PM   #23
NWPilgrim

Field,

If you have been reloading for even a bit then you have probably degraded yourself by scrounging for brass at the range. Now is the time to throw off the shackles of any remaining dignity and scrounge for primers from friends and relatives. "Please buddy, can you spare a sleeve of primers?"

Wideners seems to have the most one-day supplies of Wolf primers. Also, check out-of-the-way gun shops and general merchandise shops. One guy I know found ammo, powder and primers at a small town drug store in northern California. I found some at a fisherman's sporting goods store.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 22, 2009, 12:26 PM   #24
Hardcase

I second NWPilgrim's advice - one of our local shops that is primarily devoted to reloading always has primers. Sometimes they're a little spendy - it all depends on what he has to pay to get them. Last time I was in, it cost $44 for 1000 Winchester WSPs. I bought a hundred Federal small pistol magnums a couple of days ago for $6.00.

Everybody shops at the big stores, so they're always out. But the little guy has a lot more flexibility in choosing suppliers. You can also get some pretty good advice from them, too.
Old July 22, 2009, 01:07 PM   #25
BigJimP

In my area - many of the gun shops are able to get CCI primers for small and large pistol both - and they're retailing for about $ 35 - $ 40 per thousand.

You're asking some real basic stuff on primers / you really need to spend some time with a "mentor" and / or reading some reloading manuals.