The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 10, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
TheBear

Uberti lightning

Hi,

I found this last week:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/lightning.php

Its a pump action .357mag and im thinking about getting one for plinking, small game hunting...

Anyone of you who has experience with the rifle? or with uberti rifles at all?
Old January 10, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

Uberti lever rifles are by far the top rifles in cowboy action shooting. The pump action rifles are rather uncommon. The pumps have a reputation of being finicky. In my club there is only one person who shoots a pump. My guess is they are probably fine for non match shooting.
Old January 10, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I was interested in one of those, just to be different, I couldn't find 2 regular shooters who were able to shoot them without intermitent problems... that said, some or most may have been refering to the Rossi / Tauri models... Uberti has a better reputation for sure, but if I remember right, there were a couple of Uberti's that had some issues from the factory... I never heard if they were able to be resolved or not ???
Old January 10, 2013, 05:17 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

This gun may be made by Pedersoli. Pedersoli makes guns for other Italian manufacturers and Pedersoli sells a pump called the Lightning. I was going to buy one a couple of years ago and did a lot of research at the time. Everything I could find on the subject talked about jamming and feeding issues. I ended up not getting one. I'm not bashing Pedersoli in any way. I own four of their rifles right now and the fit and finish is superb on all four of them and they are extremely accurate. It just might be the nature of the beast with this gun, caliber, and/or design. I didn't want to spend over a thousand dollars to find out. If I start hearing about how well these things are working now or in the future I may change my mind and get one. They sure do look appealing.
Old January 12, 2013, 06:31 AM   #5
hodaka

I bought the Taurus in .45 Colt about 7-8 years ago. It is a blast to shoot. Of course it was about 1/2 of what the Uberti is going for. By holding the trigger down you can fire when pumping. Of course you can't hit anything that way. I really like mine. It is light, carries a bunch of bullets in the magazine and a 255 gr slug has some authority. Never had a jam problem although for the first 100 rounds or so I had some light hammer strikes. I would love to have the Uberti.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Strafer Gott

+1 Hodaka. Would it hold up in a match? Maybe a few if it wasn't short stroked and force jammed. In normal hunting mode it is a joy to shoot. Cyclic rate of fire is not it's strong point. Pump it deliberately and your good to go.
Old January 12, 2013, 12:01 PM   #7
hodaka

It would depend on the match. Our carbine matches typically have 100-150 rounds. I would think that would be a bunch. I've never fired it more than 50 at a time. I love those .45 holes though.
Old January 13, 2013, 04:28 AM   #8
TheBear

After some research i found this:
When the chamber is loaded the forend does not lock in place. You need to keep forward pressure on the forend to keep the bolt forward and the action in battery.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:34 AM   #9
hodaka

I've never experienced that problem.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Strafer Gott

No, mine locks up tight. I worry more about warm loads.