The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 15, 2011, 12:30 AM   #1
Mr.Blue

Kel Tec KSG Shotgun

Anybody know when these will be available for sale? The ones on gunbroker are fakes as per Kel Tec, as none have shipped out yet.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:35 AM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Supposedly Q3/Q4 this year, but we won't know for sure until Kel-Tec announces they are shipping.
Old August 15, 2011, 05:29 PM   #3
FrosSsT

for around $800 im not too anxious
Old August 15, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Mr.Blue

Quote:
FrosSsT for around $800 im not too anxious
If reliability is not an issue, it could be the ultimate home defense gun. To me, it's worth it. To each their own.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; August 15, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
C0untZer0

When they first came out at Shot Show I was really interested in them. And I've seen the videos of Nut n' Fancy running around in the sesert shooting them and everything...

I really don't think they are going to be the ultimate HD weapon. If you look at a Benelli M4 or a Mossberg 930 SPX - these autos (and others) can put a double tap on someone as quick as or more quickly than you can do it with a pistol, and more quickly than you can do it with a pump.

With 8 or 9 rounds... it's more than enough IMO to deal with any HD situation.

So... the more I thought about it the less inclined I was to get a KSG.

I think the autos are faster shooting and hold enough ammo.

So I really need 15 rounds of shotgun ammo?

Now if they came out with that thing in auto configuation - especially if it switched between tubes... I'd pay a thousand bucks for it and I'd pre-order.
Old August 15, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Mr.Blue

Those are huge guns though. This Kel Tec was designed to be much more maneuverable. Size + capacity make this a interesting gun.
Old August 16, 2011, 04:50 AM   #7
bitttorrrent

I think i would be interested as is pretty cool looking and holds 14 or so rounds.

negatives, is that after watching a video, that is a whole lot of pumping, and the guys in the video were really jamming on it.

An auto sounds better and I am still trying to find a pmr-30. I should be able to run in and just buy one, but they seem to be nonexistent or there is one on gb.com which they have jacked up in price.

no availability to me means no interest.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:07 PM   #8
FrosSsT

"If reliability is not an issue, it could be the ultimate home defense gun. To me, it's worth it. To each their own."

You can get a Saiga 12 for under 600 bucks, which is semi auto and will hold just as many rounds if not more with the right magazine. You can also make it shorter in length with a collapsible stock. But my real thought is this...

If you need 14 shotgun shells to defend your home you might want to save the 800 dollars and buy a plane ticket to a better neighborhood

Last edited by FrosSsT; August 16, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old August 16, 2011, 09:23 PM   #9
colostomyclown

check back in 30-50 years when the reliabilty of an 870 or 500/590 has been established...they look cool and the design is right, just not proven. i cant justify spending on when I'd grab an "older" shotgun over it time and time and time again.
Old August 17, 2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Mr.Blue

Quote:
check back in 30-50 years when the reliabilty of an 870 or 500/590 has been established...they look cool and the design is right, just not proven. i cant justify spending on when I'd grab an "older" shotgun over it time and time and time again
I have an 870 and a 500. Should I not be interested in a new design? Variety is the spice of life.

Quote:
You can get a Saiga 12 for under 600 bucks, which is semi auto and will hold just as many rounds if not more with the right magazine. You can also make it shorter in length with a collapsible stock. But my real thought is this...

If you need 14 shotgun shells to defend your home you might want to save the 800 dollars and buy a plane ticket to a better neighborhood
1. I don't like Saigas. They are Ruskie crap. To get one running reliably, you can spend over $1k. I'd much rather buy from an American company.

2. I live in an upscale subdivision, but like the idea of having so much firepower in case of home invasion. I know I'll probably never need it, but it's just like getting a hi cap handgun. It's better to have it than to not have it and need it.

Last edited by Mr.Blue; August 17, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:03 PM   #11
Technosavant

Quote:
Saigas for $600 are a thing of the past... the distributor pricing has gone way up on them. You CAN put a 20 round drum on one, but then again, it's heavy and not maneuverable. Furthermore, a collapsible stock won't do one single thing to make the Saiga easier to maneuver and shoot... you still have a long action and a long barrel, and if you put a folding stock on there it will be difficult to shoot. So no, I wouldn't think the S12 is necessarily the end all be all or a better concept than the KSG (and I have an S12).

The thing about the KSG for me isn't so much the unproven nature, although that is part of it (it won't take 50 years to show, I figure 3-4 years should be sufficient to show if there's issues). It's that it costs as much as a pair of 500s or 870s. Sure, you can switch ammo, but with two Mossberg 500s, you can keep each one loaded differently; just grab the other gun. The one area where the KSG really shines is maneuverability, but I'm not sure that's enough of a benefit to draw my attention at that price point.

They do look cool, and if I ever see one for $400, it will come home with me, but I don't think that will ever happen, even used.
Old August 17, 2011, 07:45 PM   #12
FrosSsT

Im not bashing on the KSG. All I said is that Im not too anxious to see them come out soon for the price tag, and in fact, Im going to pick one up when they come out. And if you cant get a saiga for 600 - 700, your getting taken for a long long ride by whoever you purchase from
Old August 17, 2011, 09:05 PM   #13
ws6_keith

Also remember few other key points about the KSG:
  • It's dual 7 round tube mags keep it Kalifornistan legal, unlike the Saiga (think resale).
  • Doing slug-selects with a Saiga is a big PITA. With selectable tubes, much easier.
  • Loading looks to stay on point with current bottom fed, tube mag, pump shotguns. Nothing new to learn there.
  • Compact bullpup design means shorter package for breeches, or CQB in general.

