The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2009, 11:50 AM   #26
GeauxTide

Yes, he's an idiot.
Old July 14, 2009, 12:17 PM   #27
CraigC

Quote:
I can't (and don't) know this for a fact, but I'd bet the price of a good cup of coffee that, today, .38 Special brass and .357 brass are identical in all dimensional respects except for length -- if, for no other reason, that it would be too expensive to have two sets of machines to produce what a single machine could produce acceptably.
I bet you're right!

Quote:
Yes, he's an idiot.
Why would someone be an idiot for stating something that's 100% true???
Old July 14, 2009, 12:20 PM   #28
Doodlebugger45

Hmmm... I never thought about trying to seat the bullets longer when I was doing my little experiment. As I said, I basically stopped because the accuracy was deteriorating, not because I noticed any obvious pressure signs. I speculated that the inaccuracy came because my revolver was chambered for 357 length cartridges and at higher pressures, that jump to the cylinder throat was too much in the 38 length.

That could be an interesting experiment to do though. But I doubt if I will ever do it. Now I have plenty of 357 brass, so I don't see the point in trying it. Except some of us get bored and just have to try things.
Old July 14, 2009, 06:28 PM   #29
salvadore

don't want to offend anyone, this is a great forum, however, I have never seen so many politically correct nancy pants, oh my, let's not act like we are all adults in here yadayayada in all my life.
Old July 14, 2009, 08:34 PM   #30
Shane Tuttle
Staff

A gentle reminder: Let's continue with attacking statements, but not the person. It's fine to be concerned with safety regarding loads. However, I suggest looking at the issue from both sides of the coin so one can see where the other is coming from...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 15, 2009, 10:08 AM   #31
Dannyl

Loading 38 spc cases for 0.357 Magnum

Hi,
I have a S&W 586 which I use for pin shooting, IDPA and metallic Silouhette.
At one stage many yeasrs ago I received (free) a large batch of 38 Special cases and had the same dilema you are facing.

My answer is:
I load the 38 cases with a load that is listed as hot ( but within recommended limits) for a 38, but since I shoot them from a good quality 0.357 there is no problem with that. ( I do not own a 38 so there is no issue with that, but since I keep the loads suitable for this caliber, this would not cause a problem if I had to shoot them from a 0.38). I use these only for IDPA and when practicing for pin-shooting. I do not load them with the same load as I do with 0.357 cases, as the shortter case would lead to higher pressures, and I want my gun (and hands, eyes etc) to last me for a long time.

When I prepare ammo for metal silouhette and pin shooting, I load only with 0.357 Mag cases.

So my answer is yes, you can, but only as long as you do your part not to exceed pressure limits.
Brgds,
Danny
Old July 25, 2009, 06:06 PM   #32
CraigC

Thought I'd bring back this thread with the note that as recent as the current issue of American Handgunner, John Taffin talks about using the classic .38-44 load (13.5gr 2400) in several .357's due to cylinder length issues. Some cylinders are simply not long enough for the 173gr Keith bullet seated in the crimp groove in .357 brass. Guns in question were a S&W M27 and Ruger Old Model Blackhawk.
Old July 25, 2009, 09:19 PM   #33
Blue

38/357 loads

Do yourself and others a real favor - stick with the published loads in your manuals.

Accuracy is in the eye of the beholder.