The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 8, 2006, 02:34 PM   #1
YamikidR1

Trigger

What would be a nice trigger to put on my Remington 700... it is a 30-06 hunting rifle? Looking for your advice.
Thanks
Old January 8, 2006, 03:15 PM   #2
k in AR

Remington is known for some of the better production (adjustable) triggers right out of the box. For hunting I sure wouldn't change it (unless I had a really bad one, but then I would call Remington!)

If I did upgrade I would go with a Timney. They are affordable, very adjustable, and easy to install.
Old January 8, 2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

Timney to 1.5lbs after that you need a Jewell.
Old January 8, 2006, 06:51 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

trigger

Dear Shooter:
I do not want to offend another smith, but I would not, under any circumstances go below 4# on ANY hunting trigger!
Learn how to correctly pull a 4# trigger and you'll be fine.
These light triggers are acciddents waiting to happen in the field!

I have a 416 Taylor, a 9.3X62 - both african calibers and I've left the Mauser two-stage triggers on them. When you hunt and are ready to shoot you're so pumped up that a very light trigger can be set off accidentally.
Many people want a light trigger to avoid flinching ; if that's the case go with a lighter caliber or a heavier rifle.
Any shooter, any shooter - who has learned basic guncraft can easilly hunt with a 4# trigger. I'm retained by a law firm involving a trigger on a Browning "lightening rifle" as an expert witness. I was able to show them how a trigger so adjusted very light can, even with the safety on, discharge the rifle when the trigger is touched!
Battle rifles (hunting rifles for the most dangerous game on earth) virtually all have two stage triggers - and for the very reason stated. Hunting game is no different. My grandson has a 338 Remington Ultra-mag with a 2 oz. trigger you just breath on - it's only there to be a big deal! I wouldn't take the rifle to the back door - let alone hunting - it's already gone off once before he had a good sighting on the targer causing a wounded animal!
Harry B.
Old January 8, 2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Lycanthrope

A good trigger like the Jewell at 1.5lbs is safer than a standard Remington set at 3lbs as the Remington only has the trigger (and not a sear) block making it much more prone to drop firing. It's design, not pull weight. After that, it's user error. I have a number of triggers on pistols under 3lbs and my hunting rifle sports a 14oz Jewell. I shoot several thousand a year and know I can't wear heavy gloves with these guns. It does not, however, make them unsafe. Don't blame the weapon.......

Battle rifles can be argued, but most assault rifles these days are all single stage.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:37 PM   #6
hIPSHOT33

I agree with Herry Bonar. Learn to shoot a 4 pound trigger . Much safer and not hard to learn . The most importent thing about a trigger is that it breaks clean .( no creep ) . I will not take a trigger below 3 pounds , no matter how much the customer wants it . there are lots of other Smiths around that will do it ,but not me .
Old January 9, 2006, 11:17 AM   #7
Foxman

I'm with Harry on this. The latest Rem triggers are not like those of a few years ago, although still adjustable the quality is not there any more. I have just changed the trigger on a my .17 for this reason ( post on Shilen trigger) and I did not want a Jewell as they do suffer if dirt gets in like with hunting ( I have them as well) The Shilen was very well made and is ok at 2 1/4 lb on that rifle, for hunting I personally use 3 1/2lb but would not go less. If you are not familiar with trigger fitting and setting, by all means get a Shilen or Timmney ( Timmney are in short supply for some reason) but get a smith to fit and set it for you. I see people on here whimping about spending $20 -40 to get it done by a smith, what price you buddy or families lives / good health? it only takes one accidental discharge. I have had two people over the years who thought that way, one let his rifle off in my vehicle ( lucky window was open) 1. it shouldn't have been loaded, 2. it had the safety on, 3. it had been "adjusted by him. The other did it in a guides 4x4 in Canada and had to walk the ten miles back to camp but other wise same points as the other guy. Neither of these guys now comes anywhere near me with any gun, ever, period.
Old January 9, 2006, 01:47 PM   #8
dale taylor

Listen to Mr. Bonnar. I have many hunting rifles. Have a 270 with two stage ??Jaeger trigger I use in tree stands. 2nd stage is to light for carry. [email protected]
Old January 9, 2006, 02:02 PM   #9
Fremmer

The more I miss, the more I realize that it wouldn't matter (at least not much) how light the trigger was set. Wobble, lack of patience/hurry-up shot, poor aiming (failing to pick a spot certain), and poor follow-through (I can't really describe this, sorry) are far more of a problem -- at least for me -- than a trigger with a 3.5 pound pull rather than a 2 pound pull.

But that's just me; it seems like I'm learning the hard way about missing deer (can ya tell I had a bad day of shooting on Saturday).