The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 12, 2014, 07:59 PM   #1
TheFlip

SR-4759 for 45 ACP?

I'm completely new to handloading. I wanted to be was well versed as I could be before actually getting started. I've done a lot of reading and equipment purchasing and now I'm getting ready to work up my first load.

I cast 375 round nose 230gr hard cast bullets. I have about 2000 once fired .45 ACP cartridges, mostly Winchester, PMC, Federal and Remington, with a handful each of pretty much every other brass manufacturer you can think of.

I have some Federal match-grade primers in large and small pistol.

Time to buy the powder: To the local gun store, I bring a list of load data from Lyman's 49th edition. Pickings are slim but he does find one listed in stock.

SR-4756. Sounds good, I also pick up some Varget for my 7.62N I have planned for later. Get home and look closely at the bottle.

SR-4759 which isn't covered in the handbook for .45 ACP. I've looked all over the internet, and can't find any info on this powder as it relates to .45 ACP.

IMR lists it as a handgun powder but says it: " really shines as a reduced load propellant for rifle cartridges." (which is a saving grace because failing this, I can use it for cast bullets in 7.62N and 30-30).

So, in closing, is it safe to load SR-4759 in .45 ACP? And if so, where can I get the data for those loads?
Old July 12, 2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Hammerhead

I've never seen any data for SR-4759 in .45 acp.
It's way too slow and too bulky.

SR-4759 (the maroon can) is a terrific powder for reduced rifle loads. It can be used in the .45 Colt with heavy bullets, that's about the only handgun load I can think of.

SR-4756 (the green can) should be usable for .45acp, it's very close to Unique in burn rate. I like it a lot in .357, 9mm and .38 Super, but I've never tried it in .45 acp.
Old July 12, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Hammerhead

Hodgdon has data for 4756 in the .45 auto;
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol
Old July 12, 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
TheFlip

Yeah, SR-4756 is definitely the one I'm looking for among others. You can bet I gave myself a smack upside the head for not eyeballing that can at the store. I guess if they're out of 45 powder, .308 gets bumped up in the rotation.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Tags
.45 acp , handloads , sr-4759