The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 21, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Lama

Problem with new Ruger 22/45

I went out plinking with my new Ruger and had a problem with misfeeds..."no-feeds" actually ! I took a close look at both magazines, and they were hanging up at random places, in spite of the strong spring compression. I'm not sure what the best approach is to fixing this....oiling the magazine seems like it could create other problems...grease would be the same. Any recommendations?
Old August 21, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2
spacecoast

Try disassembling the magazines and see if any crud has gotten lodged in them somehow. Maybe they were dropped in the dirt or something.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Dragline45

Because of the magazine disconnect in the 22/45 the magazines wont seat all the way unless you give them a good whack while inserting it, just inserting it all the way and then giving it a whack while it's in is not enough. As you are inserting the magazine and you start to feel a little resistance when it is almost fully inserted, then you want to whack that SOB in there. Inherent flaw of the pistol but I still love mine. Often times when I take people shooting, almost everyone who shoots my 22/45 has this problem. You will actually notice that when the slide is locked back magazines insert normally like any other pistol would, but when the slide is closed the magazines need to be slammed in to lock in place.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 21, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 21, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Lama

I did take the magazines apart...they were clean, but I cleaned them up anyway.

The magazine that has the most consistent problem hangs up when there is the maximum 10 cartridges loaded. The first one, and sometimes the second cartridge can fall out without advancing the remaining cartridges. If you tap the magazine, it breaks free.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:08 PM   #5
Andrewh

call ruger and see if they will send you out new ones next year when they get another batch. (as everyone seems to be out of mags for that gun).
Old August 23, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
g.willikers

It's ok to lightly lube the insides of the mags and the springs, too.
Check to see if the followers are free to travel up and down the full length of the mag interior, both with and without the springs in place.
Smooth the sides of the followers, if needby.
Old August 23, 2013, 08:48 PM   #7
blchandl2

What kind of ammo are you using? They don't like truncated cone bullets.