That said, my 590A1 Vang Comp is still my go-to shotgun. The Saiga stays in the safe if my life is on the line. Once the selling frenzy and price wars settle down, I'll try to pick up a KSG.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:59 PM   #14
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mr Blue, the Saiga I had for testing for a year or so ate everything and functioned 100% with all kinds of ammo. It was bone stock.

I liked it, but I'm still shooting my 870s...
Old August 17, 2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Mr.Blue

You may have been lucky, Dave. I'm glad yours is running smoothly, but the people I know who have them don't trust them. I wish it wasn't the case, or I may have picked one up.
Old August 18, 2011, 07:53 AM   #16
loose_holster_dan

i want one! reliable or not, the thing looks freakin sweet! i want one if for no other reason than to goof off with way back in the woods or show off to my friends.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 18, 2011, 08:15 AM   #17
5.56RifleGuy

Every siaga I have seen has run right. I dont know why some people have problems with them, but my friend and I have done conversions on 6 or 7 of them and they all worked great.
Old August 18, 2011, 08:38 AM   #18
bitttorrrent

ok, enough about the saiga or whatever.

I have 2-3 people waiting for this KSG and we talk about it everytime I mention shotgun.

When is this thing coming out and will it be available like the pmr-30 - which I still do not have.

Kel-tech better step up production - hire a few more people and get these guns out. People will buy them including me.

I will buy both ksg and pmr-30 if they were in the gunstore or available.
Old August 18, 2011, 09:53 AM   #19
Technosavant

Quote:
When is this thing coming out and will it be available like the pmr-30 - which I still do not have.
They had been saying fall, but Kel-Tec has not been great about their products being available in volume. The RFB isn't all that readily available either. I've seen ONE PMR-30 right after they came out. I don't expect to lay eyes on a KSG anytime soon.

All I can say is that if you want the things, find a gun dealer who will put in an order for you, because waiting to see one in stock is likely to end in tears.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:27 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Those are huge guns though. This Kel Tec was designed to be much more maneuverable.
There is far more to being "maneuverable" than just totin' it down the street to the liquor store...

This thing is going to be grossly unbalanced, un pointable and just a PITA IMNSHO...

As far as being "maneuverable"... Any single shot shotgun with any length of barrel... even a 36" barrel... is more "maneuverable" than the KSG if it has to maneuver thru a 2 inch wide gap...

Everything has a place and so far that KSG will find plenty of new homes that I will not have to worry with any strays following me home.

Brent
Old August 18, 2011, 03:24 PM   #21
Mr.Blue

I'm thinking the delay at Kel Tec could be them trying to iron out the wrinkles. I know they had to make multiple changes to the prototypes after speaking with law enforcement and so called gun experts. Let's not forget that they will probably sell a lot of these to law enforcement.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:26 PM   #22
TxGun

If the KelTec proves itself reliable, and the price point is reasonable, I'll definitely be interested.
Old August 18, 2011, 03:48 PM   #23
Stressfire

Quote:
i want one! reliable or not, the thing looks freakin sweet!
With you all the way, I love the look & size, and I'm not even a big fan of shotguns.

However, I think I might give it just a little while to see how it actually pans out in user reviews.

Will also give me time to save up $$
Old August 18, 2011, 04:05 PM   #24
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Since I haven't range tested a KSG yet, this is just hypothesizing, but here's a couple POTENTIAL problems with the design....

First, moving the magazine OVER the barrel means more capacity and a recoil thrust more in a straight line, but those tubes are more exposed. Combat arms are built sturdily in part because they get knocked around a lot. I hope those tubes are strong.

I have some experience with the old High Standard bullpup shotgun and that Mossberg version. Some with bullpup rifles also. None had a decent trigger, all ran from bad to absolutely horrible. A downside to the design, and possibly unavoidable.

Then there's weight. With 15 rounds aboard, this has to run close to 9 lbs BEFORE anyone adds sights, bayonets, lazers, coffeemakers etc.

And with one tube empty and one full, this will be a good lb heavier on one side, which has to affect handling.

I'll reserve judgement on the KSG like I said, but I doubt it will make me sell off my 870s...
Old August 18, 2011, 04:22 PM   #25
NightSleeper

Quote:
Those are huge guns though. This Kel Tec was designed to be much more maneuverable. Size + capacity make this a interesting gun.
I agree with Mr.Blue. It may be a bit 'tacty-cool' to some people but it looks to be a great gun. With 2 magazines you can choose which type of shell to shoot - bird shot, buckshot, slug, whatever you want. You have more control over a situation than you would with a single mag pump or semi or double barrel.

Sure, my Benelli pump is good enough. But this one looks interesting. I'm not about to rush off and get one when they ship though. I'll wait awhile for the reviews to come out. But if they prove reliable I'll plop down $800 for it.