The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 20, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1
kcub

Would someone school me on current/recent Walther models?

I am leery since Umarex bought them out as some models may be cheesy Walther-in-name-only hunks of crap such as the new PPK/S .22.
Old July 21, 2013, 02:08 PM   #2
RBid

The P99, PPQ, and probably the PPX are "real" Walthers. I think Walther is still doing the PPK through other people, but I'm not 100% on that. Any of the 3 service pistols I listed above are going to be reliable, have outstanding triggers for the type, and have strong to best-in-category ergonomics.

In my opinion, the PPQ is one of the best poly pistols on the market.
Old July 21, 2013, 02:43 PM   #3
ftttu

My sister got a PPQ a few months ago after having tested a few other popular pistols that are out right now at her local range. I fired fewer than 50 rounds through it, but it was flawless still the same. I did have a complaint on the trigger guard magazine release since I wasn't used to it, but they since addressed that on the latest release. I wouldn't mind carrying one someday as my duty weapon. Also, check out that PPQ Navy test video put out by the Helenic spec ops guys.
Old July 21, 2013, 03:04 PM   #4
RBid

I had a PPQ with the paddle release. It was flawless through more than 5,500 rounds. I traded out of it when I heard that they were putting out the M2, and discovered that the mags were not compatible. About a month after trading out of it, I heard that they decided to continue offering the M1, as well.

I am... bitter. I'll eventually buy 2.
Old July 21, 2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Herr Walther

The PP series was discontinued in Germany a decade or so ago. It's history.

It lives on via Smith & Wesson manufacturing the PPK and PPK/S. Before Smith & Wesson manufactured these two, Interarms in Gadsen, Alabama manufactured the PPK, PPK/S, and TPH. The PP is no longer manufactured anywhere. The German models while manufactured overseas, this series was manufactured in Manhurin, France near the German border. They were exported back to Ulm for polishing, blueing, roll marking, and assembly.

The PP Super was discontinued around 1978-79.

The P88 was discontinued in 1992.

The P5 has also been discontinued as the fulfillment of the contract with the Dutch has been completed. Just in time for the Dutch to select another 9mm to replace the P5.

The P99 was imported to the States in 1996, conceived and prototyped in 1994. I had #100237 I purchased in 1996, 1st variation. It arrived with factory 16 round Mec-Gar magazines and white outline rear sight.

After the P99 was designed I haven't paid too much attention to what Walther has produced. I don't really care too much what I've seen except the PPS.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 21, 2013, 04:12 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
... hunks of crap such as the new PPK/S .22.
Have yet to see anyone that owns one describe the new PPK/s that way, So far reports are that it's a solid, well made gun.

My P99c was a fine pistol. Newer P series are receiving high marks. Only complaints I've read are for excessive muzzle rise.

Last edited by PSP; July 21, 2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old July 21, 2013, 06:34 PM   #7
vyse.04

Quote:
Have yet to see anyone that owns one describe the new PPK/s that way, So far reports are that it's a solid, well made gun.
Yeah, I think most of the negative views are a result of the Walther P22 (which I am not a fan of). I haven't shot the new PPK though.
Old July 21, 2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Herr Walther

I was selling the P22 when it first hit these shores. It was an average seller. It's biggest selling point was it's price tag. About $250-$275 in 2002-03.

Many, many malfunctions with a lot of examples. Very ammunition finicky at that time. I'm not sure ow they are now so I can't comment on recent P22's.

What I can comment on is the number of recalls Walther has had lately, or at least this decade as compared to the last 90 years. I don't ever remember hearing or reading about a recall ever in the history of Walther until this decade and the last decade.

As I said earlier I'm not much impressed with Walther after 1996 with the exception of the PPS.

Since I have been researching and collecting Walther handguns for the last 30 years I can't remember ever being this disappointed with their product line as I am right now. I don't ever expect to see the glory days of Walther again. I think now their time has passed with the exception of the P99 and PPS.

That is about average for Walther though. They have made on average four or five models at a time with maybe two being the flagship of the company.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 21, 2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
As I said earlier I'm not much impressed with Walther after 1996 with the exception of the PPS.
Actually you said something completely different. You said:

Quote:
After the P99 was designed I haven't paid too much attention to what Walther has produced.
If you haven't paid attention, how would you know anything about the quality of Walther pistols?
Old July 21, 2013, 07:58 PM   #10
balance

Quote:
What I can comment on is the number of recalls Walther has had lately, or at least this decade as compared to the last 90 years. I don't ever remember hearing or reading about a recall ever in the history of Walther until this decade and the last decade.
I don't believe that any of the Walther pistols made in the Ulm plant (P99, PPQ, PPS, PPX) have had any recalls within the past 10 years.

Maybe it is Umarex pistols (P22, G22, SP22, PK380, PPK/s .22) you are thinking of.

Quote:
Since I have been researching and collecting Walther handguns for the last 30 years I can't remember ever being this disappointed with their product line as I am right now. I don't ever expect to see the glory days of Walther again. I think now their time has passed with the exception of the P99 and PPS.
I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm satisfied with what they have been putting out this decade. Since the release of the P99, they've released the PPS, PPQ, and PPX. Not too many owners of these pistols make complaints about reliability or durability. Most people like these aspects of these pistols, and comments about better than average triggers are common.

The Umarex products are junk, IMO, but the fact that Umarex purchased Walther back in 1993 (before they released or designed any of their polymer pistols) hasn't stopped them from releasing top quality pistols, like the P99, PPQ, and PPS. I've owned all three. I have no experience with the PPX.
Old July 21, 2013, 08:04 PM   #11
Ajtozzi

Would someone school me on current/recent Walther models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftttu View Post
I did have a complaint on the trigger guard magazine release since I wasn't used to it, but they since addressed that on the latest release.
Correction: they did not fix it with the current release, they screwed it up.
Old July 21, 2013, 08:06 PM   #12
Herr Walther

I agree. I don't think Umarex is the problem. I just don't know what is the problem. Yes, the recalls were the Umarex pistols.

Whether QC is lacking or they are not testing their designs enough before production, I can't say. My contact with Walther Germany is not available to me any longer.

I have had no inside information from Germany since around 2003.
Old July 24, 2013, 04:19 AM   #13
kcub

What about the P99 Compact? It looks nice and small. How is 40 recoil out of this puppy?

Also what about the "quick action"? Glock-like?

Last edited by kcub; July 24, 2013 at 04:42 AM.