The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 17, 2010, 07:11 AM   #1
corvairkid64

Shotgun barrel doesn't "ring"?

This may be a dumb question. I just read a description of a used double barrel for sale with 2 barrel sets. In the description it states that one barrel set doesn't ring.
What does this mean?
Old June 17, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2
oneounceload

With chopper-lump-type barrels, if you were to hold one by a fingertip near the breech and "flick" the barrel with your finger, it would ring like a bell. As to why one does and one does not, I don't know. (The folks at doublegunshop.com might have that answer)
Old June 17, 2010, 07:35 AM   #3
johnbt

I believe it is a method of testing the solder joints between the barrels. If they're loose they'll buzz more than ring.
Old June 17, 2010, 09:59 AM   #4
zippy13

Barrel ring can be of two types: a ring like the noise from a bell, or a ring that you put on your finger.

Tapping a shotgun and listening for it to ring is an old school method of evaluation. I recall a story where a blacksmith was out of business because lightning had hit his anvil and it had lost its ring (rendering it useless). Some shotgun barrels actually have an ring to them when fired similar to an anvil being struck.

Then there's the ring gauge, or dimensional reference. Anyone familiar with a machine shop knows about ring gauges. They can be used to make direct measurements or for the calibration of other instruments. So, say you're a gun maker and you send a batch of new guns to the proof house. One of them is rejected because its bore diameter isn't with in the government specification -- as verified by the proof house's reference ring gauges. It could be said that the rejected barrel didn't ring. The same concept applies to over-sized bowling balls, you can DQ a tournament if your ball doesn't ring.
Old June 17, 2010, 10:55 AM   #5
BigJimP

Amazing .... "when I grow up, I want to be as well read as Zippy" ...

well said, and enlightening, my friend ....

but bowling balls ?? ......
Old June 17, 2010, 12:54 PM   #6
zippy13

I understand the PBA is pretty hard and fast about their 27-inch max circumference and 16-pound rule. If there's a question about ball size they used a ring in the old days, now it's probably some laser scanner. Any active bowlers out there?
Old June 17, 2010, 02:11 PM   #7
PetahW

The seller's describing something afoul with the ribs, either loose, or cracked solder that's allowed water between the barrel and rust to start.

When a good set of barrels are properly struck (rung), they will "ring" to the ear, indicating tight joints throughout.

Double gun barrels are thus tested via removing them from the action and suspending them from their hinge pin pivot notch while the side of each barrel is rung with a finger flick/knuckle or a small rubber hammer (in a shop).

In any event, a rib resoldering job is indicated at the minumum, or even a full re-ribbing job - a MUCH more expensive proposition, for non-DIY persons.

Old June 17, 2010, 02:12 PM   #8
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
ring of truth

I have a cousin that is a professional blacksmith and according to him the higher the quality of the steel the greater the chance of it ringing on impact with another hard object.I trust his professional opinion and I took that to mean that barrels that don't ring are of lesser quality material that ones that do ring, not to say that they will fail... but I no longer buy guns that wont make a little noise when struck. Everyone can make whatever they will of it but all my 16 guns "Ring True" and I have not yet had a problem with any of them.