The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2009, 10:28 AM   #26
Major Dave (retired)

I've been using the Chrony F-1

all along, and have learned a few things that might help.

First, time of day - no earlier than 10:00 am, nor later than 3:00 PM. This is to avoid sunlight coming from a low angle into the sensors.

Second, distance from muzzle - I always put the Chrony at 15 feet. Every time, consistently.

Third, diffuser screens - every time, clear sky, cloudy sky, shade trees, or not, no matter.

Fourth, consistent sight picture. I shoot only rifles, equipped with scopes. I align the vertical scope crosshair right in the center of the readout unit of the front sensor, and make sure that the rear sensor is also centered. This way, the flight path of the bullet is centered over both sensor, i.e., not at an angle, no matter how slight. This is easily achieved by turning the unit, during initial setup on your tripod, until the front diffuser rods obstruct your view of the rear diffuser rods. I raise the horizontal crosshair of the scope reticle until it is vertically centered on the brass coupling sleeves which join the two pieces of the diffuser support rods.The diffuser rods have two sections. Put the long section into the 4 corners of the base unit, first, then the short section on top, then attach the diffusers. By being sure you have raised your sight picture this high, you will NEVER hit the sensor unit. Also, by using the brass couplings as a consistent point of reference, vertically, every bullet will pass over the sensors at the same height - every time - consistently. IMHO, consistency is key.

Fifth - use fresh batteries, alkaline.

Hope this helps. It really isn't as complicated as it may initially seem to be.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); September 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typos
Old September 3, 2009, 12:52 PM   #27
snomhf

Thank you Major Dave. I will follow your advice.
Old September 3, 2009, 01:07 PM   #28
Claude Clay

another vote for beta master

i put a target board beyond my unit. place the 10 ring such that it protects the diffusers from scoped guns. 15' is good as any much closer and the muzzle blast from some guns [ 30-06] will literally blow away the deffusers. no damage but is a pia.

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 3, 2009, 02:13 PM   #29
Gbro

I also was plagued with erratic readings and overcome them this past weekend by taping a strip of cardboard onto the screens to cast a shadow over the sensors. Very easy to do and I had to readjust a couple time. I am going to add some rubber bands to this setup next time because of muzzle blast.
To me the crony is like a fish finder, even if I don't use it I feel lost without it at the range.

I checked all the BB guns the other day also. Very interesting! 1 pump, 2, 3, 4, 5,6 etc.
I was wasting a lot of energy pumping guns up for the grandchildren.(the little ones)
Old October 19, 2009, 02:00 PM   #30
cek

Arrrggg. I am incredibly frustrated with my Beta Master Chrony right now.

I have been to the range with it 4 times now, including this morning. After the last time I read this thread (and just about any other thread on the Internet I could find) I applied the guidance:
  • 15 feet away
  • Ensure the bullet travels perfectly parallel to the sensors 4-6" above. Place the target near the back of the chrony with the center 4-6" above the sensor.
  • Ensure the chrony is aligned with the barrel & target
  • Overcast day
This morning I started with 9mm and was extremely excited to find that I got accurate readings, reliably! I shot about 10 strings with various reloads and was very happy with the results.

It was a typical Seattle cloudy morning. No rain but a 'damp overcast'. Temperature was 58F. I was shooting the 9mm from 8:30 to 9:00am. I did NOT have to use the diffusers.

Without changing anything I switched to 45 ACP. I got nothing but Err 1s or readings of 200-300 FPS. After calling Chrony for advice I tried the following:
  • Moved the chrony closer (tried 5, 8, 10, & 15 feet).
  • Tried different heights (tried 2", 4", 6", 8" and 10" above the sensors).
  • Tried the diffusers (and without)

I got ONE accurate reading (750fps which is right where these rounds should be) but all others were either Err 1 (occasionally) or in the 200 to 300fps range. At one point when I moved the Chrony in closer (5-10 feet) I was getting 1300+fps repeatedly.

I finally gave up. Today should have been an ideal lighting day. It was bright but overcast enough that there were NO shadows.

Are these things really this hard to use?

Is my unit somehow defective?

Should I invest in one of the new LED lighting systems Chrony sells?
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old October 20, 2009, 05:18 PM   #31
chadman777

cek---hard to beat CED. Do the research, i ve had very good results w/mine, lots of useful features.
Old October 20, 2009, 07:22 PM   #32
cek

chadman,

I appreciate the suggestion. I just looked at the CED M2 and related info on their website and while I really wish I would have known about this before I bought the Chrony, it is not clear that my problems are actually due to the Chrony not being capable.

At the end of the CED M2 page

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object29

There is a long discussion of the factors that impact all chronographs. Even CED says that all chronogrpahs opererate w/in 8% of each other's performance.

I would love for someone to say definitively that this is a "hardware" problem; I seem to have tried everything. At the same time, I know I'm pretty clueless as an operator.

I'm going to debate myself on this for a while, but I suspect I'll just order a CED M2 with their IR illuminators. Then I'll put either it or the Chrony on eBay... Or both.
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old October 20, 2009, 08:31 PM   #33
Colorado Redneck

Frustrations with chronys

I too have had days where I was ready to commit hari kari over these darn things. I am not sure that I will ever figure out why sometimes the thing works pretty good and other times it is on and off and then back on.

The light seems to be one factor that can goof things up. And having the chrony too close to the muzzle is another.

Never has there been a complete day where things were out of whack. Maybe your chrony is messed up?

The most inconsistent data for me has been with a 357. I wrote a post in here complaining about it, and one of the members with a couple thousand posts said something like "If the gun shoots, ignore the chrony. I never give the chrony too much consideration." Maybe good advice.
Old October 20, 2009, 08:59 PM   #34
SQUAREKNOT

I just started with my first Chrony-1
With a .45 ACP at 5-10 feet I got 1300 +- fps
at 15' I got 350 fps +-
I had to back off to about 20+ feet to get good readings. I put the unit on a 2" x 8" plank stretched across the back of the pickup box and lined it up with my back stop. I used the screens always to get "good" readings.
I suspect these things have different quirks even with the same models.
Play with it until it works and stay with what works
Old October 20, 2009, 09:02 PM   #35
Jector

I've only had my chrony for a short time but have had been happy so far. The day I got it in the mail I tossed in a battery and tossed a matchbook through it in the garage under fluorescent lights. I through the damn thing at 4326 fps!

A little reading of the instructions revealed that fluorescent lights are bad for chronies. A bit more reading reveled that the diffusers are NOT always required. In no time I was happily shooting rubber bands over it, with no diffusers, under incandescent light at over 100 fps. Consistently.

They work on light, actually the lack of light, "shadows" so if your having trouble, screw with the light they are getting. Try removing the diffusers, try swinging the diffusers out to the side to shade the sensors, etc. If all else fails, you can always shoot it.
Old October 20, 2009, 10:14 PM   #36
PCJim

CEK - what 45acp bullets were you using, maybe lead? I've personally had instances of the the wax lubricant on lead bullets blowing off the bullet and being deposited on targets at 7 yards. This could have given errant readings.

Next time, try the 45acp on the first session with 9mm following. Errors can also be caused by the angle of the sun, hitting the sensor from the side.

Last edited by PCJim; October 21, 2009 at 09:21 PM.