The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
yggorf

Leopold VX-3 questions

I'm going to order one of these scopes, but have some questions for folks that have used Leopolds before:

1. Leopold offers at least 3 ballistic compensating solutions:
  • CDS - Custom Dial System -- engraved windage and elevation dials for a specific load
  • Custom Reticle - Mil-dot type reticle with dots set up for a specific load
  • BAS - Ballistic Aiming System

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? I assume if you have one you don't need the others, right?

P.S. I called Leopold to ask this and got some guy who didn't even know what the acronyms were for.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:54 PM   #2
thorntwins

I almost got the 4-12 VX3 with CDS but they don't offer it with a 50mm objective. Since very low light performance is important for me, that was a deal-breaker.

I didn't want the custom retical because it would only be good for one load. The BAS I really didn't like because you have to dial your power setting to get it to match your ballistics... why would you not want to use full power on your longest shots?

After looking at all of the premium scopes I went with a Swarovski Z3 with the BRH retical. They have an online calculator that lets you get the exact yardages for the retical and your precise load... really sweet. First day out after sighting it in at 100 yds easily plunked first two in a pie plate at 450 yards using the retical.