The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2009, 07:09 PM   #26
Malamute

Usually on the seat next to me.

Old September 1, 2009, 07:41 PM   #27
MLeake

Stays in my standard OWB position

3:30-4:00, with a forward cant. As Pax noted, the issue is keeping the cover garment untangled from the seat belt. The seat belt itself is a non-factor. The forward cant is essential to grip access, though.

Or I may lock it in my center console vault, depending on what state I'm in. There are one or two where transport in the vehicle is ok, but my CCW has no reciprocity.

A friend of mine in FL has a mid 90's Chevy 4x4; it has a secondary glove compartment under the stereo, and he keeps a J-Frame there. Tap it, and it pops open, with the J-Frame in an attached holster. Pretty fast access, but it's not going anywhere without his drawing it.
Old September 5, 2009, 07:34 PM   #28
IDAHOMIKE

This will sound silly, but I use a cheap nylon universal holder lashed to the gear shifter with zip ties and expoxy. My two primary ccw pieces are of roughly the same size, so when I get in. Out of the IWB, onto the shifter. Easy to access in plain view for traffic stops, at drive thrus my legs block view of it. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old September 6, 2009, 05:09 PM   #29
radioflyer

I've noticed that some drivers have installed a kydex style holster either under the dash to their strong side or (if you have bucket seats) on the side of the seat. This might be a little extreme, but it's effective
Old September 7, 2009, 02:17 AM   #30
RyanJM

I live in TX

So my Taurus stays in the glove box or arm rest while driving. Take it out when I get to the range or house and put it in the carry case. While I'm at my shop I keep it in my fobus paddle holster concealed so I do scare customers who may stop to check on their cars. Soon as I het the chl in I will keep the holster on me but probably still keep the gun in the console for easier and faster accessibility.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:25 AM   #31
litework

I wrap the strap of my Maxpedition Versipack around my center armrest. The bag, and the gun, sit in the passenger seat or on the floor behind the armrest-if I have a passenger. It's very secure and accessible. I keep the weapon's holster in the same bag, along with a ton of other goodies, and wear the combo when I leave the vehicle.
Old September 7, 2009, 09:44 AM   #32
Claude Clay

the guns stay on my body

after i leave the house the car is my office and i am in & out of it all day.
one gun is carried for easy access while seated and belted [its the law!].
so my carry style for the 3 seasons--winter, spring/fall & summer
work for me according to how i dress and where i go.

is that not the reason for different style holsters and sizes & shapes of guns--
so you can choose?

Malamute--tough commute, ehh??

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old September 7, 2009, 10:35 AM   #33
TonsofOregonBrass

I keep my weapons on me, IWB holster.

if it is a rifle to the range it is on the seat next to me.

http://www.oregon-brass.com
Old September 7, 2009, 03:02 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Gun in trunk in case, unloaded, with ammo separate and not accessible as prescribed by our commie laws. Illinois of Amerika comrads. Be grateful if you CAN carry.
Same answer because I live in Wisconsin. I can open carry while not in the car but in the car I am in danger of getting my car, gun and hunting license privileges pulled for a few years because I must be a poacher if I have access to my gun.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 7, 2009, 04:01 PM   #35
Gutpile Charlie

24/7 I carry a J frame Smith in a pocket holster, right front pocket. On very rare occasions, I've used Bianchi shoulder rigs, however, pocket carry is the norm. On short trips around town, when I am exiting the vehicle to go into places in which concealed carry is allowed by law, I just leave it in my pocket.

Yes, I know you can't make a "fast draw" from a pocket holster, seated in a car, with a seat belt on, however, anytime I approach a situation in which access to a firearm while in the car might become necessary, I take it out of my pocket and place it in the lower center console, under the ash tray and radio.

On long, cross country trips, I just put it in that little drawer in the console. Now, when I exit the car to get gas, etc., it goes right back into my pocket. That is a place you might need it!

"A man's got to know his limitations." - Harry Callahan

Last edited by Gutpile Charlie; September 7, 2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old September 11, 2009, 07:02 PM   #36
BIKENUT06

carry it in my center counsole for quick access
Old September 18, 2009, 10:19 PM   #37
cb18bek

canvas pouch in the center console.