The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2011, 09:26 AM   #1
beex215

im gonna do. help

i have this on the list

bullets mold-20
9mm die set-26.69
lee turret-66.99

powder-13.99 for 1lb
brass-30 for 1000
lead-20 for 20lbs
primers-25.99 for 1000

what am i missing? or what do you suggest thats better, or what site to buy from? im looking at grafs mainly
Old January 16, 2011, 10:33 AM   #2
howlnmad

How about a manual or three, a powder measure and scale, a caliper, case prep tools, a melting pot, flux, bullet lube?
Old January 16, 2011, 10:36 AM   #3
beex215

everything helps. its just so interesting and would like to start
Old January 16, 2011, 12:29 PM   #4
stealintv

For $99, you can get the Lee Anniversary kit that will have some of the tools you are missing. Do a search on here for "beginner reloading" or "starting reloading" and you will find the answers to what you are looking for.

A lot of the items you will need can be had on ebay for cheap.

As someone else stated buy a manual or three. I suggest buying a manual and reading it before you even buy anything else. Just buying all the equipment and components and asking questions online is a good way to blow up your firearm and probably injure yourself.

If you are set on the Lee press/kit, I say get Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading 2nd edition" That book will go over all the basics and steps and even explains how their products work.

Cheers!
Old January 16, 2011, 12:33 PM   #5
stealintv

a good link

I did a search for you. This is a recent post from someone asked a similar question.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434364

Enjoy!
Old January 16, 2011, 01:48 PM   #6
oneounceload

Why doesn't anyone read the Sticky at the top?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

OP - you might want to stick with reloading already-made bullets in the beginning. The above posts about MANUALS, SCALE, etc. are very important
Old January 16, 2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Smokey Joe

The first place to start...

Beex 215, in any new activity, is with knowledge gathering. The "standard textbook" of reloading is The ABC's of Reloading, put out by Krause Publishing, www.krause.com

Order from the publisher, or get it at yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, or over the I'net. But get it and READ IT. The ABC's covers all the basics of reloading, and goes 'way beyond. Belongs on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed, IMHO.

Having read that, you'll have a much clearer idea of what you must have to get started, what you want in addition, and what can wait 'til later. This book will save you from a bunch of potentially expensive (and possibly dangerous) mistakes.

I would agree with One Ounce Load: Start with ready-made bullets. Cartridge reloading and bullet casting are two separate activities, and you need a different set of equipment, AND a different set of knowledge for each. Learning one at a time, it might be easier for you to keep all the balls in the air, that you're juggling.

Buying a reloading kit is one way to go, but AFTER reading The ABC's, you'll know enough to buy the specific items you need/want, rather than buying some seller's choices.

One easy and cheap way to start with bottleneck rifle cases for a bolt action, is with the Lee hammer-it-in kit, which runs less than $25 for the whole shebang. A lot of us who are now engaged in much more esoteric areas of reloading started with that Lee kit (me too) and some who start with the Lee kit find that it is all they'll ever need.

But your first step in any case is to acquire knowledge. Get ye The ABC's.

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; January 16, 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.