The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2013, 07:21 PM   #51
1hogfan83

I went back the following Sunday and ran federal and Winchester white box with about 10 PDX1. Same results. They all ran fine in my HK. Waiting to hear back from Smith.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 2, 2013, 07:23 PM   #52
MLeake

Thanks for the clarification; hope S&W fix the issue for you. Percentages are in your favor, based on the experiences friends and I have had with S&W CS.

Good luck.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:01 PM   #53
SmithkoWitz

CCW Pistol

First time I looked at a Keltec I said: reminds me of the toys I used to play with back in the mid 60's. Kind of on the rough side, so I have not ever purchased one. The only low end pistol I've purchased is an RIA 1911 Officer model ($500 New). Certainly not a Springfield, Kimber or S&W 1911, but it works every time. Now and then the slide doesn't lock back after the last shot, but no FTF's or FTE's with all stock internals.

On to a new CCW pistol. One of my first was a Sig P232 (issues), tried an S&W Bodyguard 380 (returned, laser issues repeatedly), Ruger LCP 380 (flawless but snappy without a Hogue Handall Jr on it), Kahr K9 & MK40, Sig P290 (issues), Springfield EMP40 and S&W M&P Shield 40.

I like all metal guns the best. Both my Kahrs are very accurate, shoot everything I feed them and I trust my life to them. Springfield EMP 9 I did not like as much as I liked the 40. The P232 is a very comfortable gun, but it has had recurring failure to fire episodes since day one. It is not the ammo. Sig P290, same issue as the P232. Since day one it does not always fire. Poor ergonomics in my opinion. My hands are not huge, and the mags always hang up on my hand when I go to eject them. The 6 round mag has loading issues and will not seat in the well and allow you to rack the slide when it has 6 rounds in it (if you can get 6 into it). It's going back to Sig, but haven't had a chance to contact them yet. Recently acquired the Shield in 40. I actually bought the Sig P290 because I thought I would never see a Shield 40, had been waiting since April 2012, I was number two on the list! Received a call just a week ago that it was in. In the first mag of ammo I had an 1 FTF and 1 FTE, and not one issue after that. I think it was operator error, most likely limp wrist. Tightened my grip a little more and it proved to be everything I had hoped. Most importantly, it worked flawlessly and I was impressed with the accuracy, especially being the first time I shot a Shield in any caliber. With the extended 7 round mag it fits my whole hand comfortably. I find the Shield more comfortable than the P290 as far as how it feels in the hand, controls, grip, trigger; being a 40, the Shield is snappier, but nothing bothersome in my opinion. It will become a permanent part of ccw collection. Still Sour over the Sigs and they are staring out at the pasture, if Sig cannot make them flawless.
Old February 3, 2013, 12:35 PM   #54
SmithkoWitz

Everyone makes a lemon

I'm a big fan of S&W since I began shooting. M&P 9 Full Size was my first semi-auto. The only flaw I've experienced with it, is an occasional slide stutter upon return. It has happened only a couple handfuls of times in 4 years and never resulted in any firing, feeding or ejection issues. M&P 9C & 40C both have been totally reliable/flawless and more accurate than I had expected. I load mixed brand and types of ammo in mags, to try and create feed or eject issues and it hasn't happened. I actually like shooting the 40 better than the 9's. When I began shooting people said stay away from the 40S&W, go 9mm or 45acp. So I listened to them. My favorite carry caliber is the 40 or 45 and typically it is the Kahr MK40. Now that I have a Shield 40, I will likely carry that when I want a lighter weight gun (about 5oz less than the MK40).

My S&W Lemon was the BG380 w/laser. Sent it in 3x's, but they could not get the laser to actuate from both sides with fingertip pressure as it should. They even replaced the frame and it still only worked on one side properly. The lemon law concept worked, they bought it back. Other than that, the only other issues I've experienced with S&W products are with revolvers. I had two firearms that had poorly pinned front sights. Both were considerably powerful weapons. A model 632 327magnum (first year) and a 460V. Within the first 25 rounds fired, the front sight disappeared! Yep, gone, nowhere to be found. From initial email contact regarding the issue, to received and repaired, I'd say it was roughly 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Neither has had a repeat of the initial issue.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #55
1hogfan83

The guy on the phone with me said they would take care of me. My idea of "care" is a fixed gun and a few extra mags, at least that's what I hope it is. Hope can be a beautiful thing, maybe the best of things.........I'll shut up, sorry.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old February 3, 2013, 05:44 PM   #56
MLeake

I have known owners whose guns have come back with extra magazines, or in one case a Performance Center trigger tuning job. No guarantee you will get either, but odds are you will be satisfied. Again, good luck.
Old February 4, 2013, 04:48 PM   #57
TheNocturnus

Well, I made my choice today. I ended up with the Kahr CW40. The P290 was too small, the G26/27 were too thick and the Beretta Nano did not have the slide lock.

I went with the .40 for one main reason, ammo availability. I can find .40 S&W all day, 9mm is nowhere to be found.

Now just gotta take her to the range.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 4, 2013, 04:50 PM   #58
Tactical Jackalope

Nice, enjoy it man.

I couldn't..I had the CW9.

Way too small for my hands. Sold it to my buddy.

Gotta love that thin CCW though. Let us know how it goes for you!
Old February 4, 2013, 07:00 PM   #59
TheNocturnus

Yeah, I'll post a range report when I get to the range. I have already got 150 rounds of .40 S&W today... see what I mean about availability?
Old February 4, 2013, 07:01 PM   #60
Mike-Mat

Had a problem with the magazine on my PF9. Sent it back to KelTec and it's been a great gun. Most likely the problem is the ammo and not the gun. I always have better luck with my reloads than with factory ammo.

I Never carry a gun that has not been fully tested at the range. You cant trust your life to an unknown commodity. Not only should is work well, but you should be proficient with it.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:08 PM   #61
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNocturnus View Post
Yeah, I'll post a range report when I get to the range. I have already got 150 rounds of .40 S&W today... see what I mean about availability?
Yeah. I see that :| but I'm not fond of .40S&W anymore.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 4, 2013, 07:57 PM   #62
TheNocturnus

I'm not the biggest fan of .40 either but it will do for now. Later down the road I may switch to
a 9mm. I did the math and if I had the money I could have got 1200 rounds of .40 today, thats how much I found. Why can't 45acp, 22lr and 9mm be so easy to find?
Old February 4, 2013, 08:23 PM   #63
Justice06RR

Nocturnus,

I think that really fell on you to be responsible and test every pistol you own and carry for functionality and reliability before you decide to carry it. Carrying a pistol, wheather is an expensive or cheap handgun, needs to be fully tested to your own standards of reliability and comfort before you carry it. Anything else can cost you your life.

Take it as a lesson learned I guess. Anytime I buy a new pistol, whether its a Glock or Taurus, I take it apart, clean/lube it, inspect the parts and mags, and take it to at least one range outing to test its function and reliability.

When I buy Glock's and M&P's, they usually prove to be pretty reliable out of the box. I also had a Taurus 709 and 740 that were also very reliable. Then I had a new PF9 that was problematic out of the box, so I had to test that pistol thoroughly before I carried it (decided to sell it later on anyway).
Old February 5, 2013, 08:48 PM   #64
ET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNocturnus:
Does anyone know if the Glock 27 gen 3 has the same dual recoil spring as the Gen 4 Glock 27?
I'm not sure if it's the same spring as a gen 4, but my gen 3 27 has a dual recoil spring. Hope this helps.

As to how many rounds are sufficient to run through a pistol before relying on it for protection, I guess it really is up to the individual & his gun. I had to run 1000 trouble free rounds through my first gun, a Taurus pt111 Mil Pro, before I was comfortable knowing it would be reliable. I would think 200 would be a minimal amount, but I know of some who only shot 50 through theirs and never thought twice about it. I've run about 500 through my 4 Glocks & 2 M&Ps before adding them to the self defense menu.

...By the way, I was given a Hi-point C-9 some 15 years ago & there aren't enough rounds available to shoot that would give me confidence with that gun.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:42 PM   #65
TheNocturnus

My only complaint for the Kahr CW40 is that it only came with one magazine. I just ordered another one. When I carry, I have to have a spare magazine with it.

Also, i'm going to try to take it to the range tomorrow morning. I start my new job tomorrow afternoon and I plan on using it as my on the job carry piece, so I got to make sure it works right.

If I find out that they have a no weapons at work policy, I will strictly adhere to the rules...
Old February 5, 2013, 11:17 PM   #66
Tactical Jackalope

Good stuff man. Do your thing. Congrats on the job. My work gun is now whatever I want it to be currently a SIG P220.

Old February 5, 2013, 11:54 PM   #67
JimmyR

As much as I avoid the 40's, I think you made the right call for now. Fiding 9mm has been a pain in the rear around here.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:27 AM   #68
9mm

Quote:
My Keltec P32
Keltec, is cheap, their plastic even just feels cheap. The guns metal even looks cheaper. No offence, you can tell by the look and feel, not to mention the low price you pay vs higher end poly guns $400-$600. A guy brought in a P11 today, looked cheap, metal was ugly too, he was having a few magazine problems with this gun. It's no wonder LEO use Beretta's/Sigs/S&W/Glocks and not Keltecs,Taurus, Hi point, Etc..
Old February 7, 2013, 08:04 AM   #69
wstein

I almost bought a keltec 9mm, can't remember the model. The salesman was showing it to me, talking it up. I went to pull the slide back and it wouldn't budge. after me trying 3 or 4 times, the sales took it from me with some smart comment about needing to know how to properly do these thing, he couldn't pull the slide back himself. He put it back in the case as I smirked at him.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old February 7, 2013, 09:01 AM   #70
Tactical Jackalope

I agree with "9mm" on this one. Regardless of what LE and government agencies are told to carry and have to. They still pick among good weapons. If a gun looks and feels cheap to me. I don't even consider it.

Old February 7, 2013, 11:55 AM   #71
TheNocturnus

Well I missed my opportunity to go to the range yesterday.

Looks like my G30 will be my bulky ride along until I can test my Kahr. I will get to the range soon, hopefully next week.

I really wish I had some land to shoot on. I hate having to drive 45 minutes to shoot at the range for 30 minutes. Living in the burbs does have it's downsides.
Old February 7, 2013, 12:00 PM   #72
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
I really wish I had some land to shoot on. I hate having to drive 45 minutes to shoot at the range for 30 minutes. Living in the burbs does have it's downsides.
Oh man..I feel your pain on that. I'm in Miami..The Everglades are right next to me and all. But they're too many gray areas with shooting down there. So I don't even bother.

I used to hit the range once a week. Sometimes twice a week. Now it's more like once a month.

I second that, I really want land. Badly.

To all of you guys who have land. I'm openly envious of that.

That kid on YouTube? FPS Russia or my favorite Hickok45. How amazing is that? Go into the backyard just to shoot when you're bored.

I love my country.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:54 PM   #73
CSHammond

If anyone else has been experiencing problems with Keltec's, go to ktog.org website and check out the fluff and buff technique there. It has some things to do polishing wise for the average joe to do to make it run smoothly. They do have some good firearms at good prices, and are American made. But yes, the kick on a PF9 is pretty wild, lol. I've had 1 before and just picked up a new gray with hard chrome slide through a trade.