The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 20, 2001, 09:31 PM   #1
dwesson445

Miculek Video

As soon as someone sees the new Jerry Miculek video from Dillon I'd love to see a review. I'm on the fence for ordering one. Thanks!.
Old July 25, 2001, 04:29 PM   #2
GrandmasterB

Are you talking about "Ultimate Advanced Revolver" with Jerry Miculek?

If so, I just bought it. It is pretty good and informative, but it is hard for me to really learn from a video. He gives lots of pointers and tips, but it will take me lots of practice to do things anywhere close to what he does.

From a pure entertainment aspec, watching him dry-fire and shoot as fast as he does is amazing. He's also so consistent with his splits that it is almost creepy!

I wish they could do a video as seen from the shooter's perspective. I want to see what they are talking about when they say "follow your sights and call your shots". It seems like this is easy to say, but really hard to teach somebody. You can go for years and never "see" your sights and your shots.
Old July 25, 2001, 10:37 PM   #3
dwesson445

I'm most interested in his reloading technique. Can you give me an idea what sequence he follows? (I know, I should just buy the tape...)
Old July 29, 2001, 08:52 PM   #4
GrandmasterB

You kinda have to see it, but he stresses that smooth wood grips help him slide his hands around to get the gun in position to reload. He also analyzes all of his movements. If the movement isn't necessary, he eliminates it. (e.g. if he is moving more than he needs to, he minimizes the movements to be a quick and efficient and repeatable as possible.)

He goes through a couple of different techniques, strong hand loading and weak hand too.

The video is worth the price. You'd have to spend a lot more in practice ammo to learn all of those techniques by yourself.

Hope this helps...
Old July 30, 2001, 05:25 PM   #5
hickman

GrandmasterB, I believe that what he means with "follow your sights and call your shots", is to try to follow your front sight during the recoil, reaquiring it as soon as possible after the shot, and try to predict or "call" where you think the shot went BEFORE taking your eyes off your sight picture and looking at the target. The calling of shots is done regularly in precision rifle shooting as an aid to proper timing of trigger release in conjunction with your sight picture on the target. I haven't seen the video, so I may not be capturing what he meant.

Last edited by hickman; August 1, 2001 at 07:34 AM.