The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 26, 2006, 03:37 PM   #1
ShotGun_Newbie

Can you make a Stockless shotgun?

Hello, this is my first post on these forums, but can you make a stockless shotgun, Or is it Illegal?
Old February 26, 2006, 03:46 PM   #2
L-2

deleted

Last edited by L-2; February 26, 2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old February 26, 2006, 03:46 PM   #3
Hello123

A pistol gripped shotgun is legal, but unless your trying to be gangsta or old west and hide it underneath a trench coat, it makes it less usable. The barrel must be over 18 inches in length measured from the bolt face to the end of the barrel.
Old February 26, 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
ShotGun_Newbie

Can I make one from a Remington 1100 Sport 28GA, 28 Inch?
Pic--> http://www.impactguns.com/store/medi...1100_sport.jpg
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
..//(")_(")....|__\<---This Bunny mean's Bussiness!!
.O
-"Those who would sacrifice a little Liberty for more Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Old February 26, 2006, 03:54 PM   #5
ShotGun_Newbie

On the pic I showed you would it still be legal, If I only removed the stock? Or would it be too short?
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
.O
-"Those who would sacrifice a little Liberty for more Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
Old February 26, 2006, 04:13 PM   #6
L-2

Deleted

Last edited by L-2; February 26, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old February 26, 2006, 04:13 PM   #7
ShotGun_Newbie

So, how am I to go about in making a Stockless Shotgun out of the Remington 1100 Sport 28GA, 28 Inch?
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
.O
Old February 26, 2006, 04:19 PM   #8
ShotGun_Newbie

Sice this gun isnt a semi automatic shot gun can I make one out of this?
http://www.impactguns.com/store/mossberg_500_410.html
Can I make it by just simply cutting off the stock?
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
.O

Last edited by ShotGun_Newbie; February 26, 2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old February 26, 2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Ruger4570

Have you ever shot a pistol gripped shotgun??Other than looking cool, they are almost useless for anything, even home defense. The recoil throws them all over the place and a second shot is a whole lot slower that a full stocked shotgun. If someone even GAVE me a pistol gripped shotgun for defense, the first thing I would do is find a new full length stock for it so it was manageable. If I had to defend myself in a real life situation, I sure don't want some virtually usless movie script gun. In movies, bullets make sparks, shotguns blow cars over and make them explode and Arnold never misses even when up against 5 bad guys with full auto's that can't spray him down with their guns. In REAl life, the bad guy may not miss, why would you want to handicap yourself with a Rambo gun? If these were so good, why doesn't the military and police departments issue them.
Old February 26, 2006, 05:46 PM   #10
ShotGun_Newbie

Because I am the terminater duhhh...lol j/p. Well Are they good at close quarters? I usually shoot stuff with a full stock, and I don't like them very much.
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
.O
Old February 26, 2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Ruger4570

You seem convinced you have the right answers, My advice at this point is to spend your money and find out for yourself. Just don't toss out your regular stock though, you may want it again.
Old February 26, 2006, 06:44 PM   #12
glockopop

If you must get a pistol gripped shotgun, probably the cheapest way to do it is to buy a used Mossberg 500, although any pump will do these are generally the cheapest, and get a Mossberg pistol grip kit. They run about 20 bucks. You can also get an 18" barrel for a 500 for about 75-85 bucks. That will allow you to find out for yourself and waste the least possible amount of money.
Old February 26, 2006, 06:54 PM   #13
ShotGun_Newbie

Thank's glockopop, this is only if someone breaks into my house. I don't really like shooting shotguns with stocks, because I find it harder to aim for some reason, I dunno maybe personal preferance.
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
.O
Old February 27, 2006, 01:06 AM   #14
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

* * <Shaking head, smiling ruefully> * *

There's some very good advice above concerning the difficulty of shooting a buttstockless scattergun. There are additional considerations, too, especially for the newcomer to the shotgun game.

- - You mention indoor use. Youi might want to measure the furtherest distance available to you. Twenty feet or so? Are you aware that most shotguns place their shot charge in only a five or six inch circle at that range? You still have to aim, especially if you're using only a .410 bore or a 28 gauge.

- - When most people talk about cutting down a shotgun, they're also concerned about the barrel length. There are TWO considerations here: Barrel length and overall length. By federal law, the barrel must be AT LEAST eighteen (18) inches in length. Most people cut 'em at 18 and a quarter or 18-1/2, just to make sure there are no errors in measurement. In addition, also by federal law, the OVERALL length of the shotgun must be at least 26 inches. Again, 26-1/2 is better, just in case.

Most pump guns have a long enough action so that an 18-1/4" barrel, even with the stock cut off, will give a legal OA length. Some single-shot and double barrel guns will NOT make legal length.

Take care
Johnny
Old February 27, 2006, 11:55 AM   #15
FirstFreedom

First off, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, you can just lop off the stock to turn it into one, which is legal in the US without a special permit, unlike if doing the same to a rifle, as long as the overall length is 26", as mentioned. Or you can easily buy aftermarket pistol grips for common brands like remington, mossberg, & winchester.

2. Above doesn't matter whether it's semi-auto or pump.

Now, to go beyond answering your question.

3. As mentioned, doing so makes the shotgun less useful for most purposes, including home defense.

4. If you're gonna do it (and thus fire with no shoulder stock), I would definitely advise not doing it to anything over a 20 ga, as the recoil would become brutal. And I wouldn't shoot 3" 20 ga shells, only 2.75".

5. Of course, as mentioned, keep the bbl length 18.1" or longer.

6. If you do just lop off the stock, and form a pistol grip of sorts from the remaining wood via dremel, etc. - 2 issues: (a) it won't be as vertical as an aftermarket stock, which will make it harder to control under recoil, and (b) you've just lowered the market value of your sporting shotgun, until such time as you buy a matching replacement full wood stock, so therefore cheaper in the long run to pick up a crappy or not-so-crappy used shotgun at a gunshow or whathaveyou, with or without an existing stock, or with plastic furniture.
Old February 27, 2006, 07:46 PM   #16
makugooh

Here's a link http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/P...s/COPstock.htm.

Check the Knoxx Cop Stock. That way you can have it both ways.
Old February 27, 2006, 08:45 PM   #17
ShotGun_Newbie

Thats what i was plannin on buying.
................| |_
................|[]|
.....(\__/)...| |]
..._(='.'=)=O| \
.O
Old March 1, 2006, 10:15 AM   #18
walter in florida

Short shot gun

I recall somewhere that over all leght is also needs to be considered. If you cut the barrel down to 18" (I would cut it to 18 1/2" to be on the safe side) and you took the stock off and used a hand grip, you may get a visit from the BATF, because it over too short.
Old March 1, 2006, 05:59 PM   #19
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Good mornin', Walter

You are absolutely correct in what you recall from somewhere. You might take a look at post #15 in this thread and see if it looks familiar . . . .

Best,
Johnny
Old March 2, 2006, 10:50 AM   #20
walter in florida

Stockless shotgun

Sorry Johnny, my mistake, need to check post better.
Old March 3, 2006, 02:59 AM   #21
guest66

Can you make a pistol grip shotgun? Yes.

Do you want to make a pistol grip shotgun with only the rear grip? NO. Unless you're a fan of dental bills.

If you really want to go this route there's only one feasible way of doing it.
Go buy a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 (Think security models NOT sport models here) and get a grip kit from a company called Tac-Star. They'll have rear AND forend grips. These are the only two kinds of shotguns they make them for and it's usually for 12 gauge.

I used a Mossy 500 when I did one. You can shoot these but aiming is slower because you have to hold the thing like you were shooting a bow. Your left arm has to be extended with elbow LOCKED unless recoil to the chops sounds amusing to you. I've shot 3 inch, buckshot and slugs through it but locking that arm is a MUST!

The only feasible way of hip shooting one with any accuracy whatsoever would be to add a laser sight. If you're familiar with an old Rutger Hauer movie from the 80's called, Wanted: Dead or Alive, this is the kind of set-up he had. Although his was shorter than you could get away with legally.

So yeah, all those things implemented, it can be done.
Would it be practical? That's for you to decide.
Old March 3, 2006, 07:21 AM   #22
Lee Lapin

Almost all semiauto shotgun designs have a bolt return spring that extends into the buttstock past the pistol grip. Make sure of what you're doing before you take a hacksaw to one...

lpl/nc (sawed-off 28ga. 1100???)
Old March 3, 2006, 03:59 PM   #23
delzo

As advised before,,,, put a laser on your shotty if you go to a pistol grip only. I have an acquaintance that thought he could hold a pistol grip 870 up high enough to sight down the barrel and hit the target.

The short version of a long drawn out series of procedures was this; he retired after they failed to fix his mouth and jaw so he could return to duty.
Old March 8, 2006, 03:45 PM   #24
Csspecs

If you are just going for the "Look" I have seen many of the flip up stocks that would allow you to do what you want yet would keep the shotgun somewhat usable. Try shooting half a box of target loads without using the stock(hip shooting) see how your wrists like it, most people seem to stop shooting like this after about five shots, maybe you will have better luck.
Old March 8, 2006, 05:17 PM   #25
DBOUNCE1

good luck glad it's you and not me