The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
MDS

Wilson case trimmer

Any opinions on The Wilson case trimmer? I'm researching equipment.
Old April 5, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
BigJakeJ1s

Every once in a while you see a piece of equipment so simple, yet so well designed, you wonder, "why didn't I think of that". The Wilson trimmer is an excellent example. After examining the way it is built, accuracy is almost fool-proof. It is simple to use, relatively cheap (especially compared to other lathe type trimmers), robust, and accurate. The way it holds the case ensures the case is held consistently square to the cutter. No pilots, no collets, just a simple cylinder with a taper bore to match the body taper of the cartridge. The cylinder sets on two rails, which extend to support both the "tail stock" (length adjustment end) and the "head stock" (cutter bearing) which are identical OD cylinders. Those two rails are set in parallel v grooves cut in the rectangular base that holds everything in place.

No collets, pilots, etc. needed, just a case holder (the same holder works across an entire family of the same base cartridge size). Tap the brass into the holder, trim, then tap it back out. Nothing could be simpler or more consistently accurate.

Wilson sells ID deburring tools, primer pocket reamers and inside neck reamers that all work with the same setup, they just replace the cutter. Sinclair sells a very nice micrometer adjustment screw (for setting trim length), as well as an elevated base, clamp, and a carbide cutter with a fancy handle. All are nice to have, but expensive and not really necessary. If you do not have a small vise on your reloading bench (then get one, they're handy for a lot of other things), you will need a block of wood or something to mount the trimmer on that elevates it enough to clear the handle swing above the bench top. Some users just use it on the edge of the bench to allow the handle to swing clear.

All in all, a big thumbs up for the Wilson trimmer!

Andy
Old April 5, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
MDS

Thank you, A very thourough review.
Old April 6, 2009, 01:54 AM   #4
hardhit

i had been thinking about the same trimmer for a while but now im going to get one.
Is Sinclair the best place to shop for it price wise.
Old April 6, 2009, 07:55 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

Sinclair and Midway both carry the trimmer and the Wilson-made accessories. Of course, only Sinclair carries their own custom accessories.

Oh, yeah, there is also power adapter (hex drive) to use a drill motor or cordless drill/screwdriver with it.

Andy
Old April 6, 2009, 09:34 PM   #6
bigfoot

this gives an idea how it works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saauqOQ2WlA
Old April 6, 2009, 10:00 PM   #7
hardhit

Thanks for the info BigJakeJ1s and for the link bigfoot I think I am going get the mounting plate an case holder with the trimmer though.
Old April 7, 2009, 01:13 PM   #8
barryhud

I attempted to order the Wilson trimmer and case holders from Midway today. They have a backorder in both 204 and 308 caseholders, so I'll wait for more stock. I already have some items in the shopping cart that can wait awhile